Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
HiTcHen wAs a GoOd TaLenT spoTtEr

Tanguy Ndombélé
Davinson Sánchez
Giovani Lo Celso
Steven Bergwijn
Sergio Reguilón
Lucas Moura
Ryan Sessegnon
Serge Aurier
Vincent Janssen
Matt Doherty
Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg
Giovani Lo Celso
Fernando Llorente
Juan Foyth
Joe Rodon
Jack Clarke
Gedson Fernandes
Carlos Vinícius
Pau López
Joe Hart

Not on his watch:

Dejan Kulusevski
Emerson Royal
Moussa Sissoko
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou
Bryan Gil
Rodrigo Bentancur
Pape Sarr
Victor Wanyama
Michel Vorm

But you are explaining what happened to the team, from high-pressing to low block. This happened as a direct result of but in no particular order 1) Midfield shot to bits with Dembele unable to play, Wanyamma unable to play 2) recruiting Tripps who was completely the wrong profile of player to play FB 3) Rose declining 4) The above having an effect of us controlling/dominating games & not being able to press 5) Kane being overplayed International-Spurs-International-Spurs for almost 3 straight seasons 6) Compensating player positions to now fill these issues 7) Sacking a manager 8) Hiring the king of the low/mid-block who intern then is given the keys to the transfer kitty hiring his profile of players after waiting 1.5 seasons be fraudulently telling everyone he had changed and was no longer a low block cunt but had no idea how to play as a high-pressing team 9) Sacking him and hiring another low/mid-block king.

But all this happened as a slow death (which also started under Poch but I will always wonder what would be had Poch was allowed the time to rebuild around Ndombele for instance).

I also think this is why Conte is perfect hire not only for the short term (now) but for the future to, he's a great track record of building teams, so when he leaves there's no implosion. I also think we've hired some exciting young players that fit the profile that could be used in a more progressive playing style a new manager (I'm assuming Conte leaves after 2-3yrs) could get to grips with.

It's both. We didn't play a high pressing game when Redknapp's side was tearing teams apart. Even the first season of AVB where the football wasn't great but we were winning more than losing. As soon as the fear factor goes, opposition teams are more encouraged to have a go.

I don't disagree with anything you say about our decline by the way. I'm just saying there's another dynamic.

I don't think the high press, high intensity game is sustainable for most teams. You need young and fit players to do it. Invariably if it's a success, those young players become household names and fan favourites but they stop being able to handle the system by 26/27 and ideally need to be moved on (not all)
Fans won't tolerate it though and will accuse the club of being unambitious and a selling club. So they keep the players until they're broken and can' handle the system anymore and end up where we are.

Therein lies the biggest issue primarily. Ultimately Hitchen is probably a good talent spotter, but all these hyped up scouts have pretty mixed records, particularly when sending larger sums. But the ones who do beat are the ones with a modicum of gravitas who can manage upwards as well as downwards. It’s all well and good saying ‘Hitchen was never properly backed otherwise he’d have been a success’. Levy has always been careful about spending. But the people who got him to spend were those with the balls to push back when he started to go all Levy. And they still had mixed records attracting players, but they also managed to get in quality. Baldini, Redknapp, Comilli, Arnesen, they knew how to work Levy. This guy either just did what the manager wanted (Ndombele, Lo Celso) or did what Levy told him to.

The role needs a man, not a mouse.

This is true but we know that if you're not a yes man to Levy the chances are you won't be there for long.

Not on his watch:

Dejan Kulusevski
Emerson Royal
Moussa Sissoko
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou
Bryan Gil
Rodrigo Bentancur
Pape Sarr
Victor Wanyama
Michel Vorm

He was still head of recruitment for most. Therefore on his watch, there may have been some cross over with Mitchell there but their records are even comparable in terms of quality.

It's both. We didn't play a high pressing game when Redknapp's side was tearing teams apart. Even the first season of AVB where the football wasn't great but we were winning more than losing. As soon as the fear factor goes, opposition teams are more encouraged to have a go.

I don't disagree with anything you say about our decline by the way. I'm just saying there's another dynamic.

I don't think the high press, high intensity game is sustainable for most teams. You need young and fit players to do it. Invariably if it's a success, those young players become household names and fan favourites but they stop being able to handle the system by 26/27 and ideally need to be moved on (not all)
Fans won't tolerate it though and will accuse the club of being unambitious and a selling club. So they keep the players until they're broken and can' handle the system anymore and end up where we are.
Great post.
This is true but we know that if you're not a yes man to Levy the chances are you won't be there for long.
This feels like a vague criticism. What does it mean to be a yes man? Perhaps Hitchen understood there were constraints to his job (as there are in every job) and worked his best within them.

Tanguy Ndombélé
Davinson Sánchez
Moussa Sissoko
Giovani Lo Celso
Steven Bergwijn
Sergio Reguilón
Lucas Moura
Ryan Sessegnon
Serge Aurier
Bryan Gil
Emerson Royal
Vincent Janssen
Rodrigo Bentancur
Pape Sarr
Matt Doherty
Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg
Giovani Lo Celso
Fernando Llorente
Victor Wanyama
Juan Foyth
Joe Rodon
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou
Jack Clarke
Dejan Kulusevski
Gedson Fernandes
Carlos Vinícius
Pau López
Michel Vorm
Joe Hart
Giovani Lo Celso is on your list twice, :levywtf:

He was still head of recruitment for most. Therefore on his watch

Not for the ones I removed from your list, he wasn't.

That's not to say that last 4/5 years haven't been inadequate regardless of who's been heading up the scouting/recruitment department. That said it's been made perfectly evident that Poch had a hand in a lot of those considered costly errors though... And of course Levy will have had his say from a financial point of view too.

Lets hope Fab can get this whole departmental revamp right and put this crap behind us. Ditto our youth process that seems to have stalled considerably too.

Tanguy Ndombélé
Davinson Sánchez
Moussa Sissoko - Before Hitchen
Giovani Lo Celso
Steven Bergwijn
Sergio Reguilón
Lucas Moura Good signing
Ryan Sessegnon
Serge Aurier
Bryan Gil
Emerson Royal
Vincent Janssen Before Hitchen
Rodrigo Bentancur Hasn't played yet. Also Paratici
Pape Sarr Hasn't played yet. Also Paratici
Matt Doherty
Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg
Giovani Lo Celso
Fernando Llorente Good signing
Victor Wanyama Good signing
Juan Foyth
Joe Rodon
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou Before hitchen
Jack Clarke
Dejan Kulusevski Hasn't played yet. Also Paratici
Gedson Fernandes
Carlos Vinícius
Pau López
Michel Vorm Before Hitchen
Joe Hart

Some aren't bad players, just not what we need. Could argue getting what we need is actually the important part of scouting.
Can also assume some of those players weren't anything to do with him and was agent favours

Some aren't bad players, just not what we need. Could argue getting what we need is actually the important part of scouting.
Can also assume some of those players weren't anything to do with him and was agent favours
Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante

Bergwijn, Reggy and Sess are still young, they could still become very good players.

Let's also reserve our judgement on Bryan til he's had a real chance at Spurs, which, fingers crossed, he'll get after a successful loan spell at Valencia.

Hoj is no world beater, but he's still done pretty well. And we didn't really pay an outrageous fee for him.

Foyth was a cheap gamble. Didn't work out at Spurs but it looks like he's gonna forge himself a nice career in Spain. He's still a young lad...

I agree Hitchy & co have got it wrong on plenty occasions, but not as many as you think

Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante

Bergwijn, Reggy and Sess are still young, they could still become very good players.

Let's also reserve our judgement on Bryan til he's had a real chance at Spurs, which, fingers crossed, he'll get after a successful loan spell at Valencia.

Hoj is no world beater, but he's still done pretty well. And we didn't really pay an outrageous fee for him.

Foyth was a cheap gamble. Didn't work out at Spurs but it looks like he's gonna forge himself a nice career in Spain. He's still a young lad...

I agree Hitchy & co have got it wrong on plenty occasions, but not as many as you think

And we turned a profit

Hard to know who was his job there, but I guess just a few of them. As you can see some are panic buys, some were agent favours, as you stated, and some were clearly Poch demands. I guess english young "talents" like Sessegnon, Rondon and Clarke were his job. Doherty, Bergwijn, Sanchez and Hojbjerg probably on him too. It's a pretty mediocre job in fact.

It seems some are less damning of the current squad than me. Lets compare to the previous guy who spend 20% of Hitchens total:

Heung-min Son - Brilliant
Toby Alderweireld - Brilliant
Clinton N'Jie - N'nnnnngggg
Ben Davies - Bang Average
Federico Fazio - Faziwhat???
Dele Alli - A steal at what we paid
Kevin Wimmer - Naff
Benjamin Stambouli - shitehawk
Michel Vorm - WAY past his best
Eric Dier - Decent
Kieran Trippier - Great
DeAndre Yedlin - USA, USA, USA!!!

The guy had a great eye for talent.

Poch chose Lo Celso over Bruno, even the player himself said something along those lines

We had agreed a fee of £25 million for Grealish (his brother confirmed he'd even been to the stadium on Villa forums) and the new Villa owners said part of the takeover deal had to be that Grealish wasn't sold

Dybala it seems we were close but then it became aparant about the 3rd party ownership and we rightly back out

James Ward Prowse.... haven't we been 'supposedly' trying to sign him since Hoddle was still here

Bur yeah, you lot keep up with your anti-Levy bias.

Hitchen as a scout was never the problem. But either he didn't have the negotiation skills to get deals over the lines, or the ability to get Levy and the manager to properly listen to him.

Good scout. Questionable DOF.
He was never a DOF thought, so you can't judge him as one.

He was talked with finding players and recommending them.

After that it was down to the manager and levy, which is where it falls down.

Poch chose Lo Celso over Bruno, even the player himself said something along those lines

We had agreed a fee of £25 million for Grealish (his brother confirmed he'd even been to the stadium on Villa forums) and the new Villa owners said part of the takeover deal had to be that Grealish wasn't sold

Dybala it seems we were close but then it became aparant about the 3rd party ownership and we rightly back out

James Ward Prowse.... haven't we been 'supposedly' trying to sign him since Hoddle was still here

Bur yeah, you lot keep up with your anti-Levy bias.
Anti-Levy bias? What? So you are defending Hitchen saying he was getting deals for good players and then the club not paying up because of who? Yes levy. And I’m the anti levy guy? Sorry don’t see it.

Great post.

This feels like a vague criticism. What does it mean to be a yes man? Perhaps Hitchen understood there were constraints to his job (as there are in every job) and worked his best within them.

It's more the reality at Spurs than a criticism, when you have a chairman that doesn't or wouldn't but out of running the football side then your role because redundant as you will be undermined as he is the one making the key decisions.

Steve Hitchin was a yes man just like every other head of/Dir who worked under Levy as far as running the football because it was either his way or the high way, thankfully he's relinquished a bit of control now and he's giving Fabio more freedom to work.

I thought that would be self evident. If not I suspect the performance of the team for the rest of the season will clarify things for you.

When we still look terrible on the right. Can’t get the ball forward from mf and Kane gets injured you might wonder if it was any one’s job to resolve these problems. You may having done then considered how you think that person has performed.

Just sayin.

That period was doomed. No way we would form a competitive team with Poch shite judgement of players, Hitchen as chief scout and Levy fucking the deals for pennies. That was probably one of the worst combination in the histoy of the football transfers and if it standed for some more years we would probably be relegated.

It's more the reality at Spurs than a criticism, when you have a chairman that doesn't or wouldn't but out of running the football side then your role because redundant as you will be undermined as he is the one making the key decisions.

Steve Hitchin was a yes man just like every other head of/Dir who worked under Levy as far as running the football because it was either his way or the high way, thankfully he's relinquished a bit of control now and he's giving Fabio more freedom to work.

Again... Not what Arnesen has to say on the subject.

Commoli enjoyed a decent level of clout too....

As did Poch.... So much so, that Hitchins has passed the buck onto him; not Levy.

Look at our outgoings since Fab arrived too..... There's a different slant on things at play now as well.

Flipping the script somewhat; anyone like to guess who was at the helm in the window where we signed Hugo, Jan & Dembele......?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom