Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No doubt the people abusing him online are the pondlife of Spurs fans.
Almost certainly the type who's entire fandom is based online and likely not even in the same country as Spurs.

I can barely look at the comments on the Spurs Facebook page anymore. Just painful.
I don't know, I used to hear the same sort of stuff in the pub before games, in the concourse and at my seat.

You just have to accept that if you put yourself out there you are open to abuse.

There are millions of spurs fans around the world. A few nasty messages shouldnt make you feel bad. If it does, then remove yourself.
No one is a legitimate abuse target simply because they have a public profile. Its not as if Stevie B has antagonised anyone. The onus should be on those who are abusing him rather than the person who has done nothing wrong. Why should someone delete their social media accounts because a few cretins are bullying them?

Legitimate criticism is fine and being able to take that on the chin is a part of being an adult, but that's a world away from so-called fans writing expletive laden personal abuse and nonsense on his social media pages.

I think Kane's chance was much easier than both of Bergwijn's chances.

He was unlucky to hit the inside of the post and the other one was at an awkward angle although he should have tested the keeper.

No need to give him stick about it - if that's what all the abuse has been about.
Agree completely. At least Bergy had the power and vision to engineer the chance - the second was a couple of revolutions from going in off the post. We'd all be calling it a fantastic goal. The margins in top level sport are very fine.

I feel like Bergwijn will be an excellent player for us. He works hard, generates scoring chances, tracks back well and his effort doesn't seem to be lacking. I think he was a great addition.

And you add to this that he basically gets to learn from Kane, Son, Bale and consummate professionals like Toby or Hugo, and it's really encouraging. Throw in an absolute world class manager, and I think that you have a lot of signs that Bergwijn has a bright future ahead of him. One game hardly changes that outlook.

And really...that shot hits the post a few inches to the left and it goes in off the post. The discussion then is how magnificent that goal was and how happy we are to have this young talent.

I hope he isn't too down on himself due to some fan abuse because there's no time for Stevie to sulk. He needs to bounce back and help us win. He's a crucial part of our success and we need him to perform.

I know he might not have had the best of games on Wednesday, but I actually hope now that after the abuse he starts on Sunday and gets a goal/assist. That will hopefully give him a confidence boost....

This is hilarious Mane is a world class player he got past the bloke once in 90 mins who still did enough that the shot goes for....a corner. What are you on about.
I said what I "was on about". It was incredibly clear what was said and why it was said. I didn't think it was in any way controversial. In fact, you agree with what I said; "he got past the bloke once in 90 mins".
You should note that I didn't criticise Serge, so I am not sure what the point of your comment is.

Back
Top Bottom