Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The point about the 3 is that they were all about the same money as Bergy but any of them could have made a much more positive contribution to our team.
As I said, we signed him at the time when we needed a replacement for Kane.
If not why sign him ? He has rarely/ never played C.F. and has therefore become another 20m player sitting on the bench, not forcing his way into the team.
Instead of picking at me why not put on here all the positive things you see in him.
Maybe not possible ?

I'm not "picking on you"..... I asked what you were getting at because you were initially spitballing random shit. No use getting cranky about it now....

Initially, he looked quick, smart, somewhat of a goal threat, exhibited good delivery from wide, tracked back well and seemed to be a hard worker.

Not that I suspect you care beyond saving face over this bickering, but I posted my thoughts on him a few pages back:

"He got injured not long after Sonny, mate... Another who was projected to be out until after the (original) end of the season.

Aside from the United goal; he subsequently struggled after lockdown (not helped by being played at CAM a few times IMO), but what's startling to me is that he looks so fucking sluggish this season... One occasion tonight you could tell he tried to sprint but there was just nothing there.

There's every chance he will get back on track, but he really needs to seize what he can of these EL games otherwise he'll just be consigned to battling with Lamela & Lucas & Clarke for game-time and likely drift even further off par."

Bringing Bale in is not doubt a threat to his immediate future, but if we're willing to put time into him I think there's every chance he can come good.

Curious.... If you're staunchly of the opinion that we had too many wide-men as of Dec 19, were you fundamentally against signing Bale this summer too?

I'm not "picking on you"..... I asked what you were getting at because you were initially spitballing random shit. No use getting cranky about it now....

Initially, he looked quick, smart, somewhat of a goal threat, exhibited good delivery from wide, tracked back well and seemed to be a hard worker.

Not that I suspect you care beyond saving face over this bickering, but I posted my thoughts on him a few pages back:

"He got injured not long after Sonny, mate... Another who was projected to be out until after the (original) end of the season.

Aside from the United goal; he subsequently struggled after lockdown (not helped by being played at CAM a few times IMO), but what's startling to me is that he looks so fucking sluggish this season... One occasion tonight you could tell he tried to sprint but there was just nothing there.

There's every chance he will get back on track, but he really needs to seize what he can of these EL games otherwise he'll just be consigned to battling with Lamela & Lucas & Clarke for game-time and likely drift even further off par."

Bringing Bale in is not doubt a threat to his immediate future, but if we're willing to put time into him I think there's every chance he can come good.

Curious.... If you're staunchly of the opinion that we had too many wide-men as of Dec 19, were you fundamentally against signing Bale this summer too?
No because Bale can play even left back if desperate. Too soon to say but seems well short of his electric pace, although he could develop into a creator from midfield..
I think my main problem is with the feeling that our scouting system had been looking at Bergy for some time, yet not a Jose choice ?
Ever since the Bale money they have not covered themselves in glory and keep looking in foreign leagues not players who have played here. Lo Celso is a gem but all the rest have struggled. As I said I feel sorry for Bergy, because he was not going to get into this side unless he did better than Moura, and now Bale.
Honestly I think it was very short term purchase as Clarke was also in the background. Had we got 20m in our hand, we could have got Doucoure who is a real force in midfield. Just don't see where he fits in except a wet night at Stoke !

No because Bale can play even left back if desperate. Too soon to say but seems well short of his electric pace, although he could develop into a creator from midfield..
I think my main problem is with the feeling that our scouting system had been looking at Bergy for some time, yet not a Jose choice ?
Ever since the Bale money they have not covered themselves in glory and keep looking in foreign leagues not players who have played here. Lo Celso is a gem but all the rest have struggled. As I said I feel sorry for Bergy, because he was not going to get into this side unless he did better than Moura, and now Bale.
Honestly I think it was very short term purchase as Clarke was also in the background. Had we got 20m in our hand, we could have got Doucoure who is a real force in midfield. Just don't see where he fits in except a wet night at Stoke !

Kane is a fine example of a player that managed to step up in an out of form side and prove his worth. Any more examples of it happening? I’ve not got much time just now, but I’m sure I could come up with hundreds of examples where it hasn’t worked.

I’m not advocating giving SB game time over the likes of Clarke, I’m just saying that he’s got much more of a chance to prove his worth if he plays tomorrow, with Son, Kane, PEH, Tanguy etc on the field than he does alongside unfit and out of form Dele, CV, Winks, etc.
The First part is a fair point it probably doesn't happen often. On the second part I would say in the time he's been here especially last season he did play with these players and didn't exactly light it up imo. At the point were at now(trying to win things and a fairly big squad) when you get chances you need to take them as there are others chomping at the bit to get the same opportunity to prove themselves.

I was quite disappointed with his albeit brief cameo. Needs to be far more direct and courageous when facing up to defenders I think. Was guilty of a terrible pass on the break, selfish impossible shot and an air shot. Needs to really try and impress when given these chances but not quite on it for me tonight. I want to see more which I feel he's more than capable of....

I think he is just trying too hard at the moment. He is trying to get a shot away when there are better options available. Think he just needs to relax a little and assess his option better, and only go for goal when he is better placed to go for it over his teammates.

He looked a bit healthier today. Upward trajectory and all that. I agree he could have taken the blinkers off and looked for options instead of blasting a ball to nothing, but he's hungry. I don't know, I just have this feeling he's going to come good for us.

Whatever happened to the days when "senior" players would get minutes with the Reserves? I know Europa works well for us in this regard but wouldn't hurt guys like Bergwijn getting 90 mins on a Saturday if he isn't in the 1st Team matchday squad.

Looked much more motivated and confident yesterday. Had a lot of chances in the second half but they did not come off. But it is a step forward.

Didn't Jose say he was "carrying a knock " prior to yesterday's game?

At least the Dutch are being responsible and sending him back to us.

Yeah - translation is probably iffy but it's likely he's just got a knock like Jose confirmed.

Same way Lo Celso was called up to the Argentina team before and they sent him back because of the an injury he had.

Back
Top Bottom