Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good post.
We looked at Under and Tielemanns but both ended up at Leicester.
I always say that someone who has played in our league is worth double.
For me we missed a talent with Doucoure going to Everton

Eh? You want to play Tielemans or Dacoure on the wing?

If you read through, my point was we didn't need another winger.
But please feel free to jump in on our exchange

I've just re-read your last 6/7 posts.... You said nothing of the sort and were simply doubting SBs quality, fitness "what excuses this time" "Dutch league", yadda yadda.....

Public forum innit.

Feel bad for Bergwijn- I don't think he plays quite enough, and he does so in the B teams with subpar midfield combinations. He's going to have to work extremely hard to get in front of Lamela and Lucas on the depth chart, much less Bale or Son.

Feel bad for Bergwijn- I don't think he plays quite enough, and he does so in the B teams with subpar midfield combinations. He's going to have to work extremely hard to get in front of Lamela and Lucas on the depth chart, much less Bale or Son.
Exactly. He’s going to suffer from playing in sides that are rotated with unfit players trying to find form. Just like the rest of the players who are considered backups.

I feel we should be rotating the team, but only a couple of players at a time. This 8-9 changes at a time won’t give the chance fir anyone to break into the first team setup.

Exactly. He’s going to suffer from playing in sides that are rotated with unfit players trying to find form. Just like the rest of the players who are considered backups.

I feel we should be rotating the team, but only a couple of players at a time. This 8-9 changes at a time won’t give the chance fir anyone to break into the first team setup.
But it does give individuals a chance to shine amongst the others.
He got took off at half-time !

But it does give individuals a chance to shine amongst the others.
He got took off at half-time !
I don’t think it does. When we’ve a team out there that isn’t match fit and that are all trying to prove a point and maybe being a bit selfish in their play, it’s tough for anyone to stand out.

A dodgy defence and an unfamiliar midfield is hardly a basis for stand out performances from our attackers.

I don’t think it does. When we’ve a team out there that isn’t match fit and that are all trying to prove a point and maybe being a bit selfish in their play, it’s tough for anyone to stand out.

A dodgy defence and an unfamiliar midfield is hardly a basis for stand out performances from our attackers.
It's how kane got his opportunity and he took it. He's not done anything so far this season to prove he should be starting in even europa league games. How many chances do you give him until you give Jack Clarke a chance to see what he can do instead. We have players like clarke waiting for a chance to prove themselves it's not fair that he doesn't get a chance while you keep giving chances to a player that isn't grasping what's being given to him.

It's how kane got his opportunity and he took it. He's not done anything so far this season to prove he should be starting in even europa league games. How many chances do you give him until you give Jack Clarke a chance to see what he can do instead. We have players like clarke waiting for a chance to prove themselves it's not fair that he doesn't get a chance while you keep giving chances to a player that isn't grasping what's being given to him.
Kane was up against a crap soldado and Adebayor who'd checked out. He was the best striker by default.

Bergwijn's level of competition is tougher, we have a very strong group of wide forwards.

he'll be fine. Needs more confidence, he plays way safer than someone of his skill level should.

Kane was up against a crap soldado and Adebayor who'd checked out. He was the best striker by default.

Bergwijn's level of competition is tougher, we have a very strong group of wide forwards.

he'll be fine. Needs more confidence, he plays way safer than someone of his skill level should.
We didn't know how good he was until he got his chance though and he didn't hang around and his performances made it impossible to ignore him whereas it'sthe complete opposite for bergwijn. Clarke might be the same but if his place is being taken by somebody not performing well never know. Imagine kane not getting his chance because we kept starting somebody that wasn't performing hoping they'd come good.

Kane is a fine example of a player that managed to step up in an out of form side and prove his worth. Any more examples of it happening? I’ve not got much time just now, but I’m sure I could come up with hundreds of examples where it hasn’t worked.

I’m not advocating giving SB game time over the likes of Clarke, I’m just saying that he’s got much more of a chance to prove his worth if he plays tomorrow, with Son, Kane, PEH, Tanguy etc on the field than he does alongside unfit and out of form Dele, CV, Winks, etc.

That must make him feel wanted !
And he could hardly say he wasn't any choice of mine could he?

That's got nothing to do with a) position and that b) you weren't close to making your point clear originally by talking about the virtues of 3 other players (1 of which who s in fact a winger!).....

And which other winger did we look at ?
We were supposed to be buying a Kane back-up.
When we were scouting him people claimed he could do both jobs.

Which is what my wife says trying to be polite when what she really means is...
Why did you buy this ?

It doesn't matter how many times you reply to my last post and try to build a point retrospectively...... You were rambling and made no clear point about Dacoure/Under/Tielemans in the context of Bergwijn.

Last edited:
Kane is a fine example of a player that managed to step up in an out of form side and prove his worth. Any more examples of it happening? I’ve not got much time just now, but I’m sure I could come up with hundreds of examples where it hasn’t worked.

I’m not advocating giving SB game time over the likes of Clarke, I’m just saying that he’s got much more of a chance to prove his worth if he plays tomorrow, with Son, Kane, PEH, Tanguy etc on the field than he does alongside unfit and out of form Dele, CV, Winks, etc.
Bale would be the obvious example - famously ‘going on loan to Norwich’.

That's got nothing to do with a) position and that b) you weren't close to making your point clear originally by talking about the virtues of 3 other players (1 of which who s in fact a winger!).....

It doesn't matter how many times you reply to my last post and try to build a point retrospectively...... You were rambling and made no clear point about Dacoure/Under/Tielemans in the context of Bergwijn.
The point about the 3 is that they were all about the same money as Bergy but any of them could have made a much more positive contribution to our team.
As I said, we signed him at the time when we needed a replacement for Kane.
If not why sign him ? He has rarely/ never played C.F. and has therefore become another 20m player sitting on the bench, not forcing his way into the team.
Instead of picking at me why not put on here all the positive things you see in him.
Maybe not possible ?

Back
Top Bottom