Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People are being waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too harsh in here.

He's asked to be the defensive minded winger in a Jose system. No more, no less to it.
It’s probably true but it’s the disappointment more than anything really. We all have high expectations from our players in this title race. I really wanted Bergwijn to be a significant upgrade over Lucas/Lamela.

Even Firmino, the prototypical defensive forward, has more goal contributions than Bergwijn. I don't know if he's off-form or what, but right now we have a void in our right wing when we attack, this is only putting more weight on Kane and Son's shoulders.

That's hardly a fair comparison....

RF has been playing his role a) centrally b) in this league for 4(?) years c) in a team with a far more aggressively attacking onus and d) has massively struggled for goals for some time now.

People really should start these assessments based on what the players are actually being asked to do....

Afterall, his recent performances are literally what's earned him a starting spot of late.

People are being waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too harsh in here.

He's asked to be the defensive minded winger in a Jose system. No more, no less to it.
True that he has been asked to do a lot of defending. However, it is so frustrating watching the attack fizzle out every time he gets the ball. I am getting to the stage where I presume we will lose the ball when he gets it in the opponents half. Nice guy but needs to improve for sure.

Robben free, Duff defensive
Eto'o free, Pandev defensive
Ronaldo Free, Di Maria Defensive
Hazard Free, Willian Defensive
Sanchez/Martial free, Rashford/Lingard defensive.

Now its's Son free, Bergwijn/Lamela/Lucas defensive.

Bergwijn is doing what Jose wants him to do, he offers more athleticism than Lamela, and more security in possession than Lucas. It's the tactic, live with it.

Robben free, Duff defensive
Eto'o free, Pandev defensive
Ronaldo Free, Di Maria Defensive
Hazard Free, Willian Defensive
Sanchez/Martial free, Rashford/Lingard defensive.

Now its's Son free, Bergwijn/Lamela/Lucas defensive.

Bergwijn is doing what Jose wants him to do, he offers more athleticism than Lamela, and more security in possession than Lucas. It's the tactic, live with it.
It doesn't look like Son is playing a free role to me.

Son is doing the same job. He needs to contribute atleast a little something in an attacking sense I feel. I'm not expecting him to do what son does because he's not on that level but atleast Give out the occasional assist or turn up when the others aren't performing.
Son is not doing the same job. He starts higher and narrower up the pitch and Jose is more willing to let Reguilon be isolated as he's a better pure defender than Aurier.

"free-er"

Son does basic defensive tracking back but he's free to go beyond Kane as soon as we get the ball.

When Jose first came in he had Luca playing higher and narrower than Son, which is a waste because Son is the best goalscorer amongst the wide forwards. Could Bergwijn do more? Certainly, but generally speaking he's not a black hole in possession like Lucas, and Lamela is made of biscuits so there's no point debating him.

As for Bale, he's here for the ride.

"free-er"

Son does basic defensive tracking back but he's free to go beyond Kane as soon as we get the ball.

When Jose first came in he had Luca playing higher and narrower than Son, which is a waste because Son is the best goalscorer amongst the wide forwards. Could Bergwijn do more? Certainly, but generally speaking he's not a black hole in possession like Lucas, and Lamela is made of biscuits so there's no point debating him.

As for Bale, he's here for the ride.
Well, I agree about Lucas, his second touch is a tackle.

Lucas gets less shit because he scores goals and assists. 8 so far to Berg's 3.

In the PL Lucas has 1 goal to Bergwijn's 0, they both have 0 assists.

I don't really get anyone arguing over Moura or Bergwijn. I din't want either. Don't rate either. Neither are great. Who cares really which one plays, but Moura is certainly no tangible upgrade. Might do a teeny bit more in terms of winning a header here or there or tackle but Bergwijn is a bit less scatty and tracks and presses more intelligently - I think.

BDIMkSN.png

When it comes to these two it's pretty much who's the tallest pigmy in the village.

In the PL Lucas has 1 goal to Bergwijn's 0, they both have 0 assists.

I don't really get anyone arguing over Moura or Bergwijn. I din't want either. Don't rate either. Neither are great. Who cares really which one plays, but Moura is certainly no tangible upgrade. Might do a teeny bit more in terms of winning a header here or there or tackle but Bergwijn is a bit less scatty and tracks and presses more intelligently - I think.

BDIMkSN.png

When it comes to these two it's pretty much who's the tallest pigmy in the village.
Nice to see that it does not matter who should start according to these stats. It's also good to have a fresh sub option for the late game. Imagine bringing in a 2nd Kane or Son in the last 1/3 of the game...

It's also good to have a fresh sub option for the late game. Imagine bringing in a 2nd Kane or Son in the last 1/3 of the game...

This is why I'm disappointed not to have seen Vinicius being fed as many minutes as possible.... Not saying he's at such a level, but I'd love him to be integrated enough to be considered a fully viable sub option for the bigger games by now.

Last edited:
No but he's being allowed to stay higher up the pitch. Bergwijn's clearly being asked to cover Aurier/Regui a lot more.

Still doesn't excuse the lack of g+a, he's gotten into positions to do that before but failed.

Back
Top Bottom