Stories about meeting players /ex players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Following on from a discussion in the General Election thread, and wanting to stay on topic, i started this thread.
What are you experiences meeting ex and current players/club staff.
I will start the ball rolling
Now living in Hoddesdon ,as i did for a good few years,it wasnt unusual to see/meet Spurs players ,and to a much lesser degree, Woolwich players as well(though we wont mention them ),so have a few tales from me and people i know.
Gazza was a local for a few years,and remains very popular in the Town from people that met him, and not just with Spurs fans either.He came in to what was then my local ,the Sun one Wednesday and was with drop dead gorgeous lady, dressed to the nines in typical 80s style, figure hugging lime green lycra dress. The young lady, not Gazza. Well it didn't take long for us to get into a conversation with him, and he was as happy as a pig in shit chatting football with us. The poor girl was almost forgotten. A genuinely decent bloke, who felt obliged to buy us fans(we were about 12 handy and i would say 9 of those were spurs) a drink on at least two rounds that night, whilst refusing our offers in return.

He also use to drink in the Crown at Stansted Abbotts(now a house) ,and on Sunday afternoons, drank with a load of young uns in their teens. This would have been a lock in prior to all day opening,but was just young blokes playing pool,nothing mental .One Sunday one of the regulars, got up and announced he was leaving early as he was skint(remember these were youngsters so probably on apprenticeship/low wages).gazza tried to talk him into staying, but the bloke was adamant that he was pot-less so going home. Gazza then said, fair enough but let me get you coat, which ones yours.Bloke pointed his jacket out and Mr G went and got it and the bloke left. a short while later he was back, knocking on the window as he had found a score in his pocket ,so could stay out. The governor later admitted he saw gazza putting something in the kids pocket.

A fella i worked with lived in Stansted Abbots ,and had no interest in football. One day he came up to just after we had started ,and said"you'll like this".He was walking his dog the night previous, and took his normal route which went past the patch of grass where his grand kid and his mates played football. He noticed a bloke watching them, and whilst the bloke wasn't doing anything wrong, he decided he would go back that way just in-case. When he returned, the fella was no longer watching the kids playing ,but had dumped his coat on top of theirs and was playing a game with them. It was Gazza.
He use to buy his fishing tackle in Ross in Hoddesdon high street ,where a family friend Beryl worked and would have the shop in fits of laughter with various stories and just being him.

As i said elsewhere, Gerry Armstrong lived on my estate and use to use the shops in the middle of it. Always had a kind word for us, which at the time were a young group of locally despised skinheads. We talked him into getting us cigarettes on a couple of occasions. We would give him the money, and he would get them. He would always say "No, no, cant do that lads ! Oh ok then ,just this wee once". Lovely bloke. Years later ,i got to know his best mate at the time ,from that area, as i knew his son. He was the governor of another Hoddesdon pub, the Boars head(where Gerry drank). He said the same ,a top top bloke.

Pat Jennings use to come onto the estate as well, as his wife got her barnet done in the salon, Adam & Eves which was there. One day, a mob of us, bored and being silly, started chanting " we hate Woolwich, and we hate Woolwich " at him. He stopped about turned and said at the top of his voice "And so do i". We laughed/cheered, he smiled, and that was that . He was never going to get any real grief of us, and he knew it, i think.

i will add to this when i think of some more
Hope others have some stories as well

I know this is not going to be the greatest contribution on here ; but hopefully it helps to get the thread going .

I once stood behind Pat Van den Hauwe in a Fish and Chip shop in North London. He was with Mandy Smith ( I remember thinking how painfully thin she looked ) . This would have been early 1990s. Post Bill Wyman etc.

We never actually spoke.

100 % true story.

I’ve got a few better ones but hopefully, if the thread takes off ; I’ll get to build up to them

Edit : I’ve just wiki’d P V D H ; and according to their info: he and Mandy are still together ( married in fact ) Lasted longer than mine …

Anyway: hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just some anecdotes more than meeting players…

Back when I was little, likely after the F.A. Cup victory, Gazza would have been on his way out towards his Lazio move. My dad had recently broken his wrist due to a fall at a train station, and had a cast but went for a Curry in Hoddesdon at a restaurant formerly called the Raj Gate. My dad had obviously had a few as he midway through being helped to get his coat on by the staff he burst over to Gazza, saying to him, “thank you for everything you’ve done for Tottenham…” Gazza signed his cast and left a nice message.

At primary school, Chris Hughton’s kids went to a little RC school (I joined in Year 5) called St Cross. He would occasionally pop his head around the door. His wife and him attended the local church, St Augustine’s. I think they had 3-4 kids at the time.

As said in the other thread, Ossie Ardiles attended St Augustine’s church… my mum pointed him out to me and she hates football! I recall my dad saying he had chatted to him in Park Lane Drs surgery several years ago.

When my family moved across Broxbourne in 1991, we ended up as next-door neighbours to Doug Livermore (managed us for a year). He always had Ray Clemence over. His wife used to sunbathe and my mum later told me that she’d had to have words with the wife as she thought it inappropriate for her to sunbathe topless as I was in my early adolescence. Doug used to say hi to me, kitted out in my Tottenham gear…

When I worked at Cheshunt Marriott, the Howell brothers had a party and we were told to make sure anything they wanted was done and done quickly.

One night Sol Campbell stayed there under the name, “Mr Smith”, as he was suspended for England. The night manager, called Simon, must have called him a, “cunt”, 30 times when he dipped into the back office.

Just some anecdotes more than meeting players…

Back when I was little, likely after the F.A. Cup victory, Gazza would have been on his way out towards his Lazio move. My dad had recently broken his wrist due to a fall at a train station, and had a cast but went for a Curry in Hoddesdon at a restaurant formerly called the Raj Gate. My dad had obviously had a few as he midway through being helped to get his coat on by the staff he burst over to Gazza, saying to him, “thank you for everything you’ve done for Tottenham…” Gazza signed his cast and left a nice message.

At primary school, Chris Hughton’s kids went to a little RC school (I joined in Year 5) called St Cross. He would occasionally pop his head around the door. His wife and him attended the local church, St Augustine’s. I think they had 3-4 kids at the time.

As said in the other thread, Ossie Ardiles attended St Augustine’s church… my mum pointed him out to me and she hates football! I recall my dad saying he had chatted to him in Park Lane Drs surgery several years ago.

When my family moved across Broxbourne in 1991, we ended up as next-door neighbours to Doug Livermore (managed us for a year). He always had Ray Clemence over. His wife used to sunbathe and my mum later told me that she’d had to have words with the wife as she thought it inappropriate for her to sunbathe topless as I was in my early adolescence. Doug used to say hi to me, kitted out in my Tottenham gear…

When I worked at Cheshunt Marriott, the Howell brothers had a party and we were told to make sure anything they wanted was done and done quickly.

One night Sol Campbell stayed there under the name, “Mr Smith”, as he was suspended for England. The night manager, called Simon, must have called him a, “cunt”, 30 times when he dipped into the back office.

Good story ….

but H S T ; as I’ve already had to point out to you today…

“ What happens at the Marriott …”

( winking emoji / say no more etc)

Nuff said.

Gary Mabbut was a client of my best friend's Dad whilst growing up -

I just finished giving my bar-mitzvah speech and as soon as i finished it, the band started playing oh when the spurs.... everyone there turned around, looked to the main doors and in walked Gary, holding a signed spurs ball.

The guy was a true gent - he stayed there for a few hours, got involved in some dancing and took loads of photos with me and my friends.

He played regular 5 a side games with my friend's dad's company and me and my friend used to play also in our late teens, we had an ongoing bet for £10 for the first of us who could nutmeg him and needless to say neither of us won it.

I can't remember who the player testimonial was for vs Wimbledon but I'm pretty sure it was 1993 and through the Mabbut connection, myself and my brother got to go on the Spurs bus after the game. Justin Edinburgh welcomed us on with a kind of manic joy and introduced us to everyone and just made it a proper laugh - I remember him making fun of Dean Austin who had a broken leg at the time telling us to not worry about him being grumpy, sitting at the front of the coach not talking to anyone.

Pulled up next to Ray Parlour the morning of our 2nd leg Carling Cup Semi. Gestured to him to wind his window down which he did “your getting smashed tonight” I shouted over to him , smiling he replied “it’s your best chance for a while” we smashed them 5-1 lol

top bloke the romford pele

Gary Mabbut was a client of my best friend's Dad whilst growing up -

I just finished giving my bar-mitzvah speech and as soon as i finished it, the band started playing oh when the spurs.... everyone there turned around, looked to the main doors and in walked Gary, holding a signed spurs ball.

The guy was a true gent - he stayed there for a few hours, got involved in some dancing and took loads of photos with me and my friends.

He played regular 5 a side games with my friend's dad's company and me and my friend used to play also in our late teens, we had an ongoing bet for £10 for the first of us who could nutmeg him and needless to say neither of us won it.

I can't remember who the player testimonial was for vs Wimbledon but I'm pretty sure it was 1993 and through the Mabbut connection, myself and my brother got to go on the Spurs bus after the game. Justin Edinburgh welcomed us on with a kind of manic joy and introduced us to everyone and just made it a proper laugh - I remember him making fun of Dean Austin who had a broken leg at the time telling us to not worry about him being grumpy, sitting at the front of the coach not talking to anyone.
Gary Mabbut is a good guy.

One of my exes (met at University) had diabetes but was from an Woolwich family. She always said she was embarrassed because Gary Mabbut visited her school and took photos with her (because he was, “Spurs”).

Her dad was die-hard Woolwich but he was the primary school Headteacher and far more charitable about the event.

Not really stories, but having been blessed to have met a lot of ex Spurs over the years I have to say that Pat Jennings is the one I remember with the most fondness. Lovely assured and gentle manner. Was well before my era of Spurs pain, but obvious why he was so loved.

Some others;
Gazza, all over the show. I suspect some marching powder might have been near by. Lineker, a bit aloof saw him post game when I was fairly young, he was not really interested. Teddy’s a nice bloke. Seen him a fair bit over the years in various places.

Greaves was also a nice man met him by chance in a pub of all places. Fenwick was nothing special, I should have asked him about his driving…

Big Chiv, is quite a funny bloke ( some stories there from the Europa League period when he was one of the club reps on away games ) Micky Hazard. Great guy. Keane and Defoe I’ve met too from a more recent period. Keane was a bit hyper, unlike Gazza’s habits I think it was just the way Robbie was.

Had the pleasure to work near the MoTD team @ WC 2006. All nice blokes, except Adrian Childs who seemed to be a bit aloof and would often be around Berlin alone or alone riding his bike. Men alone in Berlin can find things to do, even if they have a bike 🚲 I liked Alan Hansen. A real presence about him.

Never met Paul Stewart. Wish I had. Used to think the world of him when he played for us.

Last edited:
Having been blessed to have met a lot of ex Spurs over the years I have to say that Pat Jennings is one I remember with the most fondness. Lovely assured and gentle manner.

Some others;
Gazza, all over the show. Lineker, an bit aloof. Teddy nice bloke, Greaves also a nice man. Fenwick nothing special. Big Chiv, quite a funny bloke ( some stories there from the Europa League period when he was one or the club reps ) Micky Hazard. Great. Keane and Defoe I’ve met too from a more recent period. Keane was a bit hyper.

Had the pleasure to work near the MoTD team @ WC 2006. All nice blokes, except Adrian Childs who seemed to be a bit aloof.

Never met Paul Stewart. Wish I had. Used to think the world of him when he played for us.
Good old Jimmy Greaves and Cliff Jones did a night at Hoddesdon Civic Hall several years ago.

Great laugh.

My late father used to play with Steve Perrymans older brother, as a teenager, he said Steve was quite a bit younger (3years) but would sometimes come along and you could see he was a great player, even as a young kid.

Said they were both lovely guys.

Also, used to play against Scott Houghton, as a teenager. First game was Colts (Sharnbrook) district Cup Final in ‘83 and his Biggleswade had us trounced at 3-0 down at half time. Was in goal and not my best half, he tried to lob me from kick off start of the second half. Then we came back to Win 4-3. The local press called it “The making of a thriller” (which is the only reason I can remember the year!).

After this the next season we beat them home and away convincingly, recall saving a penalty from him away when we won 3-0 (or so), seemed to break their belief against us a bit. Then the home game later that season I was banned as I hadn’t cleaned my bedroom (!) so our reserve keeper played and again saved a penalty from Scott in another trouncing (maybe 4-1 or so), when our keeper that day saved the Pen Scott’s younger brother ran onto the pitch to try to attack the goalie! (So I was told, as I was grounded, as relayed!).

He was a good player at that level of course, but we had a better team.

I'm pretty sure Mark Robson taught football at my old school on a part time basis at one point.. it was after I'd left, but I'm sure it was him!

My only 2 Spurs related meetings, we're both radio connected...

The first was when I used to volunteer at Radio G.O.S.H (Gt. Ormond Street) and Gary & Michelle Lineker's son (George I think) was being treated there...
Gary often popped up to the Radio station, and was fairly polite, I've heard stories about him being quite aloof and arrogant, but maybe because his son was so ill at the tone, he had a slightly more subdued demeanour.

I only spoke to him a couple of times, but seeing as it was only a few years after the 1991 Cup Final, I did 'thank him' for making my day that day...

Little did I know at the time, that would be our last FA Cup for 33 years and COUNTING!

The other radio related meeting was when I worked at Capital Gold Sport (for just 6 weeks, I hasten to add!)
We got to travel to the old Spurs training ground in Chigwell, Ben Coles picked me up from my house (which was 10 minutes away) and we interviewed Ginola and I wanna say Andy Sinton...
But it was Ginola who struck me the most... For ALL the obvious reasons...
Polite, enigmatic, charismatic, eyes to die for, and really REALLY knowledgeable about the game...

I was CONVINCED he'd end up as a Spurs manager one day, such was his passion and apparent love of not just football, but TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!

I was smitten, I'll not lie!

Turns out, I can't spot a future Spurs manager after all.. And we were stuck with Gerry Francis and George Graham...

AHH, hindsight, huh?

So, that's my 2 penneth.

On a holiday to Malta, I met John Gorman and Ian Moores at the beach, and I just asked for a photo. Then I went to meet my mum at the holiday complex where she worked and they were sitting by the pool. I had a chat with John and he was friendly and approachable, whereas Ian was a bit shy and aloof. I asked for another photo, good job too, as this was well before digital cameras - the first one was so blurred !
I went to Steve Archibald's pub off Roman Road and his dad called him, so we had a chat over the phone - it was about the time he was transferred to Barcelona - he was very down to earth and easy to talk to.
Had a few chats over the years with Mr P himself, the trouble is I get all shy when I meet him.
I went to a birthday dinner at a golf club near Enfield, early 2000s, and saw Mabbsey there with his wife . I didn't want to interrupt him while he was eating, but he signed a few autographs and he was very gracious with everybody.
Just before lockdown, when I was in Malta, the Supporters' Club out there had an evening with Keith Burkinshaw. We had a great time reminiscing, especially about the cup finals in '81 and '84.
More recently I've met David Howells, Clive Allen and Maxie Miller on the train to or from the ground. Maybe I caught them on a good day, as they were all happy to chat, and quite openly too.
We got an invitation to the Heineken Bar on one match day, and Daws was up there - now that is one decent, genuine human being, an absolute gentleman.

I met a spurs player in Upper Edmonton Tesco, funny encounter as there was a Cadillac Escalade in the car park..who the fuck drives an Escalade in The UK let alone Edmonton.... very random. and then I'm standing behind this guy at the counter who's in full Celtic basketball gear... Pascal Chimbonda. Had a brief chat and he was cool man.

Had a few drinks with Michael Brown in Alderley Edge, when I was working there. Seemed a proper good lad and good laugh.

Also met Sol Campbell in Hampstead loooooooool

Last edited:
Tripped over Paul Merton who was slumped outside a bar.

(Not really but also probably).
P4dTHu.gif

Back
Top Bottom