Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking love Schneiderlin. One of the most underrated players in the EPL for my money, confirmed by the fact that he made the French team who I think had the second best midfield in the tournament besides the Germans. He reminds of Carrick.

He's been top five in the league in tackles the last two years and led the league in interceptions two years ago. A massively important piece of Pochettino's pressing game.

The last thing we need is another deep lying central midfielder. I don't think Schendirlin is a huge step up over Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho, and Dembele. And we have a future talent in Bentaleb in that position. If we get Schendirlin Id except at least 2 of the aforementioned players to get sold. Also I think Bentaleb should get loaned out to a PL team

I would have him over all those players aside from Sandro - who he can play alongside. The one thing he has that none of those players do is excellent distribution, quick and incisive. He is excellent.

Haven't really seen much of him to be honest, is he more of a tough tackling defensive mid or deep lying playmaker?

He's definitely not a pure deep lying playmaker. He won't hit a perfect 60 yard ball over the top like Pirlo or pick a perfect nonchalant outside of the foot through ball like Modric. But he is very adept at hitting long balls to wingers and forcing an accurate pass into a tight space to a forward or AM checking back for the ball, that's why he reminds me of Carrick.

He's a very strong tackling and breaking up play. He's not a cruncher like Sandro but he's very adept at nicking the ball and within MP's system he's superb at pressing and winning the ball and getting it quickly to offensive players. To put his defensive efforts in perspective, in 2012/2013 he averaged 4.1 tackles and 3.9 interceptions per game. That was the season where Sandro was absolutely unbelievable before the knee injury ended his season prematurely. Sandro averaged 3.3 tackles and 3.6 interceptions per game which were huge numbers as well. So you can see Schneiderlin contributes a lot defensively but I also think he has significantly more passing ability than any of Sandro, Capoue, Dembele or Paulinho.

Fucking love Schneiderlin. One of the most underrated players in the EPL for my money, confirmed by the fact that he made the French team who I think had the second best midfield in the tournament besides the Germans. He reminds of Carrick.

He's been top five in the league in tackles the last two years and led the league in interceptions two years ago. A massively important piece of Pochettino's pressing game.
But how on Earth is he going to play with your messiah's Carroll and Bentaleb holding down CM?!

Haha, I kid. Lovely player. Aaaaaah, I call smell the new season.

He's definitely not a pure deep lying playmaker. He won't hit a perfect 60 yard ball over the top like Pirlo or pick a perfect nonchalant outside of the foot through ball like Modric. But he is very adept at hitting long balls to wingers and forcing an accurate pass into a tight space to a forward or AM checking back for the ball, that's why he reminds me of Carrick.

He's a very strong tackling and breaking up play. He's not a cruncher like Sandro but he's very adept at nicking the ball and within MP's system he's superb at pressing and winning the ball and getting it quickly to offensive players. To put his defensive efforts in perspective, in 2012/2013 he averaged 4.1 tackles and 3.9 interceptions per game. That was the season where Sandro was absolutely unbelievable before the knee injury ended his season prematurely. Sandro averaged 3.3 tackles and 3.6 interceptions per game which were huge numbers as well. So you can see Schneiderlin contributes a lot defensively but I also think he has significantly more passing ability than any of Sandro, Capoue, Dembele or Paulinho.

Spot on. He's a No 6, but he's not the typical "destroyer" we've come to associate with the position in England. While not being of that ilk, he's no slouch defensively. He's also certainly not a DLP, as his numbers reflect he doesn't get particularly involved in the final third. He's more the type to quickly disperse the ball forward, and then sit about 10-20 yards more reserved than a DLP would. A true "field marshal" from the No 6 position.

Spot on. He's a No 6, but he's not the typical "destroyer" we've come to associate with the position in England. While not being of that ilk, he's no slouch defensively. He's also certainly not a DLP, as his numbers reflect he doesn't get particularly involved in the final third. He's more the type to quickly disperse the ball forward, and then sit about 10-20 yards more reserved than a DLP would. A true "field marshal" from the No 6 position.

You may say he would disperse the ball forward, but I still see him as a ball winner and another central mid to pass the ball sideways. We have two players who are athletic enough to play that position in Capoue and Sandro...we gotta trim the mid, not add to it (unless they can pass forwards each time they get possession)

You may say he would disperse the ball forward, but I still see him as a ball winner and another central mid to pass the ball sideways. We have two players who are athletic enough to play that position in Capoue and Sandro...we gotta trim the mid, not add to it (unless they can pass forwards each time they get possession)

Not even remotely a "sideways" kind of passer. Plays the ball forward on average a monstrous 37 times a game while not being the more reserved of the two alongside Wanyama.

However, I do think you're right that we're set with Capoue and Sandro if the latter is fully fit and can handle a full season. If Poch puts Sandro through the grinder this preseason and isn't sure he can handle it, I'd hate to see him go on a personal level but Schneiderlin would be a brilliant replacement. EPL experience, homegrown, knows Poch's system, and a very forward-thinking holding mid.

Not even remotely a "sideways" kind of passer. Plays the ball forward on average a monstrous 37 times a game while not being the more reserved of the two alongside Wanyama.

However, I do think you're right that we're set with Capoue and Sandro if the latter is fully fit and can handle a full season. If Poch puts Sandro through the grinder this preseason and isn't sure he can handle it, I'd hate to see him go on a personal level but Schneiderlin would be a brilliant replacement. EPL experience, homegrown, knows Poch's system, and a very forward-thinking holding mid.

You had me at homegrown. Schneidy in. Lennon out.

I think the thing that you gain by adding a player like Schneiderlin is that you can go into a tough away fixture against the likes of City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, or United and play him next to Sandro or Capoue and feel like you have significant defensive coverage but also enough passing to nick the game. But then you can also start him at home against a shit side, alongside Holtby, Bentaleb, or any other more offensive CM and feel like you still have enough defensive coverage while not sacrificing offensive output. He also provides a very competent passing outlet from the center of the pitch. Lots of versatility in a guy like Schneiderlin that most of our other midfielders don't have.

Think this video covers his ability pretty well. Picks the ball up well off the back four, very good at spreading the ball accurately to attacking fullbacks, good breaking up play, moves the ball quickly, very mobile, adept at carrying the ball if needed, has experience being two-foot tackled by Flamini...

Hate to admit thus but I'm right jealous of Woolwich getting Sanchez. He's been one of the best players at the World Cup and somehow those cunts have bought him. Imagine if we signed someone of that class :( top 4 almost looking impossible now

Damn good signing by them. We had our share of the "big name" transfers last season with the likes of Soldado,Lamela and Eriksen.Unfortunately for us only 1/3 were able to perform at their expected level.:avbshock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom