Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were we to do so, we would either get bent over as is under Poch's tactics, or he'd have to change those tactics drastically. I'm not opposed to the latter, but if he's intent on the tactics he used at Espanyol and Saints, we currently have a couple more gaping holes in the first team after LB.

I certainly think that we need to shore up some stuff, but no matter which tactics you use, we need a LB. We're all assuming (and it's a good assumption) that Poch will continue the tactics he has been using. However, he could easily realize that these tactics won't work for our squad and change them as required. I'd be perfectly happy with additional signings, but I won't have that warm and fuzzy feeling unless we get a LB. Until then, it almost doesn't matter who we sign, because Rose does not make the cut in my mind.

Sell Ade, I can get behind that. I firmly believe that Soldado is going to come good this season. His personal life was in shambles last year and that's all changed now. His wife is pregnant again, his buddy Lamela is back in town, he's happy he wasn't part of the Spanish embarassment at the World Cup, etc.

I do worry about our lack of fire power, look at Woolwich great team but average forwards last season cost them making a challenge, it's the Suarez's, Sturridges, Aguero's that can get you an extra 10-15 points a season that can make all the difference. Ade is hit and miss and I am not sure about Soldado, I really like young Kane but he is maybe a few years of providing the real fire power we need. Remy is going for a resonable price and Bony I would take even at £25 million he is great. A forward line with them in it would make every team think about us and with Eriksen providing the supply I believe we could be really good.

I do worry about our lack of fire power, look at Woolwich great team but average forwards last season cost them making a challenge, it's the Suarez's, Sturridges, Aguero's that can get you an extra 10-15 points a season that can make all the difference. Ade is hit and miss and I am not sure about Soldado, I really like young Kane but he is maybe a few years of providing the real fire power we need. Remy is going for a resonable price and Bony I would take even at £25 million he is great. A forward line with them in it would make every team think about us and with Eriksen providing the supply I believe we could be really good.

I think that you need to rethink Soldado.

2012 - 28 goals
2011 - 22 goals
2010 - 24 goals
2009 - 16 goals

If he gets back on form we'll have one of the best strikers in the EPL.

Man, I wish I could be as convinced about Soldado as some of you guys are. I think he'll be better this year but one of the best strikers in the league? Maybe we were watching different teams last season.

Man, I wish I could be as convinced about Soldado as some of you guys are. I think he'll be better this year but one of the best strikers in the league? Maybe we were watching different teams last season.

I am completely aware of how bad of a season he had. However, there were tons of things that weren't helping him. Not enough forward passing, Sherwood pulling one of the most bonehead moves of the season by benching him after he finally broke his dry streak, and not to mention his wife losing her baby. It would be hard enough to get over having bad games, but to be having a shitty personal life at the same time? That's understandably hard.

Playing in that AVB offense really messed him up. Early on in the season he was looking good off the ball but got zero service for the runs he was making. By the time Sherwood took over and opened the offense up, Soldado transformed himself into an attacking mid. The guys just needs to hit the reset button and forget about last season.

I am completely aware of how bad of a season he had. However, there were tons of things that weren't helping him. Not enough forward passing, Sherwood pulling one of the most bonehead moves of the season by benching him after he finally broke his dry streak, and not to mention his wife losing her baby. It would be hard enough to get over having bad games, but to be having a shitty personal life at the same time? That's understandably hard.

I hope you're right. I'm a big fan of the guy. You could count on one hand last season guys whose effort couldn't be questioned and he's right there. The problem for me is his skill set. He's not big, fast, good in the air, doesn't threaten from outside the box, and can't really create his own chances. Now last season was a nightmare for him because he got the yips and started missing sitters. However, even if he returns to his best I just don't think he has a well rounded enough game to be a successful number 1 striker for a club of our ambitions. He could be an amazing number 2, I think if he gets that form back. The question is then can Adebayor be a reliable starter? Our striker situation isn't a problem because of lack of ability, but rather because we have no idea what to expect out of Soldado and Adebayor.

Last edited:
When did this happen (what month)? That's so bad. It must be a killer for a family like his

My own opinion but with other teams around us get better I believe we need at the below for a good chance at a top 4 challenge, in particularly replace Rose and gets some top quality strikers, we need forwards who can score even when we are playing shit, the best teams can win when playing shit.
Buy - £63 million approx
Bony £25 mil approx
Remy £8 mil approx
Davies £12 mil approx
Lovren £18 mil approx
Sell Ade and Soldado, perhaps 2-3 midfielders we don't need to raise the cash or at least most of the cash. What does everyone else thing we need if we are to complete with the top teams next year realistically?
Lloris extending for me was a very important signing. For me it shows any potential new, Easy! Easy! Only Joking!:adelol:

It wouldn't surprise me if that had a profound effect on his form then. Palacios went downhill and never recovered after his brother died

It didn't really change his form - and what a delight I feel arguing that. But anyway yeah, horrible stuff, what a difficult start to life in a new country.

Wasn't Aguero essentially injured half the season? And what about Chelsea with their shit strikers finishing top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom