Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously if Woolwich sign Martinez and schneiderlin I'll be pissed. They could win the league with those two in their team. Its probably bullshit media though. I don't normally believe stuff until its concrete but it would be a bit spursy

Apparently Southampton are now in talks with Alderweireld about making his move permanent. And they are sticking strongly to their 25m asking price for Schneiderlin.

Anyone got any alternatives to Schneiderlin they like for less than 20? I've heard James McCarthy being battered about the place.

Edit: Was just having a think about the CB position and does anyone think Ashley Williams would be a good shout as a partner for Jan? He has oodles of experience, is a great leader for Swansea and he has some of the pace to boot required to play a high line. He is 30 and would cost at least 10 Million in the current market. But he would be a great signing until Dier can become good enough for a first team place.

Last edited:
Apparently Southampton are now in talks with Alderweireld about making his move permanent. And they are sticking strongly to their 25m asking price for Schneiderlin.

Anyone got any alternatives to Schneiderlin they like for less than 20? I've heard James McCarthy being battered about the place.

Edit: Was just having a think about the CB position and does anyone think Ashley Williams would be a good shout as a partner for Jan? He has oodles of experience, is a great leader for Swansea and he has some of the pace to boot required to play a high line. He is 30 and would cost at least 10 Million in the current market. But he would be a great signing until Dier can become good enough for a first team place.
What is the market price for Schneiderlin in Levy world I wonder?

If Matic was £21 million there is no way we should pay more than 20.

James McCarthy would be excellent, highly unlikely, but because of the season they've had and an upcoming Europa league final another would be Sevilla's Ever Banega.

Loves a tackle, and on song, one of the best passers of the ball from deep in football. Argentinian connection obviously present with Poch, but I think a season too late. Had off field issues previously, even running himself over with his car, but most of his antics were when he was younger.

Sevilla took the plunge, got him very cheap and are now reaping the benefits.

Another I like the look of is Kondogbia of AS Monaco. Comfortable on the ball, strong, eye for a pass, loves a tackle. Hard to believe he's only just turned 22. Think he's going to be a beast of a player in the not too distant future.

James McCarthy would be excellent, highly unlikely, but because of the season they've had and an upcoming Europa league final another would be Sevilla's Ever Banega.

Loves a tackle, and on song, one of the best passers of the ball from deep in football. Argentinian connection obviously present with Poch, but I think a season too late. Had off field issues previously, even running himself over with his car, but most of his antics were when he was younger.

Sevilla took the plunge, got him very cheap and are now reaping the benefits.

Another I like the look of is Kondogbia of AS Monaco. Comfortable on the ball, strong, eye for a pass, loves a tackle. Hard to believe he's only just turned 22. Think he's going to be a beast of a player in the not too distant future.

He ran himself over with his car...?

I'll just move on to Kondogbia. I think he has a great future ahead of him, but I doubt Monaco are in a hurry to sell him. He's a highly rated player who a lot of top clubs are looking at. I'd imagine 25 million for Schneiderlin is too much, but I think Kondogbia would be worth it personally.

McCarthy would cost near enough £20,000,000. I believe. They only signed him last season and that was for about £15,000,000 wasn't it? They are ending the season strong and Martinez clearly rates him highly.

Another name you haven't mentioned is Camacho who would also be a good player to look at. I think he would most likely be the cheaper out of those mentioned, so a typical Levy signing then.

Not seen him often but William Carvalho looks like a talent whenever I have seen him, so powerful.

What is the market price for Schneiderlin in Levy world I wonder?

If Matic was £21 million there is no way we should pay more than 20.

Benfica probably still own Chelsea some money for the transfer or there is a buyback clause at 21m. Matic was used as a part exchange + 21m for David Luiz.

I actually think Dier should play over Jan. I think he is good enough in any case, and actually I'd rather work towards improving Dier than play a faltering Jan.

On their day, Jan is obviously superior, but I'd rather help Dier develop than wait for the rare occasion Jan gives a fuck.

William Carvalho is very good. But too expensive.
From Portugal i would love Gaitan and obviously Jackson.

Depends how important he'd be deemed. Last I heard, Sporting dropped their asking price for Carvalho to £21,000,000 which is still a lot of money for an unproven midfielder but will ultimately be the same price as McCarthy and just a little less then Schneiderlin.

I think I saw in the Euro-U21 thread you live and/or are from Portugal?

In which case, how come Carvalho hasn't left yet? Been around for a few years now and had a good World Cup as well. Seems to be one of those linked every transfer window, but hasn't made the jump yet. I don't believe it's because he loves Sporting. These stars from the Portuguese league don't tend to hang around this long.

Interested in your thoughts. I wonder if his value has dropped as he's been out the limelight since the World Cup?

Last edited:
I actually think Dier should play over Jan. I think he is good enough in any case, and actually I'd rather work towards improving Dier than play a faltering Jan.

On their day, Jan is obviously superior, but I'd rather help Dier develop than wait for the rare occasion Jan gives a fuck.
I think both Dier and Jan have a tendency to mark air. They never seem intent on getting too close to forwards and when they do, they seem to lose all strength or heading ability. I'm hoping we give Fazio another year. Mertesacker was quite the laughing stock in his first season but his experience shone in his second year and he was one of the best defenders in the league.

Depends how important he'd be deemed. Last I heard, Sporting dropped their asking price for Carvalho to £21,000,000 which is still a lot of money for an unproven midfielder but will ultimately be the same price as McCarthy and just a little less then Schneiderlin.
I doubt that Sporting will sell for less than 30M of euros. They wanted 45M at the end of the last season. But the wise choice for me is MS or McCharty. We know that they are good in english football.

I doubt that Sporting will sell for less than 30M of euros. They wanted 45M at the end of the last season. But the wise choice for me is MS or McCharty. We know that they are good in english football.
That's true. I can certainly see us steering clear of foreign talent that is going to cost extortionate prices. I think Poch has gone on record and said that he'd prefer to buy from England anyway. I'd much rather experienced Premier League players who can improve us though. I don't mind talented foreign players with potential for small fees (Wimmer etc.)

With regards to Gaitan. I have read today that agent/s of Gaitan and Salvio have traveled to London to talk with a Premier League club. We've been linked with both in the past. I remember being impressed by Salvio when Benfica defeated us a few years back, I don't believe Gaitan played much, may have come off the bench late on, I think he was injured.

Both would improve us you reckon? How much are we talking for either?

With regards to Gaitan. I have read today that agent/s of Gaitan and Salvio have traveled to London to talk with a Premier League club. We've been linked with both in the past. I remember being impressed by Salvio when Benfica defeated us a few years back, I don't believe Gaitan played much, may have come off the bench late on, I think he was injured.

Can't imagine us signing Gaitan, but weren't we linked with Salvio in january? Good player, fairly young. He's a player who has pace, can create something out of nothing and has got goals and assists in him as well. Would be a good addition to our squad imo

Gaitan is fantastic. The best player in Portugal right after Jackson. Just amazing. Can play every position of the offensive midfielder. A smart player, always does the smart thing to do. Would easily easily start for us. I reckon that they want more than 20M for him. And for that price we can't get better.

Salvio is different. A faster player, more direct. A fast and furious player. Not cerebral like Gaitan, he's a right winger. Think Lennon but a lot better. He can cross and scores a lot of goals, has a lot of stamina, 90 minutes in full display. But he's a little dumb, sometimes only sees the goal and doens't pass to his teammate in a much better position. He's a little injury prone, which is a turn off. And they want more money for him than for Gaitan, is two years younger. Would also improve us, but not as much as Gaitán.
Gaitan >>> Salvio. But Salvio is pretty good, but Gaitan is the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom