Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the good ones who can do all that would cost 15m and upwards

When are you going to get that through your head?

Special case . . .
Over 24, yes. Under that, not all of them. Pochettino seems to want a young team, so we'll see. I didn't say I had a problem spending over £15 million, Levy said they were targeting players under that.

You can choose to believe that or not, and judge it however you like, but that is the what thing the Chairman has said on the record.

Because Liverpool have ever played the same type of football as Swansea? Brendan Rogers adapted when he went to Liverpool. And look how fucking well that has worked out for him. Brendan Rogers isn't a manager with a Philosophy, he just uses the philosophy the clubs already have.

If you think a bad player looks good in a bad team then I am actually worried that you might be a little retarded. Bad players look even worse next to other bad players, not better.
There are plenty of examples of average players looking good in a weaker team, then getting found out or failing to step up to the pressure of a higher status club - Liverpool's recent transfer history is FULL of it- Carroll, Lambert, Adam, Lovren etc , not to mention Moses to anyone after Wigan and we've had our fair share in Pienaar, Dembele and others.

And don't be a prick calling him a retard, grow up.

Totally different players. If Pritchard ran the ball into the corner blindly repeatedly before failing to pick out a decent cross then I'd think differently of him. Pritch scored twice as many goals in a weaker team in his first season at that level. I'm willing to wager that if Pritchard plays 35 games for us in the premier league he does better than Redmond did in his first season and would do better than Redmond would this season for Norwich.

This is all before you bring transfer fees into it. Norwich have sorted themselves out financially and would ask for stupid money for the transfer. With out clearly limited budget we can't go spunking it on players like that when we have better already at the club.

Norwich fans seem quite keen to keep Redmond, from what I've seen. He must be able to pick a pass out if he's got 13 assists on top of his six goals...

The problem for your wager is that, besides the almost certainty in that Pritchard isn't going to be playing 35+ games for us, is that Tottenham are a better team than Norwich. We won't be defending nearly enough as they will, it's a completely different scenario for a player to manage to assist/score in a team struggling at the bottom than one that is trying to get into Champions League positions.

I'll agree on the transfer fee though, he's certainly not worth anything more than £20m and I'd hesitate to go above £15m for him. However you seem very negative towards a twenty one year old who's shown he has something about him, Lennon did alright for us in the end, why couldn't Redmond?

I wanted guidetti as a perfect third choice wen sven was at city. He had a belting pre season and was never gonna play for em. Toby wld be fantastic, and if we did sign him, wld u lot play him cm? Or is that just FM chat? Routledge is two footed, fits the 'system' too. Works his balls off. Plus, i know most will disagree, but i think benji could be better than parker. Not sure why hes been written off so fast.

Norwich fans seem quite keen to keep Redmond, from what I've seen. He must be able to pick a pass out if he's got 13 assists on top of his six goals...

The problem for your wager is that, besides the almost certainty in that Pritchard isn't going to be playing 35+ games for us, is that Tottenham are a better team than Norwich. We won't be defending nearly enough as they will, it's a completely different scenario for a player to manage to assist/score in a team struggling at the bottom than one that is trying to get into Champions League positions.

I'll agree on the transfer fee though, he's certainly not worth anything more than £20m and I'd hesitate to go above £15m for him. However you seem very negative towards a twenty one year old who's shown he has something about him, Lennon did alright for us in the end, why couldn't Redmond?

We're gonna have to agree to disagree mate. I'd have Lennon now over Redmond still. I'd have Townsend over him and I'd rather we kept Pritchard and played him instead. The kid isn't good enough.

:adebaehug:

P.S The Pink'un is seen as a bit of a 'wally' board...:ninja:

I like your persistent support for Redmond; though I'll reserve judgement until seeing him in action- I was basing my underwhelmedness on seeing him play in 2013/14.

I can't see Levy and co spending anything near that much on him, £15m is a huge fee, considering what we paid for Eriksen and Chadli; which is the type of deal they'll be looking to replicate.

Worth a £5m punt maybe.

There are plenty of examples of average players looking good in a weaker team, then getting found out or failing to step up to the pressure of a higher status club - Liverpool's recent transfer history is FULL of it- Carroll, Lambert, Adam, Lovren etc , not to mention Moses to anyone after Wigan and we've had our fair share in Pienaar, Dembele and others.

And don't be a prick calling him a retard, grow up.

Andy Carroll was never going to look good at Liverpool because Liverpool never played a game that catered to his physical style. Lovren will never look good at Liverpool because he doesn't have the same protection. Victor Moses has never looked the complete article and has always looked bad at big clubs because he has never played.

Also, you consider Dembele to be a flop? He has been made into a totally different player at Spurs, but his only standout attribute is his dribbling. Whether he is a dribbling striker or a dribbling defensive midfielder, he has never looked any worse by playing beside better players.

None of these players you have mentioned have crumbled because of the pressure. They are all capable of handling a little pressure. The difference being the Charlie Adam was more suited to a move to Swansea than he was Liverpool. His biggest strengths were his short and quick passes, not his long Xabi Alonso passes that Liverpool fans hoped he would all of a sudden be able to play consistently. Hell, they'd have been better buying Tom Huddlestone.

Edit: Also, Pienaar went back to Everton and had a pretty good season in which Everton finished above us. The suggestion that we are a much bigger club than Everton seems like a bit like you may have misspoken.

Last edited:

Sorry are you saying £15-20 million for Redmond? Cause shit has escalated if that's what a championship untested winger is worth...

Andy Carroll was never going to look good at Liverpool because Liverpool never played a game that catered to his physical style. Lovren will never look good at Liverpool because he doesn't have the same protection. Victor Moses has never looked the complete article and has always looked bad at big clubs because he has never played.

Also, you consider Dembele to be a flop? He has been made into a totally different player at Spurs, but his only standout attribute is his dribbling. Whether he is a dribbling striker or a dribbling defensive midfielder, he has never looked any worse by playing beside better players.

None of these players you have mentioned have crumbled because of the pressure. They are all capable of handling a little pressure. The difference being the Charlie Adam was more suited to a move to Swansea than he was Liverpool. His biggest strengths were his short and quick passes, not his long Xabi Alonso passes that Liverpool fans hoped he would all of a sudden be able to play consistently. Hell, they'd have been better buying Tom Huddlestone.

Edit: Also, Pienaar went back to Everton and had a pretty good season in which Everton finished above us. The suggestion that we are a much bigger club than Everton seems like a bit like you may have misspoken.

I think we're in agreement with most of that- there's always reasons for the player not reaching the same heights when given a "promotion", but the point stands that plucking a stand-out player from a weaker team is risky and it often doesn't work out.

Flop or not, I really like Dembele but he has delivered very little for Spurs, relative to his ability, in his three seasons. That may be related to too many managerial changes, but during the early AVB days I thought we had a midfield star in the making for years to come, but now he hardly gets in the first team.

Pienaar got a step up to us when we were in the Champions League but for whatever reason made little impact and went back- that's all I'm saying. Pienaar's strong season back at Everton was 2012/13 when Moyes was still around. He has been plagued with injuries for most of the time since.

Why? Clyne isn't a huge improvement on Johnson. Milner is a good player, but not going to be setting the world alight there. Bogdan is a bench warmer. Gomez is a bench warmer. Firmino is the only really good aquisition they have made on paper. And that is all subject to how quickly he settles in England.

They spent big last year and it went terribly for them.
hope you're right

Why? Clyne isn't a huge improvement on Johnson. Milner is a good player, but not going to be setting the world alight there. Bogdan is a bench warmer. Gomez is a bench warmer. Firmino is the only really good aquisition they have made on paper. And that is all subject to how quickly he settles in England.

They spent big last year and it went terribly for them.
I'm more reacting the news that they now look likely to sign Benteke.

I'll just leave this here...

Stoke agree deal for Shaqiri
Stoke City have agreed a €17 million (£12m) deal with Inter to sign Xherdan Shaqiri but the Switzerland international has not yet accepted a move to Mark Hughes’ side.

Source: Sky Sport Italia

Enjoy!!

Stoke have agreed a fee for Shaqiri!!!!! WTF!!!!
Meh, wait til he's wearing a Stoke shirt- very doubtful. Pretty sure we have allegedly agreed fees/ terms for Konoplyanka and that's likely bullshit for example.

The way I interpret "agreed a fee" is that Inter have told Stoke what he costs and Stoke have said "ok we would pay that", nothing more.

Sorry are you saying £15-20 million for Redmond? Cause shit has escalated if that's what a championship untested winger is worth...

21 year old English winger, who has over three seasons experience in league football, combined with a new TV deal which has seen teams earn even sillier money... You might not like it, but there's not many English players with his potential that will be cheaper than that. Woolwich paid over £20m for a defender from Southampton, United paid even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom