Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Levy said himself that the `new stadium scheme` would not in any way effect the strength of our playing squad or our short term and long term transfer budget. You keep using the stadium as an excuse. Are you saying he was telling lies then. Also aren`t Liverpool about to start work developing their own stadium ? Didn`t Woolwich talk about, plan, build and complete a new stadium all during ENIC`s ownwership yet still manage to finish above us every single season. Using the "proposed new stadium" to justify our pathetic transfer strategy is a very poor excuse I`m afraid. In fact it seems like your sucking up to ENIC.
The direct quote was that a % of the transfer budget was ring-fenced, not that the effect would necessarily be zero.

Woolwich had also just won a double and were raking in cash while they got their stadium in order. We were in the throes of the late-Sugar years and entry of ENIC.

It's pretty obvious we don't plan to stop trying to compete while the stadium is built. We also don't plan to build a team entirely through the transfer market, which is correct since that's not a reliable way to build a squad.

You try to hang every single difficulty the club has encountered on Levy alone, as if other people or outside circumstances were irrelevant. No one is arguing he is perfect, but your complaint that we are not sufficiently over-spending is patently ridiculous.

The fact that two clubs showed up not being run along business lines doesn't mean everyone else needs to follow suit, nor does it mean vainly chasing them with the same strategy is a good idea.

Once again you bemoan the individual trees standing in the way of your ambition while ignoring the fact you're in the middle of a forest.

I know what you mean but levy has made it clear that it will be investors funding the stadium , not THFC.

Which is exactly why the club has had to be run tip top financially for the last 10-15 years.

No one will invest 400M in a club that spent 2 or 300M they didnt have on transfers and wages, gambling on success to pay it back..

City were donated a stadium at the taxpayers expense. I wonder how things would have panned out for them if they had to pay for it.

Which is exactly why the club has had to be run tip top financially for the last 10-15 years.

No one will invest 400M in a club that spent 2 or 300M they didnt have on transfers and wages, gambling on success to pay it back..

City were donated a stadium at the taxpayers expense. I wonder how things would have panned out for them if they had to pay for it.

I didn't read anywhere where someone suggested spending £2 or £300m , did you?

Seeing Gerrard in a Galaxy shirt, I keep wonder WHY YOU LET HIM SLIP PAST, LEVY?!?!?!?
  • PROVEN PL EXPERIENCE
  • CAPTAIN
  • PART OF TITLE-CHALLENGING SIDE.
  • BLOODY ENGLISH
Then I see Lampard in an NYC shit, and I wonder WHY YOU LET HIM SLIP PAST, LEVY?!?>?!>!?
  • PROVEN PL EXPERIENCE
  • CAPTAINISH
  • PART OF TITLE-WINNING SIDE
  • ALSO WON INTERTOTO CUP and CL
  • HOMEGROWN
But, no. Instead we buy a bunch of waffle-munchers who idolise street micturition and worship a boy journo in plus fours secretly in love with an alcoholic seaman.
This is sarcasm right?

I didn't read anywhere where someone suggested spending £2 or £300m , did you?

No but some people seem annoyed by the fact we "dont spend"...in fact, we have spent 2-300M the last few years, we have simply recouped it and stayed above water. Spending our own money.

People seem to want us to be in debt, as if thats the marker for success.

How much should we spend then, that would make them happy? 50M?
Barely gets you an average striker anyway, why would that see us win stuff?

If people want us to go nuts, and break down spending barriers in order to get back to glory, then I can only assume they mean hundreds of millions, because thats what it will take to buy a title winning squad.

Personally, Id rather carry on building one the way we are.

Who: Trix
When: 12th July
Where: COYS

trix: McCarthy is affordable/gettable and ticks a lot of boxes. Don't believe Mirallas will happen even if he is being pushed our way.

Whored by Dov. All hail the Dovmeister!

No but some people seem annoyed by the fact we "dont spend"...in fact, we have spent 2-300M the last few years, we have simply recouped it and stayed above water. Spending our own money.

People seem to want us to be in debt, as if thats the marker for success.

How much should we spend then, that would make them happy? 50M?
Barely gets you an average striker anyway, why would that see us win stuff?

If people want us to go nuts, and break down spending barriers in order to get back to glory, then I can only assume they mean hundreds of millions, because thats what it will take to buy a title winning squad.

Personally, Id rather carry on building one the way we are.

I think during the Saha , Nelsen thing then a realistic none threatening amount could have been spent. Can't remember what say £30-£50m would have gotten us a world class player at that time.

Although I can't stand the git, I wonder what Suarez would have done to that squad. All ifs & buts of course but there was a time when I think we could have made a real case to cement a top 4 place.

Well just back from holiday, and the question remains.
Where's our striker?
We failed to get one in the winter window, and we've failed so far this summer.

I like the signings of Wimmer and Trippier, am not so convinced re Toby, because I think him and Jan aren't the right pairing for the Prem.

Looking at our current squad we'll do well to get 6th and I reckon it's 7th/8th place and no trophies we're looking at ATM. Basically we're on course for another frustrating ENIC-led season.

I think during the Saha , Nelsen thing then a realistic none threatening amount could have been spent. Can't remember what say £30-£50m would have gotten us a world class player at that time.

Although I can't stand the git, I wonder what Suarez would have done to that squad. All ifs & buts of course but there was a time when I think we could have made a real case to cement a top 4 place.
But we can't hang that all on Levy. 'arry turned Suarez down.

I think the Redknapp years were odd. We had a Champion's League quality squad, but with Harry refusing to work with a DoF there was only an never-ending stream of deals with friendly agents, rather than a single plan for the present and future of the squad. I think Levy spent a lot of that time just vetoing the volume of silliness Redknapp liked to engage in. If you look at Harry's patterns before and after us, Levy did as well as he could to save us from penury.

If there is a fault to be clearly laid at Levy's feet in that era, it's not forcing Harry to see reason and work with a DoF. If we'd had one, the strife of the Harry-AVB-Sherwood-Pochettino transition could have possibly been avoided.

Last edited:
Where's our striker?

I like the signings of Wimmer and Trippier, am not so convinced re Toby, because I think him and Jan aren't the right pairing for the Prem.

Looking at our current squad we'll do well to get 6th and I reckon it's 7th/8th place and no trophies we're looking at ATM. Basically we're on course for another frustrating ENIC-led season.
Deals take time, be patient. We've shown interest in at least one striker, likely have looked at several but none of that is public yet.

There's a plan, it's being stuck to. Judge at the end of the window, not 20% of the way through it.

Where's our striker?

I bet your holiday was barrel of laughs.

But we can't hang that all on Levy. 'arry turned Suarez down.

I think the Redknapp years were odd. We had a Champion's League quality squad, but with Harry refusing to work with a DoF there was only an never-ending stream of deals with friendly agents, rather than a single plan for the present and future of the squad. I think Levy spent a lot of that time just vetoing the volume of silliness Redknapp liked to engage in. If you look at Harry's patterns before and after us, Levy did as well as he could to save us from penury.

If there is a fault to be clearly laid at Levy's feet in that era, it's not forcing Harry to see reason and work with a DoF. If we'd had one, the strife of the Harry-AVB-Sherwood-Pochettino transition could have possibly been avoided.

I wasn't blaming levy, it was Harry's fault re Suarez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom