Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they did win multiple Eredivisie titles as a CB pairing at Ajax.

I can understand the concern about Jan, but Pochettino felt strongly enough about it that Levy made the most aggressive move I've seen him do to buy a player. I think we should trust Pochettino and Mitchell that they see something there.
Exactly. Gaining Toby gets the best from Verts.

I will be flabbergasted if we don't replace Soldado and/ or Adebayor. Levy and ENIC would have committed an unthinkable malfeasance. But I think it'd be wise to hold off on ripping them apart for that until the window closes. Chances are we are going to have a new striker or two.
Hi Yinzer, fair comments but I've made it clear I'm talking about what has happened since Jan 1.

If the club finally wakes up an gets in a new striker this window, then I'll probably change my mind etc.
We blew it in the winter window, so why should I be confident we won't blow it again this summer?

Moreover, if we wait till deadline day for example, how many points will have been lost by the time the new striker is fully integrated?

They could just make one big signing, a striker. I reckon either Cavani, Higuain or Benzema.They have already signed a replacement CB and now have 2 decent keeper
It wouldn't surprise me if they stay with Coquelin but it wouldn't surprise me either if they bought Schneiderlin as he would definitely play more.
Sounds like you're not easily surprised :kaboullol::levylol::paulinholol:

Last edited:
Terry/Cahill were great last year - neither is a physical specimen nor is either quick. The opposite really. But they obviously had positioning, organization and a lower line on their side. While we do play a higher line, the point is that speed and aerial prowess are not the end all be all in the league. There are ways around it. Hopefully the chemistry that Jan+TA have goes a long ways in that sense.

Completely disagree. I don't think there is a major difference in the leagues other than a little class. Styles are very similar. However, the key to any good CB partnership is understanding and familiarity. These guys have and can bring it to our shaky defence. I think if anything it is more positive because it will also be favourable with Hugo. Verts doesn't mind putting a foot in and with another CB alongside him he is confident in, it can only be positive IMO.
Fair enough DF, all about opinions. Jan can get physical at times I agree, but when it comes to battling in the box, I'm not convinced.

The last two seasons have left me disappointed with Jan. For sure he is a good CB, but not alas one that suits the Prem I fear, and certainly not us in the last two seasons. Of course, it's not been just his fault, but he's supposed to have been our number one defender hasn't he?

Terry/Cahill were great last year - neither is a physical specimen nor is either quick. The opposite really. But they obviously had positioning, organization and a lower line on their side. While we do play a higher line, the point is that speed and aerial prowess are not the end all be all in the league. There are ways around it. Hopefully the chemistry that Jan+TA have goes a long ways in that sense.
They also had Matic in front of them saving them from their flaws.

Once Poche had Eriksen drag him out of position, Cahill and Terry were lambs to the slaughter for Kane and Chadli.

I think Mirallas on form is good enough to start. A motivated Mirallas would bring very healthy competition and bring out the best in both Lamela and Chadli as he can play on either side. He is younger then Lennon, a lot more creative and scores/assists more than him so for £3,500,000 plus Lennon, the deal is a no brainer.

He scored 34 goals in 52 games for Olympiakos. Sure, it's the Greek league but we know it can be done. Much like when we signed Chadli off the back of scoring 25 goals in 84 appearances for FC Twente.
7 goals in 18 starts is not that bad. 7 in 29 sound less impressive, but even 7 more goals from another midfielder would help us immensely. Yet he usually plays where Chadli does. So, I can see him being an alternative to Chadli as Andros is to Lamela.
Defensively he's not that great, but just the same as Chadli really.
If we had Chadli and him on both wings we would lose lots defensively as Lamela, despite the criticism, is very good defensively in his position

Have you seen any matches with Toby and Jan playing along as CB's? We've most certainly upgraded Chiriches, I don't see the big catastrophe in that. With Wimmer as well, I think we are a lot strengthen in that position.
Have you, in the Prem or in a competitive international match against decent oppo?
Vlad is nether here nor there (alas too often :)). we already had Wimmer Trippier Yedlin and Dier to ensure we don't need to play him again.

Fair enough DF, all about opinions. Jan can get physical at times I agree, but when it comes to battling in the box, I'm not convinced.

The last two seasons have left me disappointed with Jan. For sure he is a good CB, but not alas one that suits the Prem I fear, and certainly not us in the last two seasons. Of course, it's not been just his fault, but he's supposed to have been our number one defender hasn't he?
At times I've been incredibly frustrated with Jan but I honestly do feel this is a very positive move for him and us.
watch him piss off to Real Madrid now

True but I feel it must be an improvement on what we had?

I don't think Toby is a better defender than Fazio if that is what you are asking me to be honest. I think Toby is faster, and Federico is better in the air. But I also think Federico has a better ability to read the game, I think he is stronger in the tackle and I think he is a pretty good leader.

Of course, all of this counts for arse all when his reading of the game has to go out of the window to try and cover for Mason/Bentalebs defensive weaknesses and his leadership won't count for much until he is better at English and is more respected in the dressing room.

I think during the Saha , Nelsen thing then a realistic none threatening amount could have been spent. Can't remember what say £30-£50m would have gotten us a world class player at that time.

Although I can't stand the git, I wonder what Suarez would have done to that squad. All ifs & buts of course but there was a time when I think we could have made a real case to cement a top 4 place.
thing is, redknapp apparently turned down suarez, and picked Saha and Nelsen every time they were fit..we have to assume they were his choices.

Hi Yinzer, fair comments but I've made it clear I'm talking about what has happened since Jan 1.

If the club finally wakes up an gets in a new striker this window, then I'll probably change my mind etc.
We blew it in the winter window, so why should I be confident we won't blow it again this summer?

Moreover, if we wait till deadline day for example, how many points will have been lost by the time the new striker is fully integrated?
The problem with this line of thought is that it ignores the issue that Pochettino needed to get rid of strikers, particularly Adebayor, before he could buy one in January.

But you know, don't let details like that get in the way of your narrative.

Have you, in the Prem or in a competitive international match against decent oppo?
Vlad is nether here nor there (alas too often :)). we already had Wimmer Trippier Yedlin and Dier to ensure we don't need to play him again.
I still bet that Toby is a better player than Vlad. Hopefully we won't see humiliating scenes like Stoke away next season. And with a good DM like Schneiderlin who can come and simplify the CB's job, we would be a concrete wall to break through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom