Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still bet that Toby is a better player than Vlad. Hopefully we won't see humiliating scenes like Stoke away next season. And with a good DM like Schneiderlin who can come and simplify the CB's job, we would be a concrete wall to break through.
Schneiderlin isn't so much a DM as an all-rounder. Pochettino seems to want two all-rounders working in tandem rather than a DM-Playmaker combination.

I don't think Toby is a better defender than Fazio if that is what you are asking me to be honest. I think Toby is faster, and Federico is better in the air. But I also think Federico has a better ability to read the game, I think he is stronger in the tackle and I think he is a pretty good leader.

Of course, all of this counts for arse all when his reading of the game has to go out of the window to try and cover for Mason/Bentalebs defensive weaknesses and his leadership won't count for much until he is better at English and is more respected in the dressing room.
I've not been impressed by Fazio and TBH feel he is one of those 2nd tier signings a lot have criticised. However, opinions as you say. We all see different things in different players.

Schneiderlin isn't so much a DM as an all-rounder. Pochettino seems to want two all-rounders working in tandem rather than a DM-Playmaker combination.
True, we had Capoue and Sandro, who fits Redknapp's clear role system better than Poch's. But Mason and Bentaleb were too easily overrun last season, which was the core of our defensive problems, rather than our CB's. I pray everyday this window that we get MS. He's been astonishing strong at Saints.

thing is, redknapp apparently turned down suarez, and picked Saha and Nelsen every time they were fit..we have to assume they were his choices.

I know mate... Wish it was one of the times levy just ignored the manager & bought whoever he wanted á la others players he's lumbered managers with

**** ducks for cover *****

True, we had Capoue and Sandro, who fits Redknapp's clear role system better than Poch's. But Mason and Bentaleb were too easily overrun last season, which was the core of our defensive problems, rather than our CB's. I pray everyday this window that we get MS. He's been astonishing strong at Saints.
Agree entirely, but I think Schneiderlin just may not happen, sadly.

We'll see who else was on the list.

I've not been impressed by Fazio and TBH feel he is one of those 2nd tier signings a lot have criticised. However, opinions as you say. We all see different things in different players.

It's his first season in a new league, and he was the best defender in a team that won the Europa League. He's a good player, but he really does need a bit of cover in front of him. His lack of pace makes him ill suited to a higher line as well as he can be caught out. Sadly for a lot of players, moving to a new country needs everything to click.

I think he was bought purely because he was the best defender in the Europa League winning team. Not because he looked a good fit for our team and/or system.

I still bet that Toby is a better player than Vlad. Hopefully we won't see humiliating scenes like Stoke away next season. And with a good DM like Schneiderlin who can come and simplify the CB's job, we would be a concrete wall to break through.
For all we know though Poch is planning to go with 3 centre backs ... Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Dier ... with Rose and Trippier wingbacks. Just have to wait and see how he plans to do things

I know mate... Wish it was one of the times levy just ignored the manager & bought whoever he wanted á la others players he's lumbered managers with

**** ducks for cover *****
I aint sure he has ever bought a player with out his managers approval, despite villas boas mouthing off. even if they did, Villas boas wanted the system as it was with baldini...so any player he didnt want was down to baldini.

To be honest, I'd go as far as to say we shouldn't even be discussing top 4 until the new stadium is built and we are all settled in. It will take more than Toby and Morgan to get us that extra place. But as a club, ticking along at 5th isn't a bad thing.

When asked what Tottenham's new objectives are, he replied: "The same as last season, but to do better.
"We're in a similar position to where we were last year so hopefully next season we'll take a step up and really compete with all teams across the board."

Eriksen

"Last season we finished fifth, which is a good position. It's a platform, we have to be better now.
"Grabbing fourth place could be one of the best things of the season and obviously we're playing in the Europa League and no matter what competition we will play in, you can be sure that we will give 100 per cent and we want to lift up one trophy this season."
Bentaleb

“Playing for the top four is not easy, but we want to be ambitious and prepare for next season and try to fight for the top four.”
Poch

I think we have every right to expect the club to fight for top 4 next season.
People try to play down the fact that its our target, for what reasons I dont know. Maybe it hurts less when we miss out if they convince themselves that the words of our players, chairman and manager are just hollow press releases..?

Its clear as daylight what our target is next year. Its the same as it was this year, and the year before that.

The stadium has nothing to do with it. I hope our aims change to actually trying to win the CL and PL when we are settled into the NDP after some 15yrs and some 800M invested in the entire thing, as opposed to going through all this so we can scrape 4th.

You're looking at net transfers as an isolated factor, which makes no sense. Wages are such a big factor, that making any sort of argument based, in part, on Burnley spending 1m net, is ludicrois.

We're presenting good financial results in a football context, but it's not like we're stacking up profits in any way, and ENIC's not pulling money out. So where would you find the money? You can't really save on wages along with bringing more expensive players. Our ticket prices are already nearly the most expensive, so that's a no-go. The only way, as far as I can tell, is creating debt. Just because there 15+ other PL teams acting like tossers is no excuse for us to do so.
Yes, you are right. If we want to compete and pay big transfer fees and big wages, for at least 18 players, in the present state we would have to double tickets prices- at least - to compete with Woolwich.
Can't have it both ways.
That's if the players want to come to a club who are not in the CL.
History says they will, if you pay them enough and pay enough for them, as that was the case with Man city. However, we make more than them on Matchday's and their fans complained about paying £60 for a ticket.
That tell's you all you want to know.
How can a club won had won fuck all suddenly get the biggest ever shirt sponsorship deal of £400m over 10 years when the previous was £3m over 2 years ( massive for them with Thomas Cook)
Coinciding with the take over of Abu Dhabi and Eithad belonging to the owners?
It should never have been allowed in the first place. It was well over inflated. Who else would have given them that much, then? That's how they are able to do it.
Blame the EPL, not our owners.

How do we have a bigger match day revenue and bigger wage bill than Newcastle on a much smaller capacity? Maybe because if they put up tickets prices to match ours they would get nobody turning up?
So, really you'd like us to be taken over by an Oil rich country, plough money into the club through over inflated sponsorship/advertising deals from subsidiaries of the owners?
Or some Russian thief who would use our club to legitimise himself and escape the wrath of Putin's purge?Basically Roman would be dead or in a Siberian Jail if he wouldn't have bought those cunts. Now he's just a puppet for Putin.
The other option, now, is to hike tickets prices.

Without the two cheating cunts, there would be possibly two teams who live within their means battling it out for the title each year, but still outspending everyone else. We then may have CL football each year but we still couldn't outspend those two. I doubt we would win the fucking league either.
Just be patient mate ( Mr Thomas) , because you may get your wish to be just like Man city and Chavs after we have one of the, if not the, best training facilities and a nice new stadium ENIC might decide to sell to some other country with an unelected Governement with human rights abuses such as stoning and flogging. But that doesn't matter, hey, we might win the title!

When asked what Tottenham's new objectives are, he replied: "The same as last season, but to do better.
"We're in a similar position to where we were last year so hopefully next season we'll take a step up and really compete with all teams across the board."
Eriksen

"Last season we finished fifth, which is a good position. It's a platform, we have to be better now.
"Grabbing fourth place could be one of the best things of the season and obviously we're playing in the Europa League and no matter what competition we will play in, you can be sure that we will give 100 per cent and we want to lift up one trophy this season."
Bentaleb

“Playing for the top four is not easy, but we want to be ambitious and prepare for next season and try to fight for the top four.”
Poch

I think we have every right to expect the club to fight for top 4 next season.
People try to play down the fact that its our target, for what reasons I dont know. Maybe it hurts less when we miss out if they convince themselves that the words of our players, chairman and manager are just hollow press releases..?

Its clear as daylight what our target is next year. Its the same as it was this year, and the year before that.

The stadium has nothing to do with it. I hope our aims change to actually trying to win the CL and PL when we are settled into the NDP after some 15yrs and some 800M invested in the entire thing, as opposed to going through all this so we can scrape 4th.

4th place will always be a struggle however when the teams above us continue to outspend us and are able to consistently outspend us until we are done building the stadium. I don't think aiming to continue finishing 5th is unambitious, I think it's just being realistic. The other teams are able to strengthen better than us, our best hope right now is that we don't move backwards, and that with a bit of luck, we end up finishing in the top 4, giving us extra cash and a chance to compete for better names.

Without the two cheating cunts, there would be possibly two teams who live within their means battling it out for the title each year, but still outspending everyone else. We then may have CL football each year but we still couldn't outspend those two. I doubt we would win the fucking league either.
Yeah but one of them would be Arseanal, so until we're in a position to do summit about it, I'll stick to what we've got for now...

Ah haaaaa.... but that's exactly what you'd WANT us to think... ISN'T IT KEVIN FROM ACCOUNTS!?

:paulinhofacepalm:

But in all seriousness, I'd love to think I'm not an absolute cunt to people just for having an opinion. I'd at least like to think I'd try and argue why I think their opinion is wrong, instead of just calling them a gooner cunt.

Hell. I'm a little bit embarrassed that CretinousGoat says he supports the same club as us all.:pochfacepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom