Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two names - Dybala and Mandzukic

None of those would have come to us
No, they likely wouldn't, although I'm not sure about Dybala. But look at what they're paying. Dybala's their biggest signing since 2001/02. And he was 32m. They're not spending more than us. They can leverage their history and competitive position in Italy to market themselves well, which is both smart and natural, but they actual budget they're playing with is close to our own.

As I said in my original point: We're not unusual in our spending, nor is it a small club mentality. It's the way business is done for all but a very few clubs. And our spending and approach is consistent with the clubs who have roughly the same resources as us.

Yeah, I do and yeah I did. Now, looking at Juventus right now, they spend the same amounts of money on transfers we do, with the same kinds of players. They have advantages in appeal, but they're not working with a substantially different budget.
Erm...huh? Have you seen how much money Dani Alves is on at Juve?!

Not even the same ballpark.

Also Tevez and Morata (albeit a loan) neither would have come to us.

Juventus have a proud history, probably the biggest Italian side. Perhaps we have a similar Forbes value but ours is overly inflate by TV money.
In addition to higher salaries and silve-ware

We're not in the same league unfortunately but I kind of understand know what Juci is arguing

In addition to higher salaries and silve-ware

We're not in the same league unfortunately but I kind of understand know what Juci is arguing

I think once we have the stadium and a side that is competitive I think it'll be easier for us to attract players of the calibre that some are demanding. As it is we cannot just go and sign a load of £30m players and pay them £100k+ a week.

Ignoring the rugby figures this says it all about what we pay....
IA6L6QS.jpg

150k a week for a 33 year old is smart?

Ok.
Not saying that is smart, but not paying any transfer fee, so you can offer wages that tempt, is. If you look at their recent transfer history, there are a lot of very low fees or free transfers for guys they may have only wanted for the 12 months as depth signings.

That's not something we do, as Pochettino doesn't seem to like that approach, but it is something that arguably has paid off well for Juventus.

Smart way to spend money???

You're contradicting yourself - Levy would never sanction this idiocy
Levy wouldn't on that particular player. But taking someone on a free because the club feels there's enough value there to justify 12 months of wages? Yes, that is the kind of math that appeals to him.

It's not in our current approach, as we're much more sell-on/youth development-oriented. But the idea of signing players you think are under-valued is not far away from our approach.

I think once we have the stadium and a side that is competitive I think it'll be easier for us to attract players of the calibre that some are demanding. As it is we cannot just go and sign a load of £30m players and pay them £100k+ a week.

Ignoring the rugby figures this says it all about what we pay....
IA6L6QS.jpg
Sterling on £180,000 a week :chadliblow:
Genuinely still see him as a very exiting prospect with little end result.

He's on 5k more than Kane, Alli, Dier, Rose and Walker combined:adewtf:

David Bentley has signed the most lucrative deal in Tottenham's history, joining on a six-year contract.

The winger will have cost Spurs £32million in transfer fees and wages by 2014 if he fulfills his potential with them.

The club confirmed to the Stock Exchange this morning they have paid Blackburn £15m with a further £2m depending on appearances. It is also believed Bentley, 23, will earn £50,000-a-week

No, but it's an illustration of how a club can attract a player when there is no fee involved. Look at judas.
Absolutely. But we won't do that whilst we have such major expenditure elswehere. Nor do we have the gravitas of Juventus. A team that were CL finalists within the last 2 years.

We aren't competing with the Juventus' of this world. Not yet.

Levy wouldn't on that particular player. But taking someone on a free because the club feels there's enough value there to justify 12 months of wages? Yes, that is the kind of math that appeals to him.

It's not in our current approach, as we're much more sell-on/youth development-oriented. But the idea of signing players you think are under-valued is not far away from our approach.
So, to summarise

- we do not have the same pull as Juventus
- we do not sign the same type of players
- we have similar turnover inflated mostly by our TV revenue

Absolutely. But we won't do that whilst we have such major expenditure elswehere. Nor do we have the gravitas of Juventus. A team that were CL finalists within the last 2 years.

We aren't competing with the Juventus' of this world. Not yet.
No, I accept that, but I do see the other side of the argument. 20 years ago it would have been a laughable comparison.

Back
Top Bottom