Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have an option of closing up shop in victor.
Just need a player to bring on to create chances or 1 who scores goals.
Enter insigne & Janssen.

I doubt we could get insigne.
So what about raffael? 1st player I didn't know on the most assists in europe list.
Experienced & helped his team finish 4th in the german league.
Anyone know much about him?

Is this you joining in with one of my posts?

Fuck me!

Which is what we sort of have done, according to Janssen himself this morning. He says we bid 18 for him, and he wants AZ to hurry up and take it rather than trying to get 20.

Use the currency icon or say the word, throwing around numbers without helps no one.

We've bid 18 millions euros, which is around £14.8 million. Add another 1-2 million pounds on and I'd imagine we'll get him.

Use the currency icon or say the word, throwing around numbers without helps no one.

We've bid 18 millions euros, which is around £14.8 million. Add another 1-2 million pounds on and I'd imagine we'll get him.
It gets to the point where you have to wonder where the actual tradeoff in price vs value lies.

1-2 million now to get the guy in time for a full preseason and ensure no other teams swoop in at the last minute? Not the worst use of money.

After all, how much value would one place in gaining a couple more points at the start of the season? (which is more likely the sooner we get players in place and prepared)

*looks at the final table from last season*

Yeah... I'd put a lot of value in that to be honest.

how much value would one place in gaining a couple more points at the start of the season?

In terms of monetary value? Not much.

£1,236,083 per position in the table. Leicester literally got paid £2mil more than we did, for winning the title, in terms of merit based payment.

Unless the difference is between 5th and 4th, there really isn't much. But even 1 place more or less makes the money back.

It gets to the point where you have to wonder where the actual tradeoff in price vs value lies.

1-2 million now to get the guy in time for a full preseason and ensure no other teams swoop in at the last minute? Not the worst use of money.

After all, how much value would one place in gaining a couple more points at the start of the season? (which is more likely the sooner we get players in place and prepared)

*looks at the final table from last season*

Yeah... I'd put a lot of value in that to be honest.

Less about whether the cost is really worth a full preseason v an abbreviated one, and more to do with the reputation of the club.

Look at clubs like United, chavs, City. They have a reputation of spending the money, and as such as soon as they come in for a player the selling club slaps a nice rich tax on the price. Players keep getting more expensive for them each window, it's a spiral.

Look at the dippers, they've become an easy mark because they don't negotiate. Now they're bettering the over-bid price for Bats to get Mane.

So what's a £1m here or there? A lot, because once you get a reputation for caving, rather than being tough negotiators, every club we talk to is going to inflate their price and hold our feet to the fire knowing we'll cave. Add it up over a window, and it's worth an extra player or being able to give raises to our deserving players so they don't get their heads turned.

Less about whether the cost is really worth a full preseason v an abbreviated one, and more to do with the reputation of the club.

Look at clubs like United, chavs, City. They have a reputation of spending the money, and as such as soon as they come in for a player the selling club slaps a nice rich tax on the price. Players keep getting more expensive for them each window, it's a spiral.

Look at the dippers, they've become an easy mark because they don't negotiate. Now they're bettering the over-bid price for Bats to get Mane.

So what's a £1m here or there? A lot, because once you get a reputation for caving, rather than being tough negotiators, every club we talk to is going to inflate their price and hold our feet to the fire knowing we'll cave. Add it up over a window, and it's worth an extra player or being able to give raises to our deserving players so they don't get their heads turned.
Hallelujah.

This guy gets it.

In terms of monetary value? Not much.

£1,236,083 per position in the table. Leicester literally got paid £2mil more than we did, for winning the title, in terms of merit based payment.

Unless the difference is between 5th and 4th, there really isn't much. But even 1 place more or less makes the money back.
Hmm. A finish above Woolwich is worth a lot more than that to us, though. (Unfortunately, more to the fanbase than the bloody players, it would seem)

Look at clubs like United, chavs, City. They have a reputation of spending the money, and as such as soon as they come in for a player the selling club slaps a nice rich tax on the price. Players keep getting more eexpensive for them each window, it's a spiral.

Good point well made, I hadn't thought of that. And it's even more important as the market becomes crazier and crazier.

Last edited:
Hmm. A finish above Woolwich is worth a lot more than that to us, though. (Unfortunately, more to the fanbase than the bloody players, it would seem)

Good point well made, I hadn't thought of that. And it's even more important at the market becomes crazier and crazier.
In regards to caving, Maybe that is why Southampton love doing business with Liverpool yet make it hard for us.

We've already seemingly gone from "he's only £11m" to "he's only £17m" in various places on the web, so we're not all that far off paying £20m for a guy that may not represent value for money.

I mean, surely that's twice what they want for Sanabria... or Bony money? Not necessarily "Bony would be better for us", but you catch my drift.

Yes it's a spiral, but it doesn't necessarily help us, as we're seeing.

We've already seemingly gone from "he's only £11m" to "he's only £17m" in various places on the web, so we're not all that far off paying £20m for a guy that may not represent value for money.

I mean, surely that's twice what they want for Sanabria... or Bony money? Not necessarily "Bony would be better for us", but you catch my drift.

This view is the very issue with Levy and posters alike.

We just go from one failed sit on the toilet to another.

It's nearly always a bit of a gamble. In our transfer dealings we are so mid-table in that regard that the club hardly deserve the support it gets.

Constipation Hotspur.

I'd just pay the asking price and get the deal done. He is a striker so if he is sucessful then he will recoup the money. If he is not successful then we will lose out anyway but the difference wont make a huge difference. I personally think he is an all round player and will become a star. Right now, the likes of Chelski might bid for him just to spite us. Just get him in and ready for pre-season.

This view is the very issue with Levy and posters alike.

We just go from one failed sit on the toilet to another.

It's nearly always a bit of a gamble. In our transfer dealings we are so mid-table in that regard that the club hardly deserve the support it gets.

Constipation Hotspur.

Not necessarily, we after often quite sharp at signing players we seem to want - I think that the fan perspective is too assumptive, where we seemingly stall for players we think we want, or can have, yet the evidence suggests that we probably hesitate for other reasons.

Wanyama was signed with little fuss (last summer they flat out refused to sell, which isn't hesitation).

I can't think of too many players, in recent years, that have gone elsewhere and left us with regrets. Look at the dross Liverpool bought ahead of us, and what we ended up with instead.

Back
Top Bottom