Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we're in a stronger position this year than last, no doubt.

I just don't see where this 1st XI improvement everyone demands comes from.

Isco was the only player I saw that'd usurp anyone.

Losing out on those players we've been linked with today (Sissoko, Meyer etc.) hasn't changed anything. They aren't the difference between failure and success imo.
We need to be in a far stronger position than last year. We exited the EL against a top European side. We fell away at the end in the Prem. It ought to have been the summer objective to make sure we were in a healthy state to compete. To be honest, I just don't see the point in selling Chadli & (especially) Mason & think we are stronger without replacing them. Those academy lads are in for a baptism of fire this year. In the 2 toughest competitions out there. Poch is a newcomer to the CL Ffs. Let's hope you're right.

Ps we are still 12th Deloitte Football Money League 2016 | Deloitte businesses
So kindly get ur facts straight...then maybe people would bother to read ur whole post
People? Because you couldn't read a one line post? It might help your credibility if you actually read the link you posted. As far as I'm aware it is now 2016 and the season has started. In the bottom left hand corner, in blue writing. I just don't want you to get it wrong again. Now fuck off.

giphy.gif

ok lets meltdown together. Santini out!

Spoiler that shit, no one likes to see animals get blown up

Which one of our starting XI would you upgrade to make our team better, who would you upgrade them with that's available in the market, and how much would that player cost us? These are reasonable questions to your concern.

Mane is one player I'd have loved to have seen sign for us quality with pace exactly what we need behind Kane.

Max Meyer another could have provided the creative spark we so often missed last season and give Eriksen a much needed kick up the ass, 20 years of age with lots of potential fits the profile of the player we should be looking at.

What an inane tweet. It was the same last season. I wonder if he put up a similar tweet last DD?
Edit: before someone quotes me and says LCFC didn't spend more than us last season, they did. We were outspent by nearly everyone including Sunderland, Bournemouth , PalaceStoke, Waste Glam, Newcastle and of course Liverpool.
And eventually we, you, the club, like Wenger still is reluctant to get his head around has to understand that there's only one way this game can and will go.

There's no use bemoaning that players are too expensive or "he's not worth that much". If we wish to win something at some point in the near future this is the transfer game we have to play or are you happy for this club to have as much ambition as West Brom.

That does not mean every player has to break a club record fee, of course you can still find bargains but you won't win shit basing your team around finding bargains, there needs to be the odd big money signing, don't know why that can't be one per season.

Anyway sleep time here, looking forward (sarcasm) to waking up to underwhelming DD activity

The issue here isn't selling players that were bench players, it's the lack of replacing those players, preferably with better players. That's the problem.

I personally wouldn't have had a huge issue with this transfer window if we just held on to Mason and Chadli. I am not saying they were top class but they both played and contributed a fair bit last season. I certainly had no issue if either were moved on. However, to sell them at the death of the window and not replace/upgrade on them is a huge mistake imo.
Especially Chadli, we have no like for like replacement for the end product he provided.

We need some pace out wide - presume N'Koudou is in for that, and why we had a sniff at Zaha
We need a little more invention (particularly when Eriksen is not on his game) - not sure who can provide that as Isco isnt going to happen but hopefully we are working on something

Also wouldnt mind a young prospect with a bit of pace to give us some balance wide in addition to N'Koudou. Other than that I think the squad looks fine, as people keep saying above it's all about players who actually improve on what we have if Poch thinks Winks / Onomah are trusted to be the replacements for our outgoing squad players

"We have improved because now we have two strikers and now I think we need some players in the second line of offence to help the team compete better and have more quality in the squad because it will be a very tough season with us with the Champions League and very tough competitions."

Bearing in mind Poch said this before we sold Chadli/ Mason... I'm not melting here, just pointing out that the manager made it quite clear what he felt we needed - unless he's referring to bringing players through the academy, or "some players" being N'Koudou?

"We have improved because now we have two strikers and now I think we need some players in the second line of offence to help the team compete better and have more quality in the squad because it will be a very tough season with us with the Champions League and very tough competitions."

Bearing in mind Poch said this before we sold Chadli/ Mason... I'm not melting here, just pointing out that the manager made it quite clear what he felt we needed - unless he's referring to bringing players through the academy, or "some players" being N'Koudou?
I kept pointing this out to the in poch we trust crowd. Poch thinks we are in trouble.

Mane is one player I'd have loved to have seen sign for us quality with pace exactly what we need behind Kane.

Max Meyer another could have provided the creative spark we so often missed last season and give Eriksen a much needed kick up the ass, 20 years of age with lots of potential fits the profile of the player we should be looking at.
Mane isn't available and Meyer isn't coming here unless we spend 50+ Million on him and even if we did, who is to say he's better than Eriksen as a starter? Come on, you seem to be legitimately mad that we haven't signed anyone to replace and better our Starting XI, Meyer as a possible replacement for Eriksen is the best you can come up with?

We've won just one league game in 7 and fell away alarmingly at the end of last season. Why are so many in denial that this transfer window has so far been fucking huge let down.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't have had a huge issue with this transfer window if we just held on to Mason and Chadli. I am not saying they were top class but they both played and contributed a fair bit last season. I certainly had no issue if either were moved on. However, to sell them at the death of the window and not replace/upgrade on them is a huge mistake imo.
Especially Chadli, we have no like for like replacement for the end product he provided.
Though I agree, a healthy Son (if he is) is like a permanent replacement for Chadli yes?

People? Because you couldn't read a one line post? It might help your credibility if you actually read the link you posted. As far as I'm aware it is now 2016 and the season has started. In the bottom left hand corner, in blue writing. I just don't want you to get it wrong again.

What did I get wrong exactly? That clearly says we are 12th and "may" overtake our "continental" competitors due to broadcasting money. Money which our domestic competitors will also get and therefore our standing in relation to the teams that matter will not change.

And as I said before I miss read ur one line. Which as it turns out was a load of bollocks anyway.

But whatever. I don't know why I'd expect a level headed debate with u. My bad. I guess at least ive avoided ur usual "howl" of abuse and naughty words.

But if we got there by giving young players a chance why do we feel the need to replace them with expensive purchases to stay there? In fact, should we suddenly outspend most of the 16 clubs who are currently above us in the 'who spent the most' league, what does that say to the youth that got us there in the first place?

I really don't understand your point, you've just lauded the youth that got us to the top 4 as a follow up to a post that complained we haven't spent enough buying new players. o_O

The youth was Alli and Dier. Two years ago it was Kane and Mason, and Bentaleb that broke through. Those players are now either well established pieces of our starting 11 or shipped out. We would be banking on Onomah and Winks making a similar impact this season to that of Dier and Alli last season, I just think that is unlikely. Trust me I clearly want us to to well, but I am worried that by shipping off players like Chadli, Mason, and Bentaleb without spending any of the money raised that we are leaving our squad short of the depth needed to compete on all fronts.

Back
Top Bottom