Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know what is actually more entertaining - the anticipation of the reality that we still could sign someone, or reading through reams of hyperbolic despair.

Seems like the desire was to get in a backup for kane, and a backup for Dier/Dembele that isn't Mason or Bentaleb (based on the shit show last season). Everyone also wanted to get business done early.

We've shifted some stale players, and may well have signed a decent young GK (yet to be confirmed) plus a, potentially, shit hot Chadli replacement in N'koudou. (We didn't see N'jie and Chadli much, last season, so not having him is the same as just Chadli going).

So that's four potentially in:
Wanyama
Janssen
N'koudou
Lopez

About £40-50m worth maybe.

The whole idea of our reign under Poch has been about making our own players - not because we're skint, or don't want to spend, but because we make better players that way - lads who not only fight for and love the club, but are more likely to be happy to turn down Madrid because they grew up here and are fans (Kane, for example).

I still think we'll get someone extra in. At the end of the day, it's categorical that Pochettino has the final say over the team, so we're either getting someone, or he is happy with what is at his disposal.

Looking at some of the forums, you'd think we signed absolutely no one at all and don't have enough to field a team. Why all the doom and gloom - can't it wait until the window closes and there's a bit more certainty over all this flapping? 'worst window ever' and 'terrible' etc. Really?

for the people who say our starting 11 is great we dont need anything, dont you think that this one time where we dont have tons of issues represents a great opportunity to strengthen the squad?
We have huge issues, we have no pace or dribbling ability in the squad. Teams can easily play a high line against us (like Liverpool), because there's no threat of counter-attacks. Teams can park the bus against us because we don't have the technical ability to unlock a defence. We rely sorely on passing, and when that doesn't come off we're screwed

I read his initial post Furball as he wants to strengthen our starting XI, "not just squad". I agree a thousand percent with needing to strengthen the bench with players that will actually make the difference late in games. But to gripe that we aren't signing players to take the spot of Eriksen, Lamela, Kane, or whoever he thinks we need to replace is just ridiculous.

It'd be pretty bloody hard to replace any of them but I feel some need genuine competition for their places.

I'm a bit worried that Eriksen's dip in form is partly to do with complacency . Sure some of the yoof will come through I'm sure but it's a big ask for an entire season.

All in my opinion of course

What time does the window shut?

It doesn't shut it SLAMS SHUT!

giphy.gif

We will probably announce N'Koudou at 10:30pm when it's dark and the pictures of him will be in the daylight when they were taken sometime in July when he came for his medical.

And eventually we, you, the club, like Wenger still is reluctant to get his head around has to understand that there's only one way this game can and will go.

There's no use bemoaning that players are too expensive or "he's not worth that much". If we wish to win something at some point in the near future this is the transfer game we have to play or are you happy for this club to have as much ambition as West Brom.

That does not mean every player has to break a club record fee, of course you can still find bargains but you won't win shit basing your team around finding bargains, there needs to be the odd big money signing, don't know why that can't be one per season.

Anyway sleep time here, looking forward (sarcasm) to waking up to underwhelming DD activity.
There are 3 domestic trophies to win this year. Who do you think will win them?
Man U, Chelsea, City, Woolwich or Liverpool...then again we may have another surprise this season.
All those other clubs who have spent millions upon millions eh.
Its football mate and we are trying to rectify it. You better get used to it.

last 10 yrs:
Man U have won the league cup x3
Chelsea x2
Man City x2
Birmingham, Swansea and Liverpool

FA cup last 10
Chavs x4
Woolwich x2
Manu x1
Man city x1
Wigan and Portsmouth

League title last 10
Man U x5
Man City x2
Chavs x 2
Leicester

We will probably announce N'Koudou at 10:30pm when it's dark and the pictures of him will be in the daylight when they were taken sometime in July when he came for his medical.
Let's see if it even happens. N'jie supposedly doesn't want the Marseille move, my guess is that's what's holding the deal back

But you've just admitted that our best players will be playing more games. So there's understandable concern about that. Anyway, I don't want to argue with you. So I'll leave it there.

Cheers.
I'm not sure that's true. Dier certainly won't play every game like he did last season with Victor there. I imagine Wimmer will get more games too. Kane will get rests with Janssen there. N'Koudou will do the job N'Jie was too injured to. Dembele already missed 4.

I think we'll utilise what we have a bit more than last season.

the fucking game, two fucking illegal goals:roseunsure::walker-scream: still think we are better as a team this season

In any other relevant country for football we would not talk about anything more, the worst refereeing i've ever seen tbh

Yeah we are better, Brahimi is staying after all - with the correct mentality I hope - and I am almost sure we are buying Aderlan.

We have huge issues, we have no pace or dribbling ability in the squad. Teams can easily play a high line against us (like Liverpool), because there's no threat of counter-attacks. Teams can park the bus against us because we don't have the technical ability to unlock a defence. We rely sorely on passing, and when that doesn't come off we're screwed

Unfortunately I have to agree, we showed a lot of struggles against Liverpool and Dortmund for those reasons.
Maybe Nkoudou will be a surprise, wishful thinking.

There are 3 domestic trophies to win this year. Who do you think will win them?
Man U, Chelsea, City, Woolwich or Liverpool...then again we may have another surprise this season.
All those other clubs who have spent millions upon millions eh.
Its football mate and we are trying to rectify it. You better get used to it.

last 10 yrs:
Man U have won the league cup x3
Chelsea x2
Man City x2
Birmingham, Swansea and Liverpool

FA cup last 10
Chavs x4
Woolwich x2
Manu x1
Man city x1
Wigan and Portsmouth

League title last 10
Man U x5
Man City x2
Chavs x 2
Leicester

Why are people so keen to make excuses for why we don't win anything? And why are the people who think that we could win the odd trophy along the way being slated? We're a big club. Big clubs are supposed to win stuff. Am I getting this wrong, or is this why non Spurs fans think we're not a big club? I'm honestly confused.

I read his initial post Furball as he wants to strengthen our starting XI, "not just squad". I agree a thousand percent with needing to strengthen the bench with players that will actually make the difference late in games. But to gripe that we aren't signing players to take the spot of Eriksen, Lamela, Kane, or whoever he thinks we need to replace is just ridiculous.

Eriksen hasn't done enough for me, for it to be considered ridiculous to be replacing him all about opinions though.

Back
Top Bottom