Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are people so keen to make excuses for why we don't win anything? And why are the people who think that we could win the odd trophy along the way being slated? We're a big club. Big clubs are supposed to win stuff. Am I getting this wrong, or is this why non Spurs fans think we're not a big club? I'm honestly confused.

Do you think that other clubs and fans don't see us as a big club because we haven't been a big club for such a long time? Do you think it might have something to do with the strength of the league we are in?

I love Spurs, but if you're to look at it as unbiased as you can, we aren't a big club right now. Far from a small club, but definitely not the biggest out there. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

Watching spurs in the champions league was magical because nobody thought we could do it. But it the only people to consider us a big club are our own fans, then it's pretty damn likely that we aren't as big a club as we think, and without this slow growth under enic, without this consistent finishing in the top 6, we would probably be seen as an even smaller club. 60 years ago doesn't mean jack shit here in 2016, not a fucking thing.

I get you but don't you think, with the players we've just let go, that we're a tad short for 4 competitions?

Off the top of my head i'd say we have roughly 2 players per position with a few youngsters to bed as well.
Agree we could buy/improve maybe another position in midfield but I'm not too fussed about it.

I think we are fine and I don't think we should just chuck money at any old dross.
I also don't see it as a failing that we haven't signed anyone on the last day.

Janssen, N'Koudou, Wanyama and that young Espanol keeper (possibly) isn't bad business for the summer.

I guess my point is we can certainly improve and we finally have a good opportunity where we dont have a huge hole. I just dont like the response of "our starting 11 is good so we dont need to buy anything". Id have taken mane or boufal, whether they are starter or bench id let poch sort it out. My fear is not that we end in 10th this year, its that we end in 5th go to europa lose a few key pieces and then HAVE to buy next year
Buying players for our bench is different than replacing a member of our starting XI
:walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream:

It is fair to give the benefit of the doubt to the board + Poch but as it was pointed out we have some troubles when teams are playing dig an high defense system.

But it is also fair to expect a bit more from this window, because we were after Wijnaldum, Isco, Zaha and now Sissoko, we sold Mason and Chadli and we got no one in the last couple of days.
If we are after some players that means we acknowledge our weaknesses and doing nothing is putting too many pressure on the youngsters on a CL and defending top 4 year.
Still believe we are a top5 contender and our group allows to dream of a 1st place and an easier draw on the last 16 phase

Do you think that other clubs and fans don't see us as a big club because we haven't been a big club for such a long time? Do you think it might have something to do with the strength of the league we are in?

I love Spurs, but if you're to look at it as unbiased as you can, we aren't a big club right now. Far from a small club, but definitely not the biggest out there. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

Watching spurs in the champions league was magical because nobody thought we could do it. But it the only people to consider us a big club are our own fans, then it's pretty damn likely that we aren't as big a club as we think, and without this slow growth under enic, without this consistent finishing in the top 6, we would probably be seen as an even smaller club. 60 years ago doesn't mean jack shit here in 2016, not a fucking thing.

Yeah, we're probably a bit deluded.

Get real. What's your definition of a big club out of curiosity? Is Liverpool a big club?

They're a club with a lot of history. In the last 11 years they have won a major honour and over the last 25 years have finished in the top 4 more often than not. They have a larger fan base than us and are the biggest club currently in their city.

Back
Top Bottom