Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

N'jies number?

Levy saving money on the number 14s he already bought for the club shop...

PXO81LV8HUyEo.gif

The youth was Alli and Dier. Two years ago it was Kane and Mason, and Bentaleb that broke through. Those players are now either well established pieces of our starting 11 or shipped out. We would be banking on Onomah and Winks making a similar impact this season to that of Dier and Alli last season, I just think that is unlikely. Trust me I clearly want us to to well, but I am worried that by shipping off players like Chadli, Mason, and Bentaleb without spending any of the money raised that we are leaving our squad short of the depth needed to compete on all fronts.

Winks, Onomah and Edwards don't have to do what Dier and Dele did, they only have to do what Chadli, Mason, and Bentaleb did, and that shouldn't be such a huge ask for them. And it's much easier to ask them to sit on the bench and wait for their chance, and ask them to give everything to take their chance when they get it. If we brought in 3 guys for big money to show our intent to the world, would these guys be happy to start on the bench? Would they give everything to prove they are worthy of playing next week? Or would they expect to start at the expense of the younger lads based on little more than their transfer fee and what they achieved elsewhere?

Poch has always insisted on creating a tight knit squad, players who believe in themselves and their teammates, bringing in a big money, big name player is a risk and a risk only worth taking if we are certain that the player involved is going to show the same hunger and desire as a lad from the academy in spite of their previous exploits or transfer fee.

They're a club with a lot of history. In the last 11 years they have won a major honour and over the last 25 years have finished in the top 4 more often than not. They have a larger fan base than us and are the biggest club currently in their city.

Yeah, and we have been better just about every year since our last CL-hurrah. We are definitely a big club. We wouldn't have been able to sign players like signed Lloris, Lamela and Eriksen if we weren't.

Yeah, and we have been better just about every year since our last CL-hurrah. We are definitely a big club. We wouldn't have been able to players like signed Lloris, Lamela and Eriksen if we weren't.

We're not that big a club. For many people, that champions league run was the first they had seen of Spurs in their lives. Had I not had family members who supported Spurs, growing up in Scotland they would have just been another mid table nobody, much like a villa, a west brom, an Everton. When you ask people who the big clubs are in England, many will say Liverpool before they say Spurs. It was considered a fluke when we first finished above them, the same goes for the season following that as well.

If once again we exceed expectations and are a success this year do you lot promise to just STFU next deadline day?

It's getting boring you trotting out the same negative shit and the team, manager or chairman proving you wrong.

Isco says he's staying, but we all know that players lie about this sort of thing....

Isco: "I'm staying" | football | AS.com

And where do Leicester come ?
They definitely break the traditional pattern. They're actually only the second team in the history of the Premier League to win without having one of the 3 most expensive XIs (the first was Man United in 1997, who had the 4th-highest).

1kIeMm1.jpg

EDIT: Source is fun little article titled "Why Liverpool Never Win the League", which breaks down how the top 3 clubs had a stranglehold on the title in the post-Abramovich era. Even Leicester's title last season was only possible because all three of them imploded simultaneously.

We're not that big a club. For many people, that champions league run was the first they had seen of Spurs in their lives. Had I not had family members who supported Spurs, growing up in Scotland they would have just been another mid table nobody, much like a villa, a west brom, an Everton. When you ask people who the big clubs are in England, many will say Liverpool before they say Spurs. It was considered a fluke when we first finished above them, the same goes for the season following that as well.

Yeah, I agree we are not as big a club among the average football supporter, but anyone even slightly more invested in football will say we are a very, very big club - but we're not in the same tier as the Reals, Barcas and Uniteds. It's not a fluke when you finish above a lot 6 out of 7 seasons though, that's all I'll say :allitongue:

for the people who say our starting 11 is great we dont need anything, dont you think that this one time where we dont have tons of issues represents a great opportunity to strengthen the squad?

Name a player other than Isco we were in for that would have vastly improved our starting XI?

Did you lot forget last year? Our team is excellent. Y'all go on as if they aren't one of the best teams around. Nor the youngest.

Back
Top Bottom