Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So much facepalm in this post.

I don't think anyone is saying we base our choice of AMs simply on their defensive contribution, but for our (very succesful) style of play it is vital that they do contribute defensively and work hard throughout the game.

Even if we did want a lazy AM who's not contributing defensively, I don't think we'd go for one who also contributes less offensively than what those we already have does.

3 goals and 6 assists in 1850 minutes and no defensive contribution at all?

Pass.

You're also forgetting any possible influence poch's coaching could have had on him. I'm not saying he's a world beater. But I am saying he is better than any back up we have for lamela currently and he also would have cost less than half a saido berahino

That's why we pay scouts - not FM fanbois on the Internet who wank over stats

Tell me - did anyone here say we should go and buy Alli from League 1 last season?

They might have. And they might have been ignored for such a ludicrous suggestion. But that still doesn't mean we should be selling chadli who has had a positive influence on our season this year and last and will likely have a positive influence next year as well if given a chance.

Considering squawka is rating him based on his defensive attributes as a midfielder, I'm not really bothered by how lowly rated they say he is.

I've watched him play numerous times and it's clear to see the lad is quality and he has won Stoke points singlehandedly countless times this season.

I'd take a winger who can beat his man, score a goal and create a chance. Especially considering the rest of our team clearly shits all over Stoke.

If we're basing our attacking midfielders on just their ability to defend we should just sell eriksen, lamela and alli and buy shawcross and a couple of other defenders to slap on some tackles up there.

They're rating him on both defensive and attacking contributions. If you don't think defensive contributions is important for any midfielder then we might as well end it here.

And obviously I/we aren't judging att mids on defensive contributions. I was replying to you claiming, he works hard. That was pretty fucking far from what I'm seeing every time, I see him play. So I checked the numbers....to see whether I was biased against him or not. He clearly doesn't contribute both ways to the team. So either you're not watching very much of the lad play as you accussed me of, or you don't understand what you're seeing when watching a match.

Tell me - did anyone here say we should go and buy Alli from League 1 last season?

As always, the point evades you entirely. It isn't about the stats per se. It's about watching matches in a sport, you love, and then furthering your understanding of the game by looking at numbers afterwards. Not basing opinions on numbers from the start.

As always, the point evades you entirely. It isn't about the stats per se. It's about watching matches in a sport, you love, and then furthering your understanding of the game by looking at numbers afterwards. Not basing opinions on numbers from the start.

I don't think players are signed purely on stats without being watched but I would say players are identified because of stats and then watched , I personally feel the stats guys are a vital part of improving football teams .

There is a reason he hasn't been anywhere near the first 11 this season and that is mostly due to his poor work-rate, lack of pace and general limited technical skill set

For the sake of his career - hope he moves on in the summer so we can re-invest the funds in young talent

But the stats tell me there are only a handful of players out there that we can replace with apparently :pocheyes:

The chadli bashing going on in here is fucking ridiculous and a lot of the comments pretty damn harsh. He's been a good player who has come on and won us points from the bench this year and it really isn't a fucking problem if he continues to do so next year.

You all keep banging on about how he doesn't start because he's shit but how about acting like supporters and saying he doesn't start simply because other players who do start are just so exceptional?

Is chadli world class? No. Is he a very good sub to have on the bench? Of course he is. There are few clubs in the epl with a player of chadli and sons quality, who they can bring off the bench to earn some points,

Everyone keeps arguing saying that we should re invest the money but who do we reinvest it on that we could guarantee would be able to come on from the bench and actually influence a game?

I haven't bashed Chadli, I have said he is a useful squad player, he is nowhere near the starting 11. However some believe that we could command £25m for a substitute with a limited skill set. From our squad he along with a few others I feel are upgradeable. If he stays I won't be upset about it same as if he goes.

Outside of the top 5 euro league watching that many on here claim to do. I bet they didn't know who Alli from League 1 was? To be fair he gained quite a bit of press in his demolition of Utd in the FA Cup and was L1 young player of the year in 2015.

I haven't bashed Chadli, I have said he is a useful squad player, he is nowhere near the starting 11. However some believe that we could command £25m for a substitute with a limited skill set. From our squad he along with a few others I feel are upgradeable. If he stays I won't be upset about it same as if he goes.

His lack of importance to our squad is really the only thing making that price tag huge. 25 is still a bit high though. 18/20 is more realistic, but it's incredibly hard to justify that asking price on someone who isn't a first team regular.

Either way, I don't see us selling him. Not a ton of clubs interested in buying him and we just won't be interested in selling him. I wouldn't say he has limited ability either though, he just isn't eriksen or lamela.

His lack of importance to our squad is really the only thing making that price tag huge. 25 is still a bit high though. 18/20 is more realistic, but it's incredibly hard to justify that asking price on someone who isn't a first team regular.

Either way, I don't see us selling him. Not a ton of clubs interested in buying him and we just won't be interested in selling him. I wouldn't say he has limited ability either though, he just isn't eriksen or lamela.

I'm not an advocate of getting rid, I just think if we got an offer of £10m+ the board would consider it.

I'm not an advocate of getting rid, I just think if we got an offer of £10m+ the board would consider it.

I think it would need to be upwards of 15 personally. He's scored a lot and made a lot of goals in what could be called limited appearances.

There are obviously better players out there, but it could fuck with the harmony.

I personally hope there is ground to kovacic, if not kovacic then tielemans. And then it's that age old striker debate.

I think it would need to be upwards of 15 personally. He's scored a lot and made a lot of goals in what could be called limited appearances.

There are obviously better players out there, but it could fuck with the harmony.

I personally hope there is ground to kovacic, if not kovacic then tielemans. And then it's that age old striker debate.

Bearing in mind we signed him for about £7m having had a few injury plagued seasons at Twente, £10m+ is a profit still. I think his ceiling value is £15m, as a non-starter that is good money still. Others quoting £25m though have their heads in the clouds.

I have faith in the scouting and coaching staff to find the right players. The good thing is it's methodical and not picking names out of a hat anymore or following the Dippers scouts everywhere.

Bearing in mind we signed him for about £7m having had a few injury plagued seasons at Twente, £10m+ is a profit still. I think his ceiling value is £15m, as a non-starter that is good money still. Others quoting £25m though have their heads in the clouds.

I have faith in the scouting and coaching staff to find the right players. The good thing is it's methodical and not picking names out of a hat anymore or following the Dippers scouts everywhere.

For me the striker debate is a huge issue. If we sign someone young they won't get the game time to develop enough I feel, unless they can spend time on the wing like martial or Clinton (who I'm still not entirely convinced by, but I'm still willing to give time to).

The alternative is an older back up who we still feel could do a job when called upon. Personally I like millik, but his game time would be limited i feel as he is very much a striker. Who knows though, our scouts have surprised us before

For me the striker debate is a huge issue. If we sign someone young they won't get the game time to develop enough I feel, unless they can spend time on the wing like martial or Clinton (who I'm still not entirely convinced by, but I'm still willing to give time to).

The alternative is an older back up who we still feel could do a job when called upon. Personally I like millik, but his game time would be limited i feel as he is very much a striker. Who knows though, our scouts have surprised us before

Back up for Kane and Dier are still the essential areas for upgrade for next season. We can discuss until the cows come home, but Son & Chadli are not back up central strikers. We need a player who can play at No. 9. I agree that it is a difficult position to fill as Kane's position is nailed on. However the fear of long term injury to him without adequate back up is scary.

Back up for Kane and Dier are still the essential areas for upgrade for next season. We can discuss until the cows come home, but Son & Chadli are not back up central strikers. We need a player who can play at No. 9. I agree that it is a difficult position to fill as Kane's position is nailed on. However the fear of long term injury to him without adequate back up is scary.

Scarier than the fear of unrest in the dressing room? I find that a traditional position can disappear in our formation. Eriksen isn't a left winger but it's where he spends his time. Son to me is better suited to playing up top than chadli mind you, but neither fill me with confidence if they need to play 20 games.

But nor would any striker that we sign really.

But the stats tell me there are only a handful of players out there that we can replace with apparently
One of the most deluded clowns on here, no doubt

Some kind of paper-pusher or accountant would be my guess. Probably counts the exact number of corn-flakes that go into his bowl every morning based on a weekly average

Last edited:

If anyone did, it would probably be FM fanboys. The first time I heard about Alli was before we showed any interest in him. A friend of mine had bought him on FM and he'd been brilliant and quickly became an english international.

FM gets it right sometimes.

If anyone did, it would probably be FM fanboys. The first time I heard about Alli was before we showed any interest in him. A friend of mine had bought him on FM and he'd been brilliant and quickly became an english international.

FM gets it right sometimes.

Funnily enough, FM has scouts and also has knowledge given to them by some scouts as well. They have gotten it horribly wrong before as well, but some players just dont live up to the hype

I remember buying Khouma Babacar in like, fm10 and he became a world class striker. He's now a nothing player in Fiorentina's reserve team i'm sure

Back
Top Bottom