Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watch a ton of football. Usually watch between five and all ten PL matches each week (though with half an eye on the matches). Shaqiri is almost always subbed off by Hughes, when they're defending a result. My personal take is that he isn't dependable defensively when push comes to shove.

And Son, Chadli and Eriksen are all defensive gods? We're not talking about a defensive player, we're talking about an offensive player who is under 5'7, of course he would be the first taken off when defending a lead. Mark Hughes is a good manager who knows what he's doing. He's also the first player Mark Hughes would bring on when chasing a goal.

You have your opinion, and I have mine on the player, but to describe him as overrated is an insult to a player who has worked pretty fucking hard for every opportunity he has gotten, and an insult to a player who has shown on every stage that he can be a game changer, whether its the euros, the world cup, the Bundesliga, The Premier League, Serie A, he's performed well and changed games, and that is something every football club should be looking to have in their team.

I don't claim to know names but anyone in their right mind can deduce that there is more than likely going to be X number of young players better than Chadli.
There's likely to be X? So, you have no idea if the number is 1, 100 or 0, but there just must be because of what? Moonbeams, the tooth fairy or the grass always being greener?

I'm not saying Chadli's anything other than a great sub. But before claiming he's easy to replace with "many" alternatives, perhaps actually look at data and see what is reality.

For me a solid back up for Eriksen, if we are planning to play our inside forward behind the striker and our attacking midfielders on the wings would be Insigne, but I don't know how he would cope with the physicallity due to his severe lack of strength. He's get outmuscled by Yaya Toure's gas after curry night.

As for a Marquis signing including youngsters, can we really look any further than Youri Tielemans?

As for the striker question, I still don't know who out there is a better option than Chadli/Son in my opinion. But we definitely need another player in the squad because if Eriksen, Lamela and Kane are all injured, we are very thin with only Clinton, Son and Chadli.
If you're looking for strikers younger than 24, Berardi, Janssen, Batshuayi, Haller, and Milik are probably the best targets. If you want an AM, Boufal, maybe Ousmane Dembele. Or Alex Pritchard if he's healthy, maybe.

There's likely to be X? So, you have no idea if the number is 1, 100 or 0, but there just must be because of what? Moonbeams, the tooth fairy or the grass always being greener?

I'm not saying Chadli's anything other than a great sub. But before claiming he's easy to replace with "many" alternatives, perhaps actually look at data and see what is reality.

The reality is Chadli isn't Champions League standard, stats are skewed due to the amount of actual playing time he's had how many 90min matches has Chadli played in this season compared to Alli who we're using as a bench mark? Alli has proven to be younger, cheaper as good a contributor as CL quality Chadli without having ever played outside of League 1 until he joined us. Did your precious stats spreadsheet mark out Alli as a player better than Chadli? Of course there are better players out there and Mitchell and Pochettino are tasked with finding them. We can upgrade Chadli cheaper than say a Kane, Alli or Eriksen. He's a solid PL player, but not a starter for us and at best a sub for our starting 11.

The reality is Chadli isn't Champions League standard, stats are skewed due to the amount of actual playing time he's had how many 90min matches has Chadli played in this season compared to Alli who we're using as a bench mark? Alli has proven to be younger, cheaper as good a contributor as CL quality Chadli without having ever played outside of League 1 until he joined us. Did your precious stats spreadsheet mark out Alli as a player better than Chadli? Of course there are better players out there and Mitchell and Pochettino are tasked with finding them. We can upgrade Chadli cheaper than say a Kane, Alli or Eriksen. He's a solid PL player, but not a starter for us and at best a sub for our starting 11.
Alli's played 1464 minutes before last weekend, Chadli 896.

And I didn't say there weren't better players out there. I said it would be hard to find someone happy to be a squad player with his output. Which remains true. You claimed there were plenty of options out there, but knew who none of them happened to be, nor what actual offensive output they had. If you don't like being called on hyperbole, don't make stuff up.

A monsterous summer would include the likes of:

Batshuayi
Ousmane Dembele
Boufal
Tielemans
Witsel

Won't happen but maybe we get one or two, being top 4 and having such an amazing manager should make us attractive.

Even with the TV money and better sponsorship we'd probably have to make quite a few sales. Depending on how ruthless Poch is I'd imagine some of the below could be in danger.

Carrol
Chadli
Mason
Bentaleb

We only have to go back 18 months to see how much Poch has changed the squad and I don't think he will stop till he things it's perfect.

Alli's played 1464 minutes before last weekend, Chadli 896.

And I didn't say there weren't better players out there. I said it would be hard to find someone happy to be a squad player with his output. Which remains true. You claimed there were plenty of options out there, but knew who none of them happened to be, nor what actual offensive output they had. If you don't like being called on hyperbole, don't make stuff up.

It's not hyperbole though is it? We're not talking about replacing Kane. We're talking about Chadli there are ten a penny wingers like that out there plying their trade in other leagues who will be happy to come and play for us. Just because you want me to name names it does not make it any less true. That Chadli is a squad player who is expendable unlike our actual starting 11. Plus rating him at £25m who is talking hyperbole?

Bale rejects new Real Madrid deal, alerts Manchesters United and City

TOP STORY: Bale rejects new Real Madrid deal, alerts Manchesters United and City
Gareth Bale is set to snub a contract extension at Real Madrid, which has alerted both Manchester United and Man City, paving the way for a transfer tug-of-war this summer, according to Tuttomercatoweb (via The Sun).

Bale has enjoyed a bounceback season in La Liga, and Los Merengues hope the Welshman will pen a new deal until 2021, but the former Spurs star is tempted by a return to the Premier League. The 26-year-old could now be the prime target for both Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho, should the latter replace Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford this summer.
xIRK8DP.jpg

And Son, Chadli and Eriksen are all defensive gods? We're not talking about a defensive player, we're talking about an offensive player who is under 5'7, of course he would be the first taken off when defending a lead. Mark Hughes is a good manager who knows what he's doing. He's also the first player Mark Hughes would bring on when chasing a goal.

You have your opinion, and I have mine on the player, but to describe him as overrated is an insult to a player who has worked pretty fucking hard for every opportunity he has gotten, and an insult to a player who has shown on every stage that he can be a game changer, whether its the euros, the world cup, the Bundesliga, The Premier League, Serie A, he's performed well and changed games, and that is something every football club should be looking to have in their team.

15/16 season per 90 min
Tackles:
Shaqiri 0.44 - 25% won
Chadli 0.77 - 38% won
Eriksen 1.19 - 49% won
Son 2.00 - 46% won

Interceptions:
Shaqiri 0.49
Chadli 0.77
Eriksen 1.09
Son 0.86

Clearances:
Shaqiri 0.15
Chadli 1.83
Eriksen 0.87
Son 0.76

So yes, you can remove the question mark. Compared to that entitled lazy player, they're defensive Gods.

Squawka rates him as the 127th best PL midfielder this season out of 172 to play at least 5 matches. WhoScored rates him 132nd of 292 players of all positions to play more than the average number of matches.

Whatever you're seeing to call him a steal isn't actually happening. Unless 4-5 world class actions per season that everyone sees on MOTD, while the rest of his actions are average at very best, is enough for you to call 12m a steal?

As we have all those laptop coaches out tonight, the stats say we're top goal scorers, least goals conceded, youngest avg aged squad. So we by rights are the best team in the league! However Leicester are top. So yes stats can be useful. However the reality is don't always believe the numbers.

Chadli's stats probably come against the shittier sides in the league. Whereas Alli's and Kane have been built against all sides. However I'm a cunt for not saying actually Berahino, Dembele, Arnautovic, Shaqiri would be an upgrade to Nacer Chadli who is worth £25m.

15/16 season per 90 min
Tackles:
Shaqiri 0.44 - 25% won
Chadli 0.77 - 38% won
Eriksen 1.19 - 49% won
Son 2.00 - 46% won

Interceptions:
Shaqiri 0.49
Chadli 0.77
Eriksen 1.09
Son 0.86

Clearances:
Shaqiri 0.15
Chadli 1.83
Eriksen 0.87
Son 0.76

So yes, you can remove the question mark. Compared to that entitled lazy player, they're defensive Gods.

Squawka rates him as the 127th best PL midfielder this season out of 172 to play at least 5 matches. WhoScored rates him 132nd of 292 players of all positions to play more than the average number of matches.

Whatever you're seeing to call him a steal isn't actually happening. Unless 4-5 world class actions per season that everyone sees on MOTD, while the rest of his actions are average at very best, is enough for you to call 12m a steal?

Considering squawka is rating him based on his defensive attributes as a midfielder, I'm not really bothered by how lowly rated they say he is.

I've watched him play numerous times and it's clear to see the lad is quality and he has won Stoke points singlehandedly countless times this season.

I'd take a winger who can beat his man, score a goal and create a chance. Especially considering the rest of our team clearly shits all over Stoke.

If we're basing our attacking midfielders on just their ability to defend we should just sell eriksen, lamela and alli and buy shawcross and a couple of other defenders to slap on some tackles up there.

Of our attacking options off the bench, after Chadli and Son there is a BIG drop-off. Onomah is just 18, and will improve. N'jie, when fit is on Chadli/Son's level, as is Pritchard. But Mason and Carroll, as lovely human beings as they are, sadly just don't produce enough to be worth keeping. It's a talent gap from Champion's League-level to mid-table Premier League, and we can't afford that when we'll need much more from our bench next year.

I disagree.

If you need to replace Eriksen, the best option may be Carroll. If you need to replace Alli (particularly his movement), the best option may be Mason. Plus, they can also be played as CMs.

If you field Chadli, Son and N'Jie, you might find that you don't have the right mix of qualities.

There is a reason he hasn't been anywhere near the first 11 this season and that is mostly due to his poor work-rate, lack of pace and general limited technical skill set

For the sake of his career - hope he moves on in the summer so we can re-invest the funds in young talent

The chadli bashing going on in here is fucking ridiculous and a lot of the comments pretty damn harsh. He's been a good player who has come on and won us points from the bench this year and it really isn't a fucking problem if he continues to do so next year.

You all keep banging on about how he doesn't start because he's shit but how about acting like supporters and saying he doesn't start simply because other players who do start are just so exceptional?

Is chadli world class? No. Is he a very good sub to have on the bench? Of course he is. There are few clubs in the epl with a player of chadli and sons quality, who they can bring off the bench to earn some points,

Everyone keeps arguing saying that we should re invest the money but who do we reinvest it on that we could guarantee would be able to come on from the bench and actually influence a game?

Considering squawka is rating him based on his defensive attributes as a midfielder, I'm not really bothered by how lowly rated they say he is.

I've watched him play numerous times and it's clear to see the lad is quality and he has won Stoke points singlehandedly countless times this season.

I'd take a winger who can beat his man, score a goal and create a chance. Especially considering the rest of our team clearly shits all over Stoke.

If we're basing our attacking midfielders on just their ability to defend we should just sell eriksen, lamela and alli and buy shawcross and a couple of other defenders to slap on some tackles up there.

So much facepalm in this post.

I don't think anyone is saying we base our choice of AMs simply on their defensive contribution, but for our (very succesful) style of play it is vital that they do contribute defensively and work hard throughout the game.

Even if we did want a lazy AM who's not contributing defensively, I don't think we'd go for one who also contributes less offensively than what those we already have does.

3 goals and 6 assists in 1850 minutes and no defensive contribution at all?

Pass.

So much facepalm in this post.

I don't think anyone is saying we base our choice of AMs simply on their defensive contribution, but for our (very succesful) style of play it is vital that they do contribute defensively and work hard throughout the game.

Even if we did want a lazy AM who's not contributing defensively, I don't think we'd go for one who also contributes less offensively than what those we already have does.

3 goals and 6 assists in 1850 minutes and no defensive contribution at all?

Pass.

3 goals and six assists in his first season in England, playing for Stoke. Don't forget half the forum were talking about how good a choice Victor Moses could be at the start of the season.

Everyone keeps arguing saying that we should re invest the money but who do we reinvest it on that we could guarantee would be able to come on from the bench and actually influence a game?
That's why we pay scouts - not FM fanbois on the Internet who wank over stats

Tell me - did anyone here say we should go and buy Alli from League 1 last season?

Back
Top Bottom