Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just because he was bad at that shambles of a team - doesn't mean he would have been equally bad for us - ludicrous logic.

15m for Chadli would be a steal - he's a mid-table level player - no shame in that
I find this continual under-rating of our players by you to be quite amusing. You claimed they were all shit at the start of the year, and you've been unwilling to admit that the team is much better than you thought it was. Since you were wrong about that, Falcao and even your choice of coming here as a Man United fan, perhaps you should just admit you don't know very much and leave it at that.

He's undoubtedly got a lot more data than I do, since I just looked at whoscored.

But my point stands. If you don't actually know any players who are better, why claim there are many? You don't actually know that to be the case at all.

We already have several in our team who are better than Chadli, hence his not starting week in, week out. When was the last time he started a PL game? He's already got Son and Lamela to get ahead of. I don't claim to know names but anyone in their right mind can deduce that there is more than likely going to be X number of young players better than Chadli. Useful squad player yes. He would be a starter for the likes of Stoke, WBA, Norwich. However you can see the players that have kicked on since Pochettino's arrival and those that have not.

As I keep repeating I am happy we have Chadli in our squad because he can be useful sometimes. However if we were offered £10m+ I would not be sad to see him leave as we more than likely will have someone better to fill the void.

PS. cannot believe I am in agreement with ArcspacE ArcspacE love you really pal! ha

I find this continual under-rating of our players by you to be quite amusing. You claimed they were all shit at the start of the year, and you've been unwilling to admit that the team is much better than you thought it was. Since you were wrong about that, Falcao and even your choice of coming here as a Man United fan, perhaps you should just admit you don't know very much and leave it at that.
I never said they were all shit - fuck off with your lies. 15mil for Chadli is massively overvaluing him - not the other way around

Your stats proved Chadli is better than Kane - switch off you PC, go outside and take a break for a few hours.

I never said they were all shit - fuck off with your lies. 15mil for Chadli is massively overvaluing him - not the other way around

Your stats proved Chadli is better than Kane - switch off you PC, go outside and take a break for a few hours.

You don't understand numbers and stats do you? The stat proves that Chadli is doing better than Kane on ONE parameter. And one that's more significant for AM/wingers than strikers. That's not saying he's better, or even doing better than Kane.

Yes, you can judge things with generel football understand and working eyes as you said in another post. But if you dismiss stats and don't understand basic numbers then what conclusions you draw from what your eyes see doesn't carry much weight.

You don't understand numbers and stats do you? The stat proves that Chadli is doing better than Kane on ONE parameter. And one that's more significant for AM/wingers than strikers. That's not saying he's better, or even doing better than Kane.

Yes, you can judge things with generel football understand and working eyes as you said in another post. But if you dismiss stats and don't understand basic numbers then what conclusions you draw from what your eyes see doesn't carry much weight.
Wrong - he said Chadli is doing better than Kane in key passes/assists/goals combined. Either way - do you think he's worth 25m?

Would anyone agree that our wide players, especially this season, have been more effective when they are more (excuse the football manager terminologies) advanced playmakers as opposed to traditional wingers or inside forwards. What I mean by this is our best style of player in those positions is a more Eriksen/Lamela build. Meanwhile the likes of Chadli and Son perhaps seem to struggle a bit because it changes our style.

I see Eriksen and Lamela as those pulling the strings while the likes of Dele and Kane are there to be the more goalscoring options. This argument would stand to argue that the likes of Son would be better played as a rotation for Dele. Perhaps we should be looking at great number ten type players (the creative sorts) who could be used as inverted wingers. Examples off the top of my head, but not necessarily my suggestions are the likes of Lorenzo Insigne and Arda Turan.

I see it as a similar sort of role Luka Modric played when it was his first season here and he started a lot on the left.

Does anyone have any opinions on this that don't involve screaming at me for not saying Chadli is shit or good?

Wrong - he said Chadli is doing better than Kane in key passes/assists/goals combined. Either way - do you think he's worth 25m?

Yes, he did. Which you made out to mean that Chadli is better than Kane. Meaning you're picking a fight or understand fuck all.

In a world/league where Firminho is 28m, Sterling 49m, Borini 8m, Depay 31m, Schweinsteiger 14m, Wijnaldum 14m, Thauvin 12m, Brady 7m, Shaqiri 12m, Pedro 21m.....then yes he's worth 20-25m at least. And that's just last summer.

In fact, there's maybe one or two of those where I'd say the value for money would be better than a 25m Chadli (based on what was known/expected at the time of the deals).

Per 90 minutes, the stats don't lie mate. He is getting a better average, but he is playing much less minutes so I wouldn't put too much value into that stat as an overall number. Scoring 30 goals against the Man Utd under 10s team doesn't mean you will score 30 against Real Madrid.

Chadli is a useful squad player, I wouldn't see him sold (especially not to a rival) for a penny less than £15 million. If we were going off of skill alone if Berahino is worth £25 million, Chadli is worth £30 Million. But Berahino is a £15 million player at best, I'd say £18 million is a pretty fair value for Chadli, but we don't exactly need to sell him unless we have another option who we feel would settle into the system very quickly.

Marco Reus anyone?

Yes, he did. Which you made out to mean that Chadli is better than Kane. Meaning you're picking a fight or understand fuck all.

In a world/league where Firminho is 28m, Sterling 49m, Borini 8m, Depay 31m, Schweinsteiger 14m, Wijnaldum 14m, Thauvin 12m, Brady 7m, Shaqiri 12m, Pedro 21m.....then yes he's worth 20-25m at least. And that's just last summer.

In fact, there's maybe one or two of those where I'd say the value for money would be better than a 25m Chadli (based on what was known/expected at the time of the deals).
With respect - this is one of the most idiotic arguments in the whole thread.

Chadli worth more than Pedro or Shaquiri - LOL

21 for pedro and 12 for shaqiri are both fucking steals tbh.

Simple enough policy to speculating about transfer policy in my mind...
  • Think about our starting XI.
  • Is there a player who cannot be adequately replaced by another member of our squad should they get injured?
  • That's where you need to start looking.
So by those standards, it's pretty clear that ST and CM are the most important positions to add in a player.

Further to that, I'd say the best way to improve the squad overall is to add a marquis signing (I'm including hot prospects in that category) who can push our current players forward.
Eriksen, for example, has played an enormous amount of minutes this season, and would benefit from having a CAM who could both provide competition and act as a pacey outlet for his creative talents.

21 for pedro and 12 for shaqiri are both fucking steals tbh.

Problem with transfer fees is that they are basically meaningless without the additional info of at least contracted years remaining, wages and player age. To compare player prices I would say that it would be necessary to say something like:

What would the player be worth if contra-factually:

- He was 23
- His new wages is 50´ k
- Remaining contract at current club is 3 years

I thought in the summer (and said as much on here) and think even more so now that Shaqiri is hugely overrated.

As for Pedro, I should have specified that the one or two, I would have felt was maybe better value, was Pedro and Depay.

He's done pretty well for Stoke. You may think he is overrated but he has pulled off quality pieces of play at every club he has been at to merit the reputation he has. He's had some blindingly good games for Stoke this year and at 12 million they will be laughing to the bank, same with West Ham with Payet. Those two signings are huge coups for those clubs. If Shaqiri can nail down some consistency he could be one of the best right wingers in the Premier League right now and I think he'd have been fan fucking tastic cover for Lamela.

Problem with transfer fees is that they are basically meaningless without the additional info of at least contracted years remaining, wages and player age. To compare player prices I would say that it would be necessary to say something like:

What would the player be worth if contra-factually:

- He was 23
- His new wages is 50´ k
- Remaining contract at current club is 3 years

Shaqiri was 23, would have been on about 70k a week I reckon and had only just signed with inter so you could assume he had at least 3 years left on his contract?

Pedro was obviously 28/29, had higher wages and probably only had a year or two left on his contract and a surefire knowledge that he was behind both Neymar and Messi in the wings for Barca.

Simple enough policy to speculating about transfer policy in my mind...
  • Think about our starting XI.
  • Is there a player who cannot be adequately replaced by another member of our squad should they get injured?
  • That's where you need to start looking.
So by those standards, it's pretty clear that ST and CM are the most important positions to add in a player.

Further to that, I'd say the best way to improve the squad overall is to add a marquis signing (I'm including hot prospects in that category) who can push our current players forward.
Eriksen, for example, has played an enormous amount of minutes this season, and would benefit from having a CAM who could both provide competition and act as a pacey outlet for his creative talents.

For me a solid back up for Eriksen, if we are planning to play our inside forward behind the striker and our attacking midfielders on the wings would be Insigne, but I don't know how he would cope with the physicallity due to his severe lack of strength. He's get outmuscled by Yaya Toure's gas after curry night.

As for a Marquis signing including youngsters, can we really look any further than Youri Tielemans?

As for the striker question, I still don't know who out there is a better option than Chadli/Son in my opinion. But we definitely need another player in the squad because if Eriksen, Lamela and Kane are all injured, we are very thin with only Clinton, Son and Chadli.

He's done pretty well for Stoke. You may think he is overrated but he has pulled off quality pieces of play at every club he has been at to merit the reputation he has. He's had some blindingly good games for Stoke this year and at 12 million they will be laughing to the bank, same with West Ham with Payet. Those two signings are huge coups for those clubs. If Shaqiri can nail down some consistency he could be one of the best right wingers in the Premier League right now and I think he'd have been fan fucking tastic cover for Lamela.

They're coups for those clubs, because it's - arguably - worthwhile for clubs trying to go from top 10-12 clubs to top 7-8 or whatever to have a matchwinner who's a bit of luxury player who can win matches on their own, even if they're lazy cunts with huge egos. Trying to creating a trophy-winning TEAM is a different proposition. We've been doing well to rid our squad of those types, and if they were available for 2 packets of crisps, they'd not be a value purchase for us. Not now or even in the summer.

They're coups for those clubs, because it's - arguably - worthwhile for clubs trying to go from top 10-12 clubs to top 7-8 or whatever to have a matchwinner who's a bit of luxury player who can win matches on their own, even if they're lazy cunts with huge egos. Trying to creating a trophy-winning TEAM is a different proposition. We've been doing well to rid our squad of those types, and if they were available for 2 packets of crisps, they'd not be a value purchase for us. Not now or even in the summer.

If you feel Shaqiri doesn't work hard for the teams he plays for and is a luxury player then I really don't think you have watched a ton of him play. He's a very hard worker and a jovial spirit among dressing rooms with a smile always on his face. He's moved from Bayern Munich to Stoke in under a year, hardly something an ego maniac would do.

If you feel Shaqiri doesn't work hard for the teams he plays for and is a luxury player then I really don't think you have watched a ton of him play. He's a very hard worker and a jovial spirit among dressing rooms with a smile always on his face. He's moved from Bayern Munich to Stoke in under a year, hardly something an ego maniac would do.

I watch a ton of football. Usually watch between five and all ten PL matches each week (though with half an eye on the matches). Shaqiri is almost always subbed off by Hughes, when they're defending a result. My personal take is that he isn't dependable defensively when push comes to shove.

Back
Top Bottom