Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure if this will cheer people up, put things in perspective or put a dampener on things to come but I found it quite interesting and it could hopefully shed a little light on where things possibly stand and what we've got in store for us over the next few years if things aren't done right with the long term in mind:

Since 2000 when Woolwich started buying land for the Emirates they have sold 19 of their players to clubs where the player went onto bigger things after leaving Wengers nomad clan. These players are:

Anelka
Petit
Overmars
Vieira
Ashley Cole
Diarra
Reyes
Henry
Hleb
Kolo Toure
Adebayor
Sagna
Clichy
Nasri
Fabregas
Alex Song
Van Persie
Vermaelen
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Tottenham in the same time have only sold 6 players to bigger clubs with those being the following:

Carrick
Keane
Berbatov
Modric
Bale
Walker

Two things I take from this are that we really may need to sell and watch our money transfer wise over the next few years in order to fund the stadium over the next decade as painful as that reality may be, that Woolwich really fucked themselves over by not drawing out their loans to be over a longer period of time or that they were extraordinarily stupid with a lot of their retention strategies when balancing football with business. A large majority of the players they sold once they were out of Highbury left on a free or with 12 months left of their contracts apparantly so were hugely devalued by the decisions Woolwich made when either selling them earlier or tying them down to longer deals when they still had peak years ahead of them.

16 of the players they sold were sold after they moved into their new stadium, with only Anelka, Overmars & Petit moving before they moved to the Emirates and with Oxlade-Chamberlain being the only one to be sold after all their loans had been paid off it seems (I remember reading somewhere that their debts got paid off in 2016 or something).

I'm not sure how well or much of player sales got reinvested for new arrivals but the fact they had to let so many top class players go for next to nothing with 12 months or less left on their deals shows how vital it is for us that Levy keeps getting all of our stars signed up long term. I get the feeling that this is a key reason why we've seen the club offer extensions so quickly after players signed previous deals, which seems to be a common trend with well performing players of ours. Reward the players, give them what they deserve and in doing so protect the club at a very delicate time of growth when all else around you is booming and going a bit berserk financially because of it.

Not sure if this is positive reading or a bit of a smack in the chops whilst you all eat your cereal but either way it could help hush those prick gooners that will be giving stick out for not buying anyone this summer. Most of our boys are contractually committed to by our club and transfer inflation is at an all time high compared to back then so there's far less risk of ballsing it up like their gormless lot seem to have done dwindling down superstar contracts. The only one we need to secure now is Eriksen. Get him tied down and all of our most prized assets are going to be valued at a genuine premium in today's market as all have at least 4 years left on their current deals at a minimum.

Not all doom and gloom boys and girls, stick the number 19 down their throats if any of them get lary with you today. Our contract extensions seem to be more valuable to us keeping within fighting distance than any new signing would at the moment, it might be wise to brace ourselves for similar over the next couple of years.

You forgot Wilshere.

:troll:

If people are already complaining about this summer window I can't wait for the next few windows where we dont sign anyone as well
We're not just the only team in England to somehow find it impossible to sign a player to improve their team, we're the only major club in Europe.
How you can not understand why so many of our fans are justifiably feeling betrayed and let down this morning is beyond me.

Agree...

The REASON Kane stepped up was because he was determined as fuck to make sure he made the grade... not because we had other strikers at the club...

The REASON we'd even bought in players like Ade, Soldado, Jannsen and even Llorente was 'cos, until Kane came along, our Youth academy just wasn't producing the calibre of striker needed...

I think the 'proven goalscorer' thing is a bit overrated if I'm honest... Soldado and Llorente were proven, yet just didn't quite fit in with us...

Janssen, let's face it, was a Dutch version of what some feared Kane would be; a 1 season wonder.... and HAD Janssen done well early on, we'd probably be looking at Kane as the 'one who got away' as he was banging them in left right and centre for *Palace/Watford/Southampton

*insert Mid-table PL club here!

Luckily for us, Kane proved otherwise, and Janssen will in all likelihood be moved on.
But one 'hit' Striker out of 3 or 4 misses (Soldado, Jannssen & Llorente + Ade to an extent) just goes to show how hard it is to get that position right!
Not to mention that Ade actually had a good start with us if I remember correctly. He just fizzled out after a while.

It's amazing really, a player has a couple of bad games and people question him, Pochettino gets his line-up or tactics wrong in a big match and again, people are critical, as they should be.

However, our chairman makes an utter fucking pigs ear of the transfer window (which, for all those cooing about how we kept Rose, Toby amd Dembele, isn't over yet) and large swathes of the forum are prepared to embark on the most abject apologetics and revisionism since the death of Stalin.

We're not just the only team in England to somehow find it impossible to sign a player to improve their team, we're the only major club in Europe.
How you can not understand why so many of our fans are justifiably feeling betrayed and let down this morning is beyond me.

Because you use words like ‘betrayed’ absolute hoopla nonsense. You and Bill have absolutely no idea how we’ll go this season - you’re both looking like scorned wives at the moment. You, I understand, but Bill? He’s acting like a 10 year old who’s just had his presents confiscated. Whatever happened to support the team and just get on with it? Yes John, I accept some people are disappointed with the window, but the way you two go on is fucking wearing. Entitled pair of cunts.

I think it's more the fact that anti Levy posts are literally all you make, John. No offence but it gets very boring.

You say you're a spurs fan, and I believe you, but it's very hard to draw that conclusion from your posting history.

We didn't sign anyone, it's disappointing. But that's it. We still have a good squad, a good manager, and a fucking gorgeous looking new 60,000 seater stadium. There's plenty to look forward to.

Most of us try and look at the positives in a situation. You are one of the minority who seem to view everything in negative tinted specs.

That's fine, that's your choice. But then don't be all defensive when people get fed up of your posts.

Ta.

The talk:

The walk:

Njie signed for 10m after 15 Ligue 1 games - Pricthard jettisoned despite tearing up the championship (voted in team of the season) and then not getting a minute of game time.

Nkoudou signed for 12m after a handful of Ligue 1 games whilst Edwards given 10 minutes two seasons ago and never seen again

Sissoko signed for 30m whilst Onomah gets 33 minutes in two years, none of those minutes as the CM. And we also had Winks.

Aurier signed for 25m after KWP spends two years with the first team, gets MOTM on his debut (and subsequently exceeds Aurier's season total assists in his second ever league start at RB).
You're mixing up the time frame though & also dosen't it show that he simply didn't rate some of those players.

Only Aurier signed after the book was written and presumably after he had spoken with Levy. Given we had sold the best RB in the league and only had Tripps as cover (let's not get drawn into the ability of Tripps too much but he was hardly the dynamic FB we had sold, Aurier's acquisition made perfect sense, still does to me now and I actually think KWP is better or at least has far more potential than Tripps - I've made loads of prior posts to support this too but for me at least I still see Tripps as the odd one out, I'll change my mind if he repeats his England performances in a Spurs shirt).

I think he simply didn't rate Pritchard, where is he now? What's he done since being sold, fuck all I'd say. Whilst he was impressed with Edwards (as everyone is who's seen him play) it's also as clear as we mortals can tell that there is/are massive issues (mentality/attitude?) with him that are stopping him even getting into Norwich's team.

Sissoko I'd agree with and have said the same myself, but what's to say that this is an example that he exactly is referring to, was Sissoko a Levy buy? Probably was, so fast forward 2 seasons and the message has got through hasn't it? We didn't do another Sissoko this window! (there are people in this very forum however that thought the purchase of Sissoko was a fantastic thing, they expressed their joy with their posts, the same that also think that being brave was all about spending money, big money, on any old dross). Winks broke through, so not sure why you've included him at all.

Last edited:
It's amazing really, a player has a couple of bad games and people question him, Pochettino gets his line-up or tactics wrong in a big match and again, people are critical, as they should be.

However, our chairman makes an utter fucking pigs ear of the transfer window (which, for all those cooing about how we kept Rose, Toby amd Dembele, isn't over yet) and large swathes of the forum are prepared to embark on the most abject apologetics and revisionism since the death of Stalin.
You know what I find really frustrating. Its how the apologists only ever compare the two decades of ENIC with the 90s before them.
Its like any history before that didn't exist and 3 European titles, 2 League titles, 8 FA cups and a stack of league cups and community shields never happened. We have to be grateful.

No a pigs ear of a window is selling both your strikers to your rivals and just getting Pav and some useless cunt on loan from United to replace them...I was fucking suicidal after that window...imagine if we had sold Kane and Son to United and Liverpool and got an unproven striker and a kid from the United development team as replacements?

I personally feel it's much easier to get caught up in the emotion of the day when we have a bad game and react negatively in the moment overall tho very few would criticise Poch harshly.

I feel the same about Levy , slightly dissatisfied with this window thought we might get one or two but ultimately pretty happy Poch and Kane were tied up and we've built world class facilities, Levy in the bigger picture has done incredibly well so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because you use words like ‘betrayed’ absolute hoopla nonsense. You and Bill have absolutely no idea how we’ll go this season - you’re both looking like scorned wives at the moment. You, I understand, but Bill? He’s acting like a 10 year old who’s just had his presents confiscated. Whatever happened to support the team and just get on with it? Yes John, I accept some people are disappointed with the window, but the way you two go on is fucking wearing. Entitled pair of cunts.
Morning Joe. Looks like there's a lot of entitled cunts this morning then.
Did you read the open letter from the trust? Pretty much word for word what ive been saying. Our whole fan base must be a bunch of entitled cunts. Apart from you and a handful of others on here of course

You know what I find really frustrating. Its how the apologists only ever compare the two decades of ENIC with the 90s before them.
Its like any history before that didn't exist and 3 European titles, 2 League titles, 8 FA cups and a stack of league cups and community shields never happened. We have to be grateful.

What regime do you want in Charge tho John ?

large swathes of the forum are prepared to embark on the most abject apologetics and revisionism since the death of Stalin.

Grow up you great big baby. Death of Stalin? Because we didn’t sign a player? You’re off on one mate. Fuck’s sake. I know you don’t half fancy yourself, but you’re a bit of a cunt Madrista Billy Boy. A clingy whiny ex-pat Spurs cunt.

I empathize with those who are unhappy but the level of unhappiness and scale of uproar that are too much. It'd have been nice to have signed another exciting CM and perhaps a young striker to nurture.

But come on, look at our squad. It's strong and pretty balanced. Multiple strong options all over the place basically with more youth coming through hopefully this year than last.

We look a more settled and cohesive core of 13/14 players than some of our key competitors. I fully expect our new stadium to give the boys a lift too.

Bias aside, I honestly believe we'll finish in the top four and if we do so with another gem from the youth set coming through, perhaps another quality signing in January (like Moura), it's hardly bad. Again, I empathize, but the scale of protest isn't I don't think looking at the positives, of which there are many.

I can guarantee that within a couple of weeks of the season starting, loads of fans of the teams that 'won the window' will be slagging off many of those new players & wondering what the fuck they wasted their money on.

What regime do you want in Charge tho John ?
Impossible question to answer. How the fuck can anyone know who is out there and how much ENIC would be wiiling to sell for.
I think it's more the fact that anti Levy posts are literally all you make, John. No offence but it gets very boring.

You say you're a spurs fan, and I believe you, but it's very hard to draw that conclusion from your posting history.

We didn't sign anyone, it's disappointing. But that's it. We still have a good squad, a good manager, and a fucking gorgeous looking new 60,000 seater stadium. There's plenty to look forward to.

Most of us try and look at the positives in a situation. You are one of the minority who seem to view everything in negative tinted specs.

That's fine, that's your choice. But then don't be all defensive when people get fed up of your posts.

Ta.
Fuck You pal

Come Saturday, I'll be supporting the team every bit as much as you and everyone else will, despite bellends like Sammy claiming they are on a higher Tottenhamist plane than others. I suppose we'll have people trotting out the lie that I "secretly want Spurs to lose", which is akin to the "Go and support Arsen*l/City/Liverpool" or "You're a plastic" lines of wit and wisdom.

In short, not thinking that the transfer window was a balls-up doesn't gve you or anyone else any superiority, moral or otherwise, over me or anybody holding similar opinions (which I'd guess would be +75% of our fans).

In the meantime I will be as critical as I fucking please. If you think that makes me "entitled", then so be it.

And as I say, it's a bit rich of you, who throughout the life of this thread, has discussed whether Player A, B,C or D might improve us, that we need to be patient, chill Levy's got this, right up to yesterday, to suddenly get with the programme and say how its all actually fine - if it was such a bwilliant plan, why weren't any of you lauding it earlier?

Back
Top Bottom