Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb

I actually think most decisions Levy has made regarding management have been good ones.
Very much disagree.

Poch has worked out spectacularly well, and is 10/10 so far. I count as poor or meh almost all the other interventions or managerial decisions he's made since taking over. With the exception of getting Harry in (panic buy if ever there was one), I'd say they've all been poor.

Firing Raincoat 2 weeks before FA semi (Jeez, even if we win the final, you can still fire him in the Summer, you know the fans hate him);
Not firing Hoddle at the end of his 2nd season, the last half of which had been an absolute shit show. Clear to everyone he'd completely lost it;
Relying on a caretaker, Pleat, for almost the whole of the next season;
Santini FFS. 6 months to identify someone, and he lasts 6 weeks (?) ;
Ramos - no experience in the PL. Complete gamble on someone whose success in Spain was massively down to a brilliant DoF with outstanding scouting ability. Due diligence should have picked this up;
Harry - don't fire someone unless you KNOW you've got someone better lined up. We didn't. I don't care whether he "deserved" to go for taking his eye off the ball. Talk about cutting off noses to spite. Ergo keep him another season surely and take that year to identify someone better for the long term;
AVB - a disaster in the PL before us. Typical Levy signing - cheap as no fee to be paid (Chavs paid up his contact in full, £13m I gather);
Tictacs TImmy - actually did OK for most of the season. But again, it sacked off the season because he's not a long term option.

Levy's got some major pluses - steady financials; great training ground; brand new stadium (fingers crossed); he's backed alot of the managers with transfer funds. But the manager is the 2nd most important person at the club. It's Levy's job to get it right and 80% of the time his judgement has been really poor.

Morning Joe. Looks like there's a lot of entitled cunts this morning then.
Did you read the open letter from the trust? Pretty much word for word what ive been saying. Our whole fan base must be a bunch of entitled cunts. Apart from you and a handful of others on here of course
Nah, I chose not to participate yesterday. The Trust’s pathetic letter left me cold however. They don’t represent me. I got the impression they’d drunk too much cheap wine at one of their silly cheese and wine do’s, and one one of their members fainted. Was that you?

Morning Joe. Looks like there's a lot of entitled cunts this morning then.
Did you read the open letter from the trust? Pretty much word for word what ive been saying. Our whole fan base must be a bunch of entitled cunts. Apart from you and a handful of others on here of course
It's just that Joe and the others are the REAL fans. Just get behind the club unconditionally, John. That's what a real fan does

You know what I find really frustrating. Its how the apologists only ever compare the two decades of ENIC with the 90s before them.
Its like any history before that didn't exist and 3 European titles, 2 League titles, 8 FA cups and a stack of league cups and community shields never happened. We have to be grateful.
The previous ownership is the only comparable period due to us only having two owners during the premiership era.

And to add some balance, we also got relegated (4 times since 1908)before and came close acouple of times under sugar.only once have I thought it possible under enic. And we we finished, if memory serves, about 8 the that year

Last edited:
Trying to picture JT as a member of the supporter's trust board in a meeting with Levy...him fending off questions about Joe's yacht...

Frankly, it's a relief that the transfer window is closed now. Very happy we kept the core together, and hopefully Toby can turn around and sign a new contact, but not holding my breath.

Very curious to see how we play this season. The players all know each other (even the ones that were on loan last season as they've had a full preseason with Poch), and I've got the feeling we'll be a whole lot closer to challenging for the title than most people do.

All in all, fuck the transfer window, bring on the football. Audere est Facere!

It's amazing really, a player has a couple of bad games and people question him, Pochettino gets his line-up or tactics wrong in a big match and again, people are critical, as they should be.

However, our chairman makes an utter fucking pigs ear of the transfer window (which, for all those cooing about how we kept Rose, Toby amd Dembele, isn't over yet) and large swathes of the forum are prepared to embark on the most abject apologetics and revisionism since the death of Stalin.

1.When a player has a bad game, _some people_ question him, others defend him. When Poch gets his lineup or tactics wrong, _some people_ criticize him, others defend him.

2. Mistakes made by players or the manager are more visible. We know what we see. With transfers, it's all speculation. We do not know who, if any, they were really gunning for, nor do we know why negotiations failed.

3. When mistakes are made by players or the manager, most of us rarely screams "Kane Out!" or "Pochettino Out!" (some cunts do, but they should be disregarded, ridiculed and/or argued against). Likewise, although some may agree that Levy may have made mistakes in a transfer window, we may argue against the Levy-Out brigade, because, Like Kane and Pochettino, we know that his overall contribution to the club is and has been brilliant.

Grow up you great big baby. Death of Stalin? Because we didn’t sign a player? You’re off on one mate. Fuck’s sake. I know you don’t half fancy yourself, but you’re a bit of a cunt Madrista Billy Boy. A clingy whiny ex-pat Spurs cunt.
If you're going to cunt me off at least try to get it fucking right.

the most abject (...) revisionism since the death of Stalin

Because, you know, the death of Stalin ushered in a period of revisionism. It was exaggeration for comic effect, but hey, I'm glad it got under your skin.

As for the rest of your random abuse for having a different opinion, as John says, they are shared by the Trust are they "entitled cunts" as well?

Not sure what a "Madrista" is, are you suggesting I support Real Madrid because that's who I live closest to? Do you support the team you are geographically closest to Joe?

Righto Bill. And if we lose?

I'll be gutted, it'll ruin my weekend. Like you will be. Sorry if you expect me to crow on here about how it makes me right and you wrong, you'll be sadly disappointed

Very interesting and on point article.
We have people defending no signings why exactly?

No doubt this statement from the trust would make a select few go crimson with rage at such sensible sentiments.

I think it is more that some of us are pragmatic about the situation. I am not defending it & i was disappointed but, unlike many posters, i have not yet felt the urge to call the Samaritans. Some of the Levy haters are predicting failure of apocalyptic proportions, some of us are a bit more 'que sera sera'.

One good thing to come out of this Transfer Window; my Ignore List is positively brimming. :levywhoa:
No I keep them on board for a balanced view of the Spurs fan spectrum....and the comedy value...it's also fun checking their agrees just to see if anyone else agrees with them thats not in the moaners union...

Very much disagree.

Poch has worked out spectacularly well, and is 10/10 so far. I count as poor or meh almost all the other interventions or managerial decisions he's made since taking over. With the exception of getting Harry in (panic buy if ever there was one), I'd say they've all been poor.

Firing Raincoat 2 weeks before FA semi (Jeez, even if we win the final, you can still fire him in the Summer, you know the fans hate him);
Not firing Hoddle at the end of his 2nd season, the last half of which had been an absolute shit show. Clear to everyone he'd completely lost it;
Relying on a caretaker, Pleat, for almost the whole of the next season;
Santini FFS. 6 months to identify someone, and he lasts 6 weeks (?) ;
Ramos - no experience in the PL. Complete gamble on someone whose success in Spain was massively down to a brilliant DoF with outstanding scouting ability. Due diligence should have picked this up;
Harry - don't fire someone unless you KNOW you've got someone better lined up. We didn't. I don't care whether he "deserved" to go for taking his eye off the ball. Talk about cutting off noses to spite. Ergo keep him another season surely and take that year to identify someone better for the long term;
AVB - a disaster in the PL before us. Typical Levy signing - cheap as no fee to be paid (Chavs paid up his contact in full, £13m I gather);
Tictacs TImmy - actually did OK for most of the season. But again, it sacked off the season because he's not a long term option.

Levy's got some major pluses - steady financials; great training ground; brand new stadium (fingers crossed); he's backed alot of the managers with transfer funds. But the manager is the 2nd most important person at the club. It's Levy's job to get it right and 80% of the time his judgement has been really poor.

Very valid points and I'd like to message back in more detail but jumping into work soon so limited in my time.

Whenever we've hired a manager I've always believed the calibre identified was good and worth a gamble. Hoddle was the people's choice and whilst Graham shouldn't have been sacked that close to a semi final for the greater good, I don't think it would have made a huge difference as we were big underdogs going into it at the time.

Santini was seen as a coup, it was done before it started who knows that went on there but he didn't exactly go on to have a long prosperous managerial career after us.

Ramos, similar to Santini but maybe his lesson should have been learnt regarding someone who knew the English game and his due diligence should have been done deeper than a recommendation by Damien Comilli.

Redknapp, rectified the foreign errors made, done well with what he had and got a little lucky long the way.

Jol,AVB, Tiny Tim etc, I'll have to come back to you on as I'm darting into the office now

I think it is more that some of us are pragmatic about the situation. I am not defending it & i was disappointed but, unlike many posters, i have not yet felt the urge to call the Samaritans. Some of the Levy haters are predicting failure of apocalyptic proportions, some of us are a bit more 'que sera sera'.
I think we’ll still get top 4. I just can’t fathom that in the whole of Europe (and Sth America) there is not one footballer that would have made us better and we could buy.

Poch gets not a bad silver lining out of this. He gets to trust some youth which we know he enjoys doing. Gets a credible excuse if the season goes tits up (as Levy gave him nothing), and gets lauded if we achieve what many pundits now think we can’t or won’t (top 4).

It's just that Joe and the others are the REAL fans. Just get behind the club unconditionally, John. That's what a real fan does
Yeah you little cunt. I get behind the team unconditionally. You’re a little cunt who bails out before Christmas every year. Nobody takes you seriously as a supporter because you are incapable of support. God forbid you meet a girl and she relies on you. You won’t know what to do.

Top tip. Even if you disagree with her, put your arms round her and cuddle her. Don’t try to interest her with your knowledge about our development squad. Sammy and I won’t give a fuck you Danish freak - it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get to breed - even wearing your stupid horns. You need charm first, and a positive attitude. That’s what women like. You have neither Eeyore.

Back
Top Bottom