Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We don't need any new players, there aren't any new players better than the ones we have, we already have great players, and they're going to get even better. Great transfer window. Well done Levy, well done Pochettino, well done Spurs. We deserve an explanation do we? 1237 pages, ha ha.

:troll:

I will be interested to see how Vinicius Jr goes. Lots of money for a young Brazilian.
They're loading up. The bids for Mpabbe/Neymar/Hazard/Salah/Icardi will come next summer. They'll hibernate for 12 months until they can splash the cash again.

I don't like that we've signed no one as there surely has to have been someone we could have bought. Maybe we needed to act sooner?
But like anything results will dictate the response. If we falter to 5th or 6th then questions of this window can be asked. If top 4 is attained then well done. Some trophy of note and Poch will have been proven right that we can improve organically. Anything below 6th has little bearing on our lack of signings as this squad should not stoop so low.
A trophy isn't a measure of improvement (whilst rare these days for one to be won by a team outside of the top 4), domestic league position & CL position is the defining measure of how good a team is.

Real Madrid is a really intriguing club right now, they bought massively 4,5,6yrs ago and by and large built the team they have had for the past 3yrs, winning 3 back to back CL's in the process, although not delivering a league title is poor for a club with their resources and in a 2 team league (Atleti are still miles behind in the money). So, it is fascinating to see if those kids they have been hoovering up actually make it in to the first team and replace the likes of Ronaldo, Modric, Ramos, Marcello etc... as they move nearer to the end of their effective careers at the top. Or, will they have another period of spending big for number of years building a new team all over again.

I keep hearing things in the press about their finances aren't great but then I've heard this about them for decades too. I suspect they are preparing for a big spend up.(??)

I’m not jealous of a spastic shopping spree like evertons it’s just doomed to fail. As previously mentioned out core A team can beat anyone it’s the bench that’s concerning but “top” players won’t concede to that role anyway. Llorente has to come good his track record is literally world class

The core A team is excellent. We did very well last year in the PL achieved 3rd and fantastic run in the CL. We kept the best XI. No trophy to show last season.

Will we win a trophy this season when every other team in the PL and Europe recruited players to make improvement in their squad?

Didn't the other top 6 pl teams tried to improve by signing players while Spurs stayed put?

The Trust are just trying to justify their influence (or lack thereof) ... remember they were telling us not 6 months ago that the "fans were in uproar" about season ticket prices and "very many wouldn't renew" ... how did that work out? looks like a record number of renewals ... so go figure ...

Then this sentence -

"It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made. We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending"

Well it's not that hard to work out, especially for a group supposedly well informed, the increase revenue from season tickets and match day tickets will bring in an estimated additional 45m this year ... so if 100% were spent on transfers that equals 1.5 Sissokos ... but ... as we've already spent some 35m on new player contracts, with more to be spent on renewing a few others, there's no money left ... so 'curious' people it's pretty bloody obvious what the monies (much of which which have yet to be received) are being spent on ....

If we were to maintain our 51% income-to-salaries ratio we will increase our wages by some 70m this year ... that's far more than the increased capacity and ticket prices will bring .... so there's your answer THST

The new ground will generate substantial funds, but not before it's even finished, have some feckin' patience, we've been on an upward curve for a decade let's see it through ....

Whilst THST do plenty of good things, representing the entire fan base is not always one of them, a small semi-representative cult, is probably a more apt description ....

latest

A trophy isn't a measure of improvement (whilst rare these days for one to be won by a team outside of the top 4), domestic league position & CL position is the defining measure of how good a team is.

Real Madrid is a really intriguing club right now, they bought massively 4,5,6yrs ago and by and large built the team they have had for the past 3yrs, winning 3 back to back CL's in the process, although not delivering a league title is poor for a club with their resources and in a 2 team league (Atleti are still miles behind in the money). So, it is fascinating to see if those kids they have been hoovering up actually make it in to the first team and replace the likes of Ronaldo, Modric, Ramos, Marcello etc... as they move nearer to the end of their effective careers at the top. Or, will they have another period of spending big for number of years building a new team all over again.

I keep hearing things in the press about their finances aren't great but then I've heard this about them for decades too. I suspect they are preparing for a big spend up.(??)
Well at some point we'll have to reach a juncture where we cannot continue to improve whilst continuing to finish inside the top 4, and it'll be seen as plateauing.
At some point we have to see that elusive silverware as the next hurdle to jump.

Of course they will spend big soon. They're starting to age now but none of their top targets were available this summer (so far). If Tuchel can't get PSG close to a CL title then I suspect they'll go after their prized two. Need a ST to replace Benzema the donkey too.

Shit! Does this mean we only have the same players for next season?

That's such a shame because they were so awful last season.

:pochsmirk:

The team is excellent and showed that LAST season in the PL and CL but no trophy to show. We can safely say we can't win the big competitions (as Poch calls them) PL or CL because we stayed put while rivals strengthened. Explains the ambition in this season.

I love that we have all these people here with intimate knowledge of the Levy Pochettino relationship....we should give them their own section of the forum and charge people to read their posts...
If we could set up a cuntoff section and monetize that Case and the gang could quit their dayjobs and go fighting cock full time.

They won it in 2016/2017... I had exactly the same impression until someone set me straight a couple of weeks ago.

Evidently, as an achievement, it barely resonates when they do win it....

Another case for the notion of hollow plastic 'glory'.

Well at some point we'll have to reach a juncture where we cannot continue to improve whilst continuing to finish inside the top 4, and it'll be seen as plateauing.
At some point we have to see that elusive silverware as the next hurdle to jump.

Of course they will spend big soon. They're starting to age now but none of their top targets were available this summer (so far). If Tuchel can't get PSG close to a CL title then I suspect they'll go after their prized two. Need a ST to replace Benzema the donkey too.
We are already at the point where we can win a trophy, we've already reached that point, we are now a regular top 4 side, we've got to x2 FA Cup Semi-Finals and a League Cup final in the last 4 seasons, we are performing to mean in this regard (there can only be 1 winner from the other regular top 4 sides and by and large they have been shared around this group for the past 30yrs, we are now in that group).

The way the market is and how many soon to be leaving, unless their punts on the youth pay off, I'm not sure they have got the money required to spend +£100m on 7 or 8 players. It's way no doubt they are trying to land Poch.

Forget about summer signings, it's over now.

My main worry is if manure don't do well and sack Moaninho. They will be after the guy who wanted signings in May but the club didn't back him. Would you blame him if he leaves? I shiver.

Last edited:
The Trust are just trying to justify their influence (or lack thereof) ... remember they were telling us not 6 months ago that the "fans were in uproar" about season ticket prices and "very many wouldn't renew" ... how did that work out? looks like a record number of renewals ... so go figure ...

Then this sentence -

"It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made. We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending"

Well it's not that hard to work out, especially for a group supposedly well informed, the increase revenue from season tickets and match day tickets will bring in an estimated additional 45m this year ... so if 100% were spent on transfers that equals 1.5 Sissokos ... but ... as we've already spent some 35m on new player contracts, with more to be spent on renewing a few others, there's no money left ... so 'curious' people it's pretty bloody obvious what the monies (much of which which have yet to be received) are being spent on ....

If we were to maintain our 51% income-to-salaries ratio we will increase our wages by some 70m this year ... that's far more than the increased capacity and ticket prices will bring .... so there's your answer THST

The new ground will generate substantial funds, but not before it's even finished, have some feckin' patience, we've been on an upward curve for a decade let's see it through ....

Whilst THST do plenty of good things, representing the entire fan base is not always one of them, a small semi-representative cult, is probably a more apt description ....

Please just fuck and busy yourself celebrating the shits get done dictatorship of Thailand.

I tell you what's a cult its very niche only has 2 members. 'The I told you the 1882 seats were a good idea collective' . Chairman levy and member 00001 BangkokSpud BangkokSpud

Last edited:
We are already at the point where we can win a trophy, we've already reached that point, we are now a regular top 4 side, we've got to x2 FA Cup Semi-Finals and a League Cup final in the last 4 seasons, we are performing to mean in this regard (there can only be 1 winner from the other regular top 4 sides and by and large they have been shared around this group for the past 30yrs, we are now in that group).

The way the market is and how many soon to be leaving, unless their punts on the youth pay off, I'm not sure they have got the money required to spend +£100m on 7 or 8 players. It's way no doubt they are trying to land Poch.

Something disconcerting about all that when you consider "here's an academy full of the worlds best kids; they're yours to mold; we'll back you head to head against Barca" is just about the best sales pitch one could present to Poch.

Question:
£30m spent on Sissoko...
or £0 not spent on anyone...
which WOULD you prefer?

Answer. Sissoko on a free?!!
Comments like these deflect from the fact that the board had all summer and failed to bring in anyone. Let alone failed to get anybody to leave on a transfer/loan. They should be held accountable for that. Anytime you are relying on the last day of the transfer deadline day for business is usually a bad sign.

Back
Top Bottom