Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair point, but its something I've noticed in other managers. It's pretty evident that Guardiola absolutely loves himself, and thinks he's pretty fucking shit hot with the old English, but his messages often come across as garbled nonsense. Klopp too, to a lesser extent. Even Mourinho.
I'd say there isn't any miss interpretation though. There may be hypocrisy, which some may view as contradiction but when they say stuff I think they are all pretty clear in what the message is, there certainly isn't this ridiculous debates about what was meant by it. Book says one thing, press conference says another, some people see it this way, others that way.

Also, as much as I can't stand the bloke, Klopp is far more comfortable and confident than Poch with the media. Only a few weeks ago when defending comments he made about Liverpools spending and what he has said previously about spending, rather than digging a hole for himself, he made a joke about how much bullshit he speaks. That was a fucking brilliant response to be fair, defused it instantly, saved himself getting tied up in knots, made everyone laugh and that was the end of that.

Last edited:
That 41% came from an Woolwich blog ... here's the real figures ....

28%2BChelsea%2BWages%2Bto%2BTurnover%2BLeague%2B2016.jpg

With our serious increase in revenue last year and with the projected further serious increase in revenue this year we will be able to increase wages spend significantly whilst maintaining our 51% number ....

Note our 51% represents 150m .... Man Utd's 45% represents 300m .... that's the 'gap' we need to close ....
That's correct for the seasons shown but, for 16/17*, it was 41.5% (£306m revenue and £127m wages).

* see Note 3: Operating Expenses - Staff Costs, pg17

Something disconcerting about all that when you consider "here's an academy full of the worlds best kids; they're yours to mold; we'll back you head to head against Barca" is just about the best sales pitch one could present to Poch.
It’s the only concern I have in this whole scenario. Said it throughout the window that I was chilled out, & that remains true. I just hope that Poch and Levy remain on the same wavelength. But when Madrid come knocking, it’s hard to resist. And it may not be hard at all if you aren’t seeing eye to eye with the chairman 100%.

I think there is a lot of truth to that from a fan p.o.v, but I see press releases/conferences as just that; Poch 'dealing' with the press, reluctantly feeding them scraps and sound-bites. If anything, I think vagueness and innocuous phrasing is a strategy of his... He's not directly addressing the fans at any times apart from the times he specifically makes it known (a la "I tell the fans... Stay calm. STAY CALM.").

My position won't change that, predominantly, the fans mugged themselves off over #Brave.

Did you have any other situations in mind, cos ou and I have been pitching a very similar argument all summer.

Either way a little press training is no major undertaking if Poch/Levy deem it necessary.
If his message was good there would be no debate about what he's saying. No matter the ear of the person listening to him and what view they got from it, if it is interpreted differently by two separate people then it's been delivered poorly. We have a situation where a group of people say he meant x and another group that say he meant y. WHat's to say that both of these groups are wrong and in fact he meant z?

His way of defusing it was something along the lines of "how you interpret what I said is up to you". Well that's clears it up then, not.

I love the bloke, but he's an absolutely shit communicator. If he was any good there would be no confusion, no arguments about interpretation. I have no problem with him holding on to the fact that his English is still poor, he attempted to do this at the beginning of his PR conference yesterday, there is no shame in saying I'm sorry I'm shit at this and admit that maybe his comments have been miss-interpreted, but that should be followed with a new communication to attempt to address this, e.g an in house video or a written statement to support his words.

If there is confusion then it's been poorly delivered.

It’s the only concern I have in this whole scenario. Said it throughout the window that I was chilled out, & that remains true. I just hope that Poch and Levy remain on the same wavelength. But when Madrid come knocking, it’s hard to resist. And it may not be hard at all if you aren’t seeing eye to eye with the chairman 100%.

I agree. I don't have any deeper concerns specifically relating to this window though.

I was really only responding to the the prospect of a change of culture at RM. How likely that is? in truth I have no idea.

Out of the mouths of wives

My Mrs is watching the news where they made a big thing of Tottenham not signing any new players to which she said 'you don't need any new players, you've got Harry Kane'.

When you know, you know
How funny - the something similar happened to me yesterday evening.

I was on the phone to my mum, who's in her late-70s, and she heard my eldest son moaning in the background to his Chelsea-supporting mate that we hadn't signed anyone. "Tell him to stop complaining," she said, "they still have Harry Kane and Hugo Lorries (sic)."!

Take a bow mum! :bow:

Last edited:
I'd say there isn't any miss interpretation though. There may be hypocrisy, which some may view as contradiction but when they say stuff I think they are all pretty clear in what the message is, there certainly isn't this ridiculous debates about what was meant by it. Book says one thing, press conference says another, some people see it this way, others that way.

Also, as much as I can't stand the bloke, Klopp is far more comfortable and confident than Poch with the media. Only a few weeks ago when defending comments he made about Liverpools spending and what he has said previously about spending, rather than digging a hole for himself, he made a joke about how much bullshit he speaks. That was a fucking brilliant response to be fair, defused it instantly, saved himself getting tied up in knots, made everyone laugh and that was the end of that.

Fuck Klopp, the bloke's a cunt.

Poch oozes class from every pore. Fuck the media they spin everything to suit heir agenda. More fool you for buying into their tripe.

I agree. I don't have any deeper concerns specifically relating to this window though.

I was really only responding to the the prospect of a change of culture at RM. How likely that is? in truth I have no idea.
A shift in their culture of just buying all the worlds best players to developing the worlds best youngsters is every top managers dream. And for someone like Poch, it’s utopia.

If his message was good there would be no debate about what he's saying. No matter the ear of the person listening to him and what view they got from it, if it is interpreted differently by two separate people then it's been delivered poorly. We have a situation where a group of people say he meant x and another group that say he meant y. WHat's to say that both of these groups are wrong and in fact he meant z?

His way of defusing it was something along the lines of "how you interpret what I said is up to you". Well that's clears it up then, not.

I love the bloke, but he's an absolutely shit communicator. If he was any good there would be no confusion, no arguments about interpretation. I have no problem with him holding on to the fact that his English is still poor, he attempted to do this at the beginning of his PR conference yesterday, there is no shame in saying I'm sorry I'm shit at this and admit that maybe his comments have been miss-interpreted, but that should be followed with a new communication to attempt to address this, e.g an in house video or a written statement to support his words.

If there is confusion then it's been poorly delivered.

I accept all that, but harking back to what I said about 'pressers are for the press'... I think he's learned pretty well to minimise their shit stirring; particularly over the course of last season. Look how little we were fucked with by the tabloids this summer too... A few flakey rumours like Tripps to RM, but nothing for anyone balanced to get riled by.

Countless times last year he was celebrated for saying exactly the right thing and cutting their meddling off at the legs. Even today they and pundits alike are too distracted by Fulham or Maurino's shit-fest to make much more than a passing quip about Spurs.

If we're winning that battle, I'll suffer the tears of the "Brave" = warchest melts a little longer.

Last edited:
Yet you support Australia now you turncoat :llorishuh:
Its a question of if you have not experienced it why open your gob about it?
I am a dual citizen, living in one of the best countries in the world, of course I am going to demonstrate a certain level of support and allegiance for it. When or if Brexit happens then you may understand what I mean.
I value both countries and look forward to having a few pints at the end of the year and watching some football in the new stadium, your welcome to have a pint with me and I promise I will take the Akubra off !

How funny - the something similar happened to me yesterday evening.

I was on the phone to my mum, who's in her late-70s, and she heard my eldest son moaning in the background to his Chelsea-supporting mate that we hadn't signed anyone. "Tell him not to stop complaining," she said, "they still have Harry Kane and Hugo Lorries (sic)."!

Take a bow mum! :bow:

We need your mum on this forum... Get to work. :sonpoint:

EDIT: Lol... Imagine the difference in this place if everyone was on "mum" behaviour. :dembelelol:

I very much doubt you could afford the rail fare to whl let alone the price of a ticket you pound shop krankee.

Mr & Mrs Tough to you!

Maggot

Rail fare no problem as I have Seniors card

Enjoy your evening hiding from the Multi

Back
Top Bottom