Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kind of got the feeling it was one maybe two of their board's personal views. Whilst I acknowledge that this view is clearly shared by many, I don't think it was representative of the trusts members. I say this because I follow the Trust's board members on Twitter and that statement doesn't reflect half of what their own board members say openly, in fact it's the complete opposite view point to some.

I applaud the work of the THST (I've come from a position of slagging them of too) and they receive a ridiculous amount of stick from non-members, which is ironic (which is what I used to be). But there are times that I feel THST can be a soapbox for two of their loudest voices, namely Martin Cloake and Kat (both very decent people I might add). I don't know if this is accurate or not but it is nonetheless a perception I hold.

I just don't think it's in their remit to criticise any footballing matters - you start to go down the road where the fans pick the team.........let's face it, even if we think we could do a half decent job we don't have all of the information available to us.

Inevitably, perhaps, a lot of discontented fans after no additions to our squad - I must admit I had been expecting up to say 3 new players joining us, but as we know none came in.

1. First, might be worthy reading Manchester United veto José Mourinho’s transfer wishlist on how Man U (who only signed one decent player, Fred from Shakhtar, despite having an extra £100m allocated to bring in a decent CB or two).

I suspect some of the rationale ManU applied also applies to Spurs.

2. Secondly like any good business, Spurs would have agreed objectives for the Transfer Window between Poch and Levy. A credible set of objectives might have been :

- We have a decent first X1 and reasonable depth, so sell nobody on this list of (lets say) 18 players.

- Alderweireld has been agitating for a move. If he can be sold for a good price and a good quality CB can be bought, do the deal. If not we need to make up and preferably agree a new deal with him - otherwise he may leave for £25, next summer.

- Rose (as Alderweireld but for a LB)

- Dembele is no longer the player he was and is seeking a contract in a less physical leave. If we can bring in a good replacement we should let him leave.

- Striker rotation is difficult. If the opportunity arises to acquire Martial (or similar quality AM/strikers ), take them, if not we will be reliant on Son, Llorente and maybe Dele to come in if Kane is not available.

- Home Grown players - We need to bring through more of our youth, and will do so, starting in pre-season as many WC players will not be available, but if a top Home Grown player becomes available playing in a position we can accommodate we should endeavour to do a deal, Jack Grealish with Villa in financial trouble is a target.

- Overseas Trained players. We have an excess of 3 for UEFA purposes and 1 for PL purposes, so will need to sell at least one Overseas player who will otherwise be on the wage bill without being played.

.So if those were the objectives, the reality is that (for differing reasons) Alderweireld, Rose and Dembele did not leave and therefore there were no incoming, whilst new Villa owners were unwilling to sell Grealish even with the FFP problem they still have and other PL clubs all loaded with money were unwilling to sell any Home Grown players. Spurs might want (eg Bournemouth's Cooke).

So by meeting those objectives we bought nobody - we didn't sell anybody and had no room to bring in anybody to replace them, and the most likely incomes, Grealish, wasn't for sale by Villa's new owners in the last week or so of the TW.

Viewed like that the lack of change is totally understandable.

Yeah think it was mainly down to us unable to move people along to make room for new players which probably forced our hand into

Yeah think it was mainly down to us unable to move people along to make room for new players which probably forced our hand into

Combination of that and sky high prices, which is why many other clubs didn't buy any top players - many of the other players bought this TW would not be contenders for our first team, so we didn't need them. Liverpool spending a fortune again being the exception, but there buying over the last few years has not been that great

Kind of got the feeling it was one maybe two of their board's personal views. Whilst I acknowledge that this view is clearly shared by many, I don't think it was representative of the trusts members. I say this because I follow the Trust's board members on Twitter and that statement doesn't reflect half of what their own board members say openly, in fact it's the complete opposite view point to some.

I applaud the work of the THST (I've come from a position of slagging them of too) and they receive a ridiculous amount of stick from non-members, which is ironic (which is what I used to be). But there are times that I feel THST can be a soapbox for two of their loudest voices, namely Martin Cloake and Kat (both very decent people I might add). I don't know if this is accurate or not but it is nonetheless a perception I hold.

That's very informative ... despite some of my negative posts on the Trust the fact that they exist, and clearly communicate with our club, can only be for the good .... I've often wondered why they sometimes come out with 'extreme' positions that are clearly not a reflection of the majority of fans ... 'soap-box for the loudest' is an easily understood concept, and explains why so much common sense sometimes goes a bit loopy .... so it's not a cult it just has some big egos in positions of power .... fair enough but no more open letters for the BBC to drool over please .....

I completely agree with that. But I'd say that is more to do with him as a man, it's his persona. He doesn't do mind games, he doesn't slag off the oppo, he never speaks badly of the officials. He's economical with laying any blame on non-Tottenham things. And I think he's good when talking about football, namely what was good or bad about a performance.

But if there exists confusion, which the is, then this is entirely down to him had how it was communicated. No one else has spoken on the matter, only him.

Again, I don't disagree, but i fear we're veering towards micro-critique (given my general attitude that Poch wasn't there primarily to speak to me anyway). Always gonna be a little rough with your smooth...

I mean look at Pep; he may be the greatest manager in the galaxy (tm), but look the way he trys to 'coach' other teams players... He's like a footy equivalent of a sex pest... Look at the way he dresses too even...As kid that's exactly what they told me a sex pest would actually look like.

Ode to Poch:

Last edited:
I just don't think it's in their remit to criticise any footballing matters - you start to go down the road where the fans pick the team.........let's face it, even if we think we could do a half decent job we don't have all of the information available to us.
Agree.

Reading it, it certainly has an underlying agenda, hinged to the ticket prices for the new stadium for instance.

I remember Levy questioning the substainability of the current trend of paying a king's ransom for every player last year or the year before , maybe he feels he'll find more value in future transfer windows , we certainly found better value in January when we snared Moura after all the other clubs done their bollocks in the summer window.

Again, I don't disagree, but i fear we're veering towards micro-critique (given my general attitude that Poch wasn't there primarily to speak to me anyway). Always gonna be a little rough with your smooth...

I mean look at Pep; he may be the greatest manager in the galaxy (tm), but look the way he trys to 'coach' other teams players... He's like a footy equivalent of a sex pest... Look at the way he dresses too even...As kid that's exactly what they told me a sex pest would actually look like.

Ode to Poch:

Meh, I wouldn't call it a micro-critique. I think it's been nothing but a cluster fuck from the last game of the season, right to this point today. The arguments around the interpretations are evidence of this, which have now manifested themselves into this transfer window. So many mixed messages to be found from his book, to each of his three or 4 last president conferences, to Cullen's words in the press during pre-season. All over the the fucking shopped all fuelling the rants and counter rants.

I'm Audere.

You're fickle mate, don't try to deny it. Just accept it is what you are.
Just keep doing what your best at then!
200w.gif

It' on the first page of the BBC sport website - it's adding unnecessary pressure.

It's okay to be dissappointed / pissed off with the situation, but they don't need to pour petrol on the bonfire.

I didn't know this... Regrettable from my point of view, but I still hold slim hope that given the extent of righteous indignation so typical of social media that a sense of vindication can foster a 'soothing' effect in the longer term.

That's very informative ... despite some of my negative posts on the Trust the fact that they exist, and clearly communicate with our club, can only be for the good .... I've often wondered why they sometimes come out with 'extreme' positions that are clearly not a reflection of the majority of fans ... 'soap-box for the loudest' is an easily understood concept, and explains why so much common sense sometimes goes a bit loopy .... so it's not a cult it just has some big egos in positions of power .... fair enough but no more open letters for the BBC to drool over please .....
The biggest problem they have is they represent their members (who are Spurs fans), they don't represent Spurs fans who are not members (although the members might well be an accurate reflection of the wider fanbase, who knows).

I used to slag them off all the time, I thought they never represented me, then it dawned on me if I joined then I could input what I thought, so that's what I did. I know not all what they put forward I'm going to go with but I also am aware that they do go with the majority which I'm fine with. The other thing to be aware of is I'd argue that 80% (complete guess) joined when at peak frustration, I know I did and I've yet to met anyone who's a member to prove me wrong on this. If things are great then their membership is down, if things are shit then frustrated people sign up so they can air their frustrations.

I think that at least all ST members should be given the option (Y/N) to join at the point of buying your ST, same too in theory for every membership sold. Then there is no issue about the collective fans having a voice. It will also be such an important platform for Spurs to accept an elected member of the Trust onto the board at The Club itself. But currently the THST has what 10k members, which is less than 0.5% of a +3m fanbase and approx 15% of those that will be going to WHL.

Back
Top Bottom