Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its a question of if you have not experienced it why open your gob about it?
I am a dual citizen, living in one of the best countries in the world, of course I am going to demonstrate a certain level of support and allegiance for it. When or if Brexit happens then you may understand what I mean.
I value both countries and look forward to having a few pints at the end of the year and watching some football in the new stadium, your welcome to have a pint with me and I promise I will take the Akubra off !
You can support who you want. My issue with you is that you now constantly shit on the English team. The country you were born and raised in. I'm embarrassed for you.

A shift in their culture of just buying all the worlds best players to developing the worlds best youngsters is every top managers dream. And for someone like Poch, it’s utopia.

Their long-standing 'Galacticos or death' policy keeps me warmer at night on this front... And re: Kane(*) for that matter...

(*I think that cunt club would eat him alive. Look at Bale... He arrived with much more of an ego and the fanfare of 'hottest' player in the world - an accolade that is likely to evade Harry unless they start giving Ballon D'ors to #9s without tattoos or stupid hair - yet has had a very bumpy 4 years in many respects and is only now finally getting a true chance to stake a claim to be the player he joined to be).

Last edited:
I accept all that, but harking back to what I said about 'pressers are for the press'... I think he's learned pretty well to minimise their shit stirring; particularly over the course of last season. Look how little we were fucked with my the tabloids this summer too... A few flakey rumours like Tripps to RM, but nothing for anyone balanced to get riled by.

Countless times last year he was celebrated for saying exactly the right thing and cutting their meddling off at the legs. Even today they and pundits alike are too distracted by Fulham or Maurino's shit-fest to make much more than a passing quip about Spurs.

If we're winning that battle, I'll suffer the tears of the "Brave" = warchest melts a little longer.
I completely agree with that. But I'd say that is more to do with him as a man, it's his persona. He doesn't do mind games, he doesn't slag off the oppo, he never speaks badly of the officials. He's economical with laying any blame on non-Tottenham things. And I think he's good when talking about football, namely what was good or bad about a performance.

But if there exists confusion, which the is, then this is entirely down to him had how it was communicated. No one else has spoken on the matter, only him.

You can support who you want. My issue with you is that you now constantly shit on the English team. The country you were born and raised in. I'm embarrassed for you.
Don't be embarrassed for me I embarrass myself enough every day at work as it is.
I don't shit on English team I supported them in the World Cup and I was proud of what they achieved.
What you need to do is get back on your perch and not worry so much about others loyalties.
I love my Spurs team, I have seen them win cup finals as a kid, and that is all that matters.
So you can take your issue and :dembelefingers:

Fuck Klopp, the bloke's a cunt.

Poch oozes class from every pore. Fuck the media they spin everything to suit heir agenda. More fool you for buying into their tripe.
Absolutely NOTHING to do with the media. We've all heard him speak his words directly, yet the fanbase is totally split on what he meant. That's a fact, thousands of posts in this forum is testament to this fact.

He is class, I haven't said he's not. I've said he's shit at communicating his message. If he was good at it there would be no divide in his interpretation of his words would there?

It's amazing really, a player has a couple of bad games and people question him, Pochettino gets his line-up or tactics wrong in a big match and again, people are critical, as they should be.

However, our chairman makes an utter fucking pigs ear of the transfer window (which, for all those cooing about how we kept Rose, Toby amd Dembele, isn't over yet) and large swathes of the forum are prepared to embark on the most abject apologetics and revisionism since the death of Stalin.
Some do seem to worship levy as if they are in a cult and hes their leader.

Don't be embarrassed for me I embarrass myself enough every day at work as it is.
I don't shit on English team I supported them in the World Cup and I was proud of what they achieved.
What you need to do is get back on your perch and not worry so much about others loyalties.
I love my Spurs team, I have seen them win cup finals as a kid, and that is all that matters.
So you can take your issue and :dembelefingers:
I will do. Just so long as we both know and accept that you are fickle.

Whatever you say mate. Not long ago you were the most negative, boring cunt on here. Always whinging just like sammy. I support the club, but I don't unconditionally support every decision that it makes

Me, negative? Give over. Spursdem was right, you just lie when you’re in a corner, and you don’t support the club - that notion is ridiculous. We go a goal down and you go out hendstrikking or whatever you freaks do. You couldn’t support a matchstick dog.

The Trust really don't help matters imo

I think the letter was a (maybe hasty?) break from their own usual protocol in an effort to quell the further swelling social/media psuedo-crisis...

Depending what camp you occupy you may have found it a bit awkward/cringy (I did), but I'm prepared to assume the club actually welcomed it for it's potenial to "chill everyone the fuck out".

- Melts feel vindicated (even though they've had their answers in advance via Poch yesterday).
- THST seen to reprazent the disgruntled
- Those that care to can move on and hopefully we won't enter the season so divided.

All theoretical of course, but it may be more of a play for 'peace' than it first appears.

The Trust really don't help matters imo
Kind of got the feeling it was one maybe two of their board's personal views. Whilst I acknowledge that this view is clearly shared by many, I don't think it was representative of the trusts members. I say this because I follow the Trust's board members on Twitter and that statement doesn't reflect half of what their own board members say openly, in fact it's the complete opposite view point to some.

I applaud the work of the THST (I've come from a position of slagging them of too) and they receive a ridiculous amount of stick from non-members, which is ironic (which is what I used to be). But there are times that I feel THST can be a soapbox for two of their loudest voices, namely Martin Cloake and Kat (both very decent people I might add). I don't know if this is accurate or not but it is nonetheless a perception I hold.

Damn, after an admittedly disappointing transfer window looks like we're stuck with the French world cup winning captain, the world cup golden boot winner, 9 world cup semi-finalists, the Asian international player of the year, the 4 time Danish footballer of the year and the best youth academy in English football... again damn!

For fuck sake Levy.
Not so sure about the best youth academy bit but otherwise a good call

I think the letter was a (maybe hasty?) break from their own usual protocol in an effort to quell the further swelling social/media psuedo-crisis...

Depending what camp you occupy you may have found it a bit awkward/cringy (I did), but I'm prepared to assume the club actually welcomed it for it's potenial to "chill everyone the fuck out".

- Melts feel vindicated (even though they've had their answers in advance via Poch yesterday).
- THST seen to reprazent the disgruntled
- Those that care to can move on and hopefully we won't enter the season so divided.

All theoretical of course, but it may be more of a play for 'peace' than it first appears.

It' on the first page of the BBC sport website - it's adding unnecessary pressure.

It's okay to be dissappointed / pissed off with the situation, but they don't need to pour petrol on the bonfire.

Inevitably, perhaps, a lot of discontented fans after no additions to our squad - I must admit I had been expecting up to say 3 new players joining us, but as we know none came in.

1. First, might be worthy reading Manchester United veto José Mourinho’s transfer wishlist on how Man U (who only signed one decent player, Fred from Shakhtar, despite having an extra £100m allocated to bring in a decent CB or two).

I suspect some of the rationale ManU applied also applies to Spurs.

2. Secondly like any good business, Spurs would have agreed objectives for the Transfer Window between Poch and Levy. A credible set of objectives might have been :

- We have a decent first X1 and reasonable depth, so sell nobody on this list of (lets say) 18 players.

- Alderweireld has been agitating for a move. If he can be sold for a good price and a good quality CB can be bought, do the deal. If not we need to make up and preferably agree a new deal with him - otherwise he may leave for £25, next summer.

- Rose (as Alderweireld but for a LB)

- Dembele is no longer the player he was and is seeking a contract in a less physical leave. If we can bring in a good replacement we should let him leave.

- Striker rotation is difficult. If the opportunity arises to acquire Martial (or similar quality AM/strikers ), take them, if not we will be reliant on Son, Llorente and maybe Dele to come in if Kane is not available.

- Home Grown players - We need to bring through more of our youth, and will do so, starting in pre-season as many WC players will not be available, but if a top Home Grown player becomes available playing in a position we can accommodate we should endeavour to do a deal, Jack Grealish with Villa in financial trouble is a target.

- Overseas Trained players. We have an excess of 3 for UEFA purposes and 1 for PL purposes, so will need to sell at least one Overseas player who will otherwise be on the wage bill without being played.

.So if those were the objectives, the reality is that (for differing reasons) Alderweireld, Rose and Dembele did not leave and therefore there were no incoming, whilst new Villa owners were unwilling to sell Grealish even with the FFP problem they still have and other PL clubs all loaded with money were unwilling to sell any Home Grown players. Spurs might want (eg Bournemouth's Cooke).

So by meeting those objectives we bought nobody - we didn't sell anybody and had no room to bring in anybody to replace them, and the most likely incomes, Grealish, wasn't for sale by Villa's new owners in the last week or so of the TW.

Viewed like that the lack of change is totally understandable.

We need your mum on this forum... Get to work. :sonpoint:

EDIT: Lol... Imagine the difference in this place if everyone was on "mum" behaviour. :dembelelol:

Makes sense if you think about it.... We all flock to Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman ... She's a babe and all that, but in truth all we really seek is a little discipline and to be good little boys & Alexas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom