Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its odd that you get accused of arguing for ten pages and repeating the same thing for hundreds of posts, but then when you step back and post two or three times a week, they still try and pick fights and call it "classic sammy".

Leave them to it mate, I told them already they are too wrapped up in this. The guy thinks you cant be enjoying the summer if you spend a few minutes on here every now and then.

LOL, a victim of your own words... I see you're doing your best scouse impression

Bale alone won't make us catch City.

As much as I love Tripps and Davies, we'd need to vastly improve those wingback positions to be up with City.

Not sure changing Eriksen's position after he had the best year of his career is the smartest either.

I honestly do think that with Bale in and Eriksen moved deeper we could take a good chunk more points than we did this year. If it could get us to 87 points, 10 more than in 17/18, that would be fantastic and could put us in a winning position.

No club will catch City if they get 100 points. City will have to drop more points than they did in 17/18, and I think they will.

It seems to me that Eriksen is at least as impactful offensively from a deeper position. He will most likely score fewer goals, but as long as he's replaced offensively by someone who will most likely score far more than him that would be ok.

Alonso, Moses, Walker and Delph are the last two season's league winning full/wing backs. Compared to three out of the four, our Davies and Trippier are fantastic.

I honestly do think that with Bale in and Eriksen moved deeper we could take a good chunk more points than we did this year. If it could get us to 87 points, 10 more than in 17/18, that would be fantastic and could put us in a winning position.

No club will catch City if they get 100 points. City will have to drop more points than they did in 17/18, and I think they will.

It seems to me that Eriksen is at least as impactful offensively from a deeper position. He will most likely score fewer goals, but as long as he's replaced offensively by someone who will most likely score far more than him that would be ok.

Alonso, Moses, Walker and Delph are the last two season's league winning full/wing backs. Compared to three out of the four, our Davies and Trippier are fantastic.
If we were to move anyone back I'd be more inclined to move Dele. That's only if we were to spunk it all on Bale and not buy a CM.

I've always seen Dele as a future CM, once he grows out of his showy side. Too much of a risk currently with his silly flicks that lose possession.

Eriksen next to Dembele is also a bit defensively suspect. But then so is Dele next to Dembele I suppose.

If we were to move anyone back I'd be more inclined to move Dele. That's only if we were to spunk it all on Bale and not buy a CM.

I've always seen Dele as a future CM, once he grows out of his showy side. Too much of a risk currently with his silly flicks that lose possession.

Eriksen next to Dembele is also a bit defensively suspect. But then so is Dele next to Dembele I suppose.

I agree on Dele. Would be great as a running CM. His biggest weakness is taking on defenders, doing anything creative when running the ball in the last third of the pitch. If he’d been pulled back he would face those situations more rarely.

I still think I'd prefer Eriksen as a CM though.

Dele is not a CM and never will be

I agree on Dele. Would be great as a running CM. His biggest weakness is taking on defenders, doing anything creative when running the ball in the last third of the pitch. If he’d been pulled back he would face those situations more rarely.

I still think I'd prefer Eriksen as a CM though.
I think Dele would be the better cm. His overall play is better in that role imo and I'd prefer Christian further forward. I think he'd be a liability in defense and I'd rather he focused his energy offensively

If by some miracle we do sign bale, I would go 4-3-3 and move both dele and eriksen a bit deeper, utilize eriksen in the same way city do de bruyne and play bale and son either side of kane. That side would really strike fear into any opposition.

If by some miracle we do sign bale, I would go 4-3-3 and move both dele and eriksen a bit deeper, utilize eriksen in the same way city do de bruyne and play bale and son either side of kane. That side would really strike fear into any opposition.
------------Dier------------
-----Eriksen---Dele-----
Bale-------------------Son
------------Kane------------

Looks nice. Relying an awful lot on Dier to do all the defensive work. But you're right, teams would shit it.

What I worry about is two players as greedy as Bale and Kane working alongside one another. Bale cutting in and smashing 25 yarders all day is gonna effect Harry I think.

Dele is not a CM and never will be

You do know that he was a CM for Dons? He's got a skillset perfect for a running CM in a 4-3-3, that may be a good fit in a 3-4-3, but that it may be a bit risky to exploit fully in Poch's 4-2-3-1. To get the best out of Alli he needs freedom to move around and he must be allowed to make runs into the box. In Poch's 4-2-3-1, the positioning of the CMs is important to stop counter attacks and to dominate possession.

You do know that he was a CM for Dons? He's got a skillset perfect for a running CM in a 4-3-3, that may be a good fit in a 3-4-3, but that it may be a bit risky to exploit fully in Poch's 4-2-3-1. To get the best out of Alli he needs freedom to move around and he must be allowed to make runs into the box. In Poch's 4-2-3-1, the positioning of the CMs is important to stop counter attacks and to dominate possession.
I don't think his skill set is best utilised in CM, he hardly every tackles these days and loses possession easily at times. His creativity and goal-threat would be wasted there imv

He's just a contrarian when it comes to me.

Everyone knows he was a CM at Dons. As everyone else has said, he's definitely got the skillset to be a CM.

He'd be nice next to a fit and firing Wanyama. But I'm not sure we'll ever see that Wanyama again. Fingers crossed Big Vic can prove me wrong.

------------Dier------------
-----Eriksen---Dele-----
Bale-------------------Son
------------Kane------------

Looks nice. Relying an awful lot on Dier to do all the defensive work. But you're right, teams would shit it.

What I worry about is two players as greedy as Bale and Kane working alongside one another. Bale cutting in and smashing 25 yarders all day is gonna effect Harry I think.

Son equals them on greed. Would need for them to cooperate a bit. If anything, mainly, I would hope for Kane to be less selfish, as I believe he would improve both himself and us as a team if he did. He's shown that he can be great at setting up others. And if he'd change his game to make others better, I think that would really make others do the same.

Last edited:
I don't think his skill set is best utilised in CM, he hardly every tackles these days and loses possession easily at times. His creativity and goal-threat would be wasted there imv

He mainly loses possession in the last third when taking on defenders. I can't remember him doing that too often further back. It's one of the reasons I think he'd benefit from being pulled back a bit.

He mainly loses possession in the last third when taking on defenders. I can't remember him doing that too often further back. It's one of the reasons I think he'd benefit from being pulled back a bit.
I think he'll lose much more than gain if we pull him back, just my 2 cents

Lewandowski's agent has confirmed he's looking to leave Bayern this summer

Chavski bid?

Switch to 4-4-2 anyone?

While I understand at least the latter post was meant as a joke, I'd still like to point out that I would not like to see Lewa nowhere near Spurs. One thing is that we don't need striker, but one more important fact is that he is moody twat. I follow Bayern quite a lot and while he did smash the goal nets in Bundesliga, he was absolute s**t and totally invisible in decisive games... you know, where things really matter. Specially in the last season ofc (but in all fairness, don't recall too many decisive goals outside EPL from him in previous periods as well). Really happy to see him go from Bayern. The club deserves spirited striker.

Back
Top Bottom