Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't get the obsession with Zaha and Martial.

Lamela, Moura, Eriksen, Ali, Son.

It won't be long before one of them gets fed up with lack of game time and asks to leave - and that's just with 5 of them. I personally think our AM has great chemistry and history with each other. They've played with each other for 3-2 years now, with the exception of Moura, and they understand how each other work. Adding a new ingredient to that mix could spoil the entire thing. How often do you hear the word "telepathic" when people talk about our attack? It's no coincidence.

You can't expect players to grow and "have a big year" if they are stifled for game time. Eriksen and Son are getting better every year, Ali is young and has a lot of room to grow, Lamela always seems on the verge of reaching his potential if he can fight off injuries and Moura is an unknown quantity who could pleasantly surprise.

Why would anyone want to spoil their growth with a vanity buy? Good understanding, history and chemistry trumps raw talent and speed. I think our AM is absolutely fine, has a great average age and has great potential.

I can totally see your point!
Our first priorty should be to add dynamism to our midfield.

But regarding those players, I'd really like Martial for the reason already stated - he could be subsitute to Kane when he needs to rest or smth. Ofc we have Son as well, but one has to wonder - we had Son before Llorente was brought in - so this seems to suggest that we still want to have more designated striker / attacker in the squad as well. When presented like this, I'd assume you would agree - in order to be in highest of games, we would need to upgrade on Llorente.

I don't get the obsession with Zaha and Martial.

Lamela, Moura, Eriksen, Ali, Son.

It won't be long before one of them gets fed up with lack of game time and asks to leave - and that's just with 5 of them. I personally think our AM has great chemistry and history with each other. They've played with each other for 3-2 years now, with the exception of Moura, and they understand how each other work. Adding a new ingredient to that mix could spoil the entire thing. How often do you hear the word "telepathic" when people talk about our attack? It's no coincidence.

You can't expect players to grow and "have a big year" if they are stifled for game time. Eriksen and Son are getting better every year, Ali is young and has a lot of room to grow, Lamela always seems on the verge of reaching his potential if he can fight off injuries and Moura is an unknown quantity who could pleasantly surprise.

Why would anyone want to spoil their growth with a vanity buy? Good understanding, history and chemistry trumps raw talent and speed. I think our AM is absolutely fine, has a great average age and has great potential.

The issue we have is those players weren’t able to get us to a trophy last season. They are all brilliant players, but we lack the pace and directness of a Zaha.

Son and Martial are very similar, but we need a back up to Kane.

What we really need is a creative centre mid who can dectiate play like Eriksen but from a deeper role. Kovacic, Shelvey type.

I remember that we all thought we had him in the bag, but we missed the deadline by a few minutes...

Quite impressive that we managed that seeing as we had all fucking summer to sort out a deal!! :levyeyes:
Something to do with him being on a plane around the deadline and a dodgy fax or similar, if I remember correctly?

Embarrassingly, SSN & Jim fucking White had me hook line & sinker that night; literally sat watching it all evening waiting for some news - only to hear we'd missed the boat...

giphy.gif

United have every right to refuse Martial to a premier league club, but if we end up selling those manc fucks Toby, I will be livid!!!! If we can't have Martial, then they can sure as hell fuck off if they want Toby

If we can benefit by selling Toby to United, then we do it.
I know I sound like a broken record, but if Toby going to Man Ure means we can go out and get De Ligt, then IMHO Toby going to Man Ure will have benefitted us more than them.

Alot of negative comments on Martials performance for Utd last night.

"awful"
"cannot cut it upfront"
"not in the game at all"
"doesn't look up for it"

Just some of the comments. Though other comments on the performance say Utd couldn't create much so there's that.

Head turned?

Fairly highly rated Austrian center forward talent. Scored 14 in 26 last season and 3 in 6 for the national setup. Originally from the Alps ( Innsbruck ) and now at the very good Linz academy. Kovacic and Wimmer are two of the higher profile LASK players to go through the youth system in recent years, for example.

Sorry but that's rubbish mate. Son is far superior to Martial. Son does nothing else than run at the oppo the entire time he's on the pitch. From the small amount of minutes given to Lucas than I'd say I've seen more dribbling ability from him than I have in Martial in his entire time at Utd.

If Martial was so good at dribbling then I'm sure the world would have seen him do this at Utd., hell he may well have forced his way into their team and established himself as a regular. (I appreciate an element of what is going on at Utd has to do with Mourinho's dire tactics, but any manager would play a prolific attacking player week in week out if they could deliver that).

Historically I haven't been a fan Zaha, mainly because he's always looked a little bit out of control on the ball but that said, last season he was very good. He was a genuine threat and there appears to have a lot of end product to his game. Bottom line is defenders do not like playing against him, he causes problems. Last year he improved hugely. I thought Hodgeson got him to play in the right areas, whereas previous Managers just said "give it to Zaha" without a plan or pattern of play after that thought.

But the thing is- if Poch would be happy with Son as a backup for Kane then we never would have added Llorente to the squad, had we? What I read from our activity is that Poch wants to have one more "designated" attacker. Llorente clearly did not work out.

And well, actually the world has seen his ability. That's why I do not agree to slightest of your following description
"The number of foreign clubs who can do this is tiny (PSG, Juve, Barca, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Atletico and then of those clubs who needs him, who can give him minutes, will he get in their squad? I'd argue he will not get into RM, Barca, Bayern, Atletico and Juve given who they currently have playing in his position."

For one, I keep some tabs on the Bayern activities and when rumors surfaced that Martial could be available - many fans were really excited and all in for it to materialize, as currently Lewandowski is totally useless against big boys and in all honesty on the wingers positions Bayern has not yet managed to replace Ribery-Robben duo (both of the 34+ yo deals was prolonged). And that is just an example. Okay, he might not walk into Barca and Real side, I can agree on that, but there are still few options for him, I believe.

Regarding this end product issue you mentioned... well you just seem to be very selective.
Zaha 2017/18. 9 goals 5 assists (14 total). CP scored 45 goals. Zaha being 25.
Martial 2015/2016. 11 goals 4 assists (15 total). ManU scored 49 goals. Martial being 19.
Heck - Martial 2017/18 - within 1600 minutes he registred 9 goals and 5 assists (14 in total) - basically the same Zaha managed with 1000 more minutes (though this time for more free-scoring side, I admit).

I remember that we all thought we had him in the bag, but we missed the deadline by a few minutes...

Quite impressive that we managed that seeing as we had all fucking summer to sort out a deal!! :levyeyes:

It happened with Real Madrid & Man U as well with De Gea. The amount of deals that go to the last few days of a window regardless of how prolonged the negotiations have been always have a chance of not making it over the line

But the thing is- if Poch would be happy with Son as a backup for Kane then we never would have added Llorente to the squad, had we? What I read from our activity is that Poch wants to have one more "designated" attacker. Llorente clearly did not work out.

And well, actually the world has seen his ability. That's why I do not agree to slightest of your following description
"The number of foreign clubs who can do this is tiny (PSG, Juve, Barca, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Atletico and then of those clubs who needs him, who can give him minutes, will he get in their squad? I'd argue he will not get into RM, Barca, Bayern, Atletico and Juve given who they currently have playing in his position."

For one, I keep some tabs on the Bayern activities and when rumors surfaced that Martial could be available - many fans were really excited and all in for it to materialize, as currently Lewandowski is totally useless against big boys and in all honesty on the wingers positions Bayern has not yet managed to replace Ribery-Robben duo (both of the 34+ yo deals was prolonged). And that is just an example. Okay, he might not walk into Barca and Real side, I can agree on that, but there are still few options for him, I believe.

Regarding this end product issue you mentioned... well you just seem to be very selective.
Martial 2015/2016. 11 goals 4 assists (15 total). ManU scored 49 goals. Martial being 19.
Heck - Martial 2017/18 - within 1600 minutes he registred 9 goals and 5 assists (14 in total) - basically the same Zaha managed with 1000 more minutes (though this time for more free-scoring side, I admit).

I think Llorente was brought in to be backup to Kane with Son being 3rd choice. Clearly over the season Llorente has fallen behind Son as the 2nd choice option with Llorente sometimes not even making the bench. It happens in football. You could well be right though regarding Bayern, with Ribery & Robben getting older and them only having Kingsley Coman in their ranks, they'll definitely be looking at long term alternatives in those particular areas of the pitch

Zaha is shite in a team who wants to control a match and play on the front foot. NEXT.

Your only evidence of this is a 20 year old who played 2 league games for a poor David Moyes United team. I can understand not wanting to sign the player for performance reasons but there is no fact to back up your point here.

We've only really seen Zaha play for Palace who are not a team who like to play on the front foot and he has not been shite. That's all we can go off when we judge him, his time at united is irrelevant here. He was 20 when he signed for them and got very minimal game time.

If it's your opinion that he will be shite in a team on the front foot, then fair enough. But it's not plain fact.

So just the one club then that you think he will get into (Bayern). Kind of proves my point doesn't it? The pool of clubs he could go to a) actually get in ahead of who is currently playing in his position b) and can afford him is very, very small. (I accept your point on Ribery & Robben and you could add to that Muller, but I'd strongly argue that he's nowhere near the level of Levendouski, Wagner, Coman and Rodriguez. The other thing is what is his position? CF or wide? I hold doubts over any player that has failed to establish a position for themselves (I'm all for players being adaptable e.g. Son has proved he can cover Kane as CF, Lamela too loosely) but just like Wallcott and Oxlaide-Chamberlin when they play wide or central they disappoint regardless.

I'm not comparing Zaha to Martial. I'm saying to me both are not top draw players that's all. Zaha improved massively last year, to a point where I was impressed by him in a number of games. He's clearly a confidence player and he played with a smile on his face last year and his football improved as a result. Martial, might be another confidence player, he looks very unhappy, his body language reflects how he plays. I watch all of Utd's games and if I haven't fallen asleep I fail to see anything exciting from him. This could be a reflection of his team/manager's style but you'd hope to see at least a flicker of something that backs up his hype. Under AVB we played like Utd do, incredibly boring football, Bale still managed to show his talent in the side. (AVB plays his football identically to Mourinho which is why I brought up the analogy, I'm not directly comparing the players but they system they play in and therefore expect to see at least a sparkle of a baller within that system).

Our CF back-up should be looked at totally separately IMO. This is because I've no idea what and who we want. Specifically what style of football does this player bring to us. Llorente's acquisition made perfect sense for a plan b old school CF, enabling us to go direct, putting balls into the box for him to compete for and hopefully score from or for him to be a target and for another player to run off him. But we NEVER played this way when he came on, I don't get why we didn't play to his strengths and instead to what are obviously his weakness's. Because we didn't play direct when he was selected we/he looked shit. So if we wanted to keep our fluid style and possession based football we then put Son in as CF, it worked because of the ability of Son with the ball at his feet.

Grealish, Zaha...

Come on lads. These are not names that are going to bring is to the next level. These are fringe players at best.

Grealish is not a Dele. Good player but again not a player who will improve us.

Not saying we should be targeting world beaters but this is rather disappointing. Window isn’t over but so far it’s pretty shite.

Grealish, Zaha...

Come on lads. These are not names that are going to bring is to the next level. These are fringe players at best.

Grealish is not a Dele. Good player but again not a player who will improve us.

Not saying we should be targeting world beaters but this is rather disappointing. Window isn’t over but so far it’s pretty shite.

Dele, Son, Sanchez, Trippier none of them were household names prior to being linked with us. I look at the window currently and the available talent and I struggle to see where gems that fit our system are. Funny that there's so much money flying about, not necessarily at Spurs, yet there doesn't seem to be many class acts available or on the move. Unless I'm having one of those mornings, who's gone somewhere for the money we'd realistically pay that we would have taken at Spurs?

Last edited:
Not sure if you are joking or serious. My Uncle married an Irish woman when I was young and I had to listen a bit harder when I first met her, but could understand her with ease once I grew accustomed to her accent.

Introduce a chap from Penzance to someone from Tyneside and see how they communicate

Back
Top Bottom