Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can totally see your point!
Our first priorty should be to add dynamism to our midfield.

But regarding those players, I'd really like Martial for the reason already stated - he could be subsitute to Kane when he needs to rest or smth. Ofc we have Son as well, but one has to wonder - we had Son before Llorente was brought in - so this seems to suggest that we still want to have more designated striker / attacker in the squad as well. When presented like this, I'd assume you would agree - in order to be in highest of games, we would need to upgrade on Llorente.
Kane’s not going to miss a lot of games unless injured.
Son will miss a handful.
So, that leaves Martial back in the Man U situation . Fighting for a place with son, Dele Lamela and Moura.
He started 18 times at Man U and wants out because he wasnt playing enough?
Rashford, lingard and lukaku before him.

Unless he just wants a fair crack and is willing to work hard ot get it. What will be different at Spurs?
We have just given Son and Lamela new deals.

Edit. He’s still just 22 so he could have a future as a regular here. Yet he could have that at Man U if they get the right manager.
If he’s so keen on us, why didn’t he sign for us when he could have.
He may have been an established PL star by now.

Last edited:
Alot of negative comments on Martials performance for Utd last night.

"awful"
"cannot cut it upfront"
"not in the game at all"
"doesn't look up for it"

Just some of the comments. Though other comments on the performance say Utd couldn't create much so there's that.

Head turned?

Reviews remind me of Berbatov before he fucked off

What we really need is a creative centre mid who can dectiate play like Eriksen but from a deeper role. Kovacic, Shelvey type.

I'd be happy for us to spend £70mil and sign an amazing CM. Not so happy if we used the same money for an AM.

I highly doubt we'll spend over £40 mil on anyone though, if even that.

So just the one club then that you think he will get into (Bayern). Kind of proves my point doesn't it? The pool of clubs he could go to a) actually get in ahead of who is currently playing in his position b) and can afford him is very, very small. (I accept your point on Ribery & Robben and you could add to that Muller, but I'd strongly argue that he's nowhere near the level of Levendouski, Wagner, Coman and Rodriguez. The other thing is what is his position? CF or wide? I hold doubts over any player that has failed to establish a position for themselves (I'm all for players being adaptable e.g. Son has proved he can cover Kane as CF, Lamela too loosely) but just like Wallcott and Oxlaide-Chamberlin when they play wide or central they disappoint regardless.

I'm not comparing Zaha to Martial. I'm saying to me both are not top draw players that's all. Zaha improved massively last year, to a point where I was impressed by him in a number of games. He's clearly a confidence player and he played with a smile on his face last year and his football improved as a result. Martial, might be another confidence player, he looks very unhappy, his body language reflects how he plays. I watch all of Utd's games and if I haven't fallen asleep I fail to see anything exciting from him. This could be a reflection of his team/manager's style but you'd hope to see at least a flicker of something that backs up his hype. Under AVB we played like Utd do, incredibly boring football, Bale still managed to show his talent in the side. (AVB plays his football identically to Mourinho which is why I brought up the analogy, I'm not directly comparing the players but they system they play in and therefore expect to see at least a sparkle of a baller within that system).

Our CF back-up should be looked at totally separately IMO. This is because I've no idea what and who we want. Specifically what style of football does this player bring to us. Llorente's acquisition made perfect sense for a plan b old school CF, enabling us to go direct, putting balls into the box for him to compete for and hopefully score from or for him to be a target and for another player to run off him. But we NEVER played this way when he came on, I don't get why we didn't play to his strengths and instead to what are obviously his weakness's. Because we didn't play direct when he was selected we/he looked shit. So if we wanted to keep our fluid style and possession based football we then put Son in as CF, it worked because of the ability of Son with the ball at his feet.

Clubs that need/want him- No, my point was to use them as an example. I just don't follow all the teams in the world. So being honest to myself, I could not say who might need him. From very general viewpoint it might look like teams would not need him, while being more into some clubs actions, you might realize smth different. So I believe there would (and actually are) teams out there (in addition to Bayern) who could want him.
I think you just proved the point because -
a) Wagner is... very medicore player. I mean he was just brought in to have someone else there on top of Lewa :D no one (except himself) regards him as top player, and Martial is lightyears ahead of him ;) (seen enough of both in action to say that)
b) James Rodriquez is not even closely competitor for Martial - he plays way deeper than Martial does. One is basically a metronome / orchestrator of the attacking play and other is the one finalizing moves / giving assists.

Martial position - well, he has a position. Maybe you just don't want to see it :) ? He played as a ST in Monaco. And did it really well (earning him huge move from where we were outpriced reportedly). In ManU for the first season he played mainly on the LW position and occasionally in ST. In both of the position he was quite good. Arguably better on the wing (return of 11 goals + 8 assists from 27 games in this position seems to prove it). Well... and then Mourinho happened.
Without a doubt I agree that he is not on top of his game right now. Nor was he at that in last season. He is low in confidence and has not established place in the squad first and foremost (only after that we can talk about his main position on the field). And despite that (!) and his limited playing time (1600 minutes in EPL) his end product was equal to Zaha, who wast the "star of the show" in his team. That is partly why I'd like us to sign Martial - if he delivered that while not being "on top of his game", imagine what he could do playing under Poch and from the shoulder of Kane (who is, let's face it - far superior partner than Lukaku) ;)

CF situation - I partly agree with you. But I see question being "why did we even sign Llorente" rather then why we never played on his strenghts. I've read Poch book. I've watched his interviews and how the teams play under him - he has his philosophy, and I just feel he will never resort to lot of crosses and long ball upfield. Ofc I might be wrong but this is my impression. So we'd need a versatile forward player which Martial is in my books (this is arguable). He is technical, but not lighting fast. He has really good shot on him whenever having room. He has a great footballing brain. Though he does not have quite equal physical power to Kane. So there are some differences but I could see him fitting into our plan better than options tried until now (Jannsen, Llorente) and also diffrerent from using Son/Lamela/Alli on top.

Your only evidence of this is a 20 year old who played 2 league games for a poor David Moyes United team. I can understand not wanting to sign the player for performance reasons but there is no fact to back up your point here.

We've only really seen Zaha play for Palace who are not a team who like to play on the front foot and he has not been shite. That's all we can go off when we judge him, his time at united is irrelevant here. He was 20 when he signed for them and got very minimal game time.

If it's your opinion that he will be shite in a team on the front foot, then fair enough. But it's not plain fact.

Yes it’s my opinion, apologies if it came across as fact. Although as my opinion being the Oracle and all maybe it is.

Scrolling through the VillaTalk thread on Jack Grealish, I came across a quote which absolutely made my day.

"Why the f*ck would he think he can learn more from Pochettino than Bruce?"

Depends whether he's looking to play football or drive buses

gettyimages-962727828.jpg

Kane’s not going to miss a lot of games unless injured.
Son will miss a handful.
So, that leaves Martial back in the Man U situation . Fighting for a place with son, Dele Lamela and Moura.
He started 18 times at Man U and wants out because he wasnt playing enough?
Rashford, lingard and lukaku before him.

Unless he just wants a fair crack and is willing to work hard ot get it. What will be different at Spurs?
We have just given Son and Lamela new deals.

Edit. He’s still just 22 so he could have a future as a regular here. Yet he could have that at Man U if they get the right manager.
If he’s so keen on us, why didn’t he sign for us when he could have.
He may have been an established PL star by now.

Yea, but what if Kane gets injured? Ofc we all hope it wont happen but it might.
Ofc he has to do the fighting for place here as well. No one argues that. But Poch enjoys working with young and upcoming talents. While Mourinho... goes and buys Sanchez. I think this is one of the differences.

And if he was to join, I could totally see us either -
a) having Kane, Martial and Son all together on the field while playing against very defencive teams
b) altering the tactics to 5-2-3 that we currently could not, given we don't have players working well in this formation

also, who is said he is keen on us?
I don't believe that too much - I am just saying that I believe it would be potentially good move for us :) .

In fairness, Dele wasn't a Dele when we signed him.

And you could say the same about Trippier, Rose, Kane, Son etc

They all improved massively under Poch’s coaching as would Grealish
So if Poch wants him then we should get him

We literally have Josh Onomah already, the same Josh onomah who outshone Lewis Cook in basically every England youth match that they played together, including at the u20 world cup. It seriously makes no fucking sense. Use our own players ffs

Back
Top Bottom