Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing to keep in mind though, a thin squad supplemented by youth players is an easier, simpler problem to fix than a full sized squad with a bunch of senior players who aren't good enough. A bunch of average players on Top 6 wages would be tough to move out and would still cost a bunch of money.

Agreed. We signed Capoue and Soldado only to eventually replace them with Mason and Kane, who we already had.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

He had an excellent month and a bit, no one would disagree. He was brilliant in the first leg against Juve (average in the second leg) . He also had games where many on here were questioning whether Dembele is done as a performer. At times it just seemed he was behind play, too slow in his reactions.

He was excellent ALL season 15/16. Genuinely the best central midfielder in the league that year. 100%.

If you're giving me the choice of:

Keeping Dembele in hope he can adapt to a new formation he looks average in, in the hope he has an excellent MONTH out of 9, only to leave us on a free at the end of the season.

Or

Selling an ageing player who I feel is past his absolute best with Poch reinvesting in the squad.

I'd take the second option everytime. Of course its very very likely that no one is interested in Dembele and we keep him an extra year. Nothing wrong with that but I'd hope Poch still stick to whatever his plan was this coming season.

My point wasnt over retaining the player or not ( I’m happy either way). My issue is with any attempt to justify his departure by stating that he wasn’t the same player as 2015/16 when after coming back from his injury he almost certainly was.

He had an excellent month and a bit, no one would disagree. He was brilliant in the first leg against Juve (average in the second leg) . He also had games where many on here were questioning whether Dembele is done as a performer. At times it just seemed he was behind play, too slow in his reactions.

He was excellent ALL season 15/16. Genuinely the best central midfielder in the league that year. 100%.

If you're giving me the choice of:

Keeping Dembele in hope he can adapt to a new formation he looks average in, in the hope he has an excellent MONTH out of 9, only to leave us on a free at the end of the season.

Or

Selling an ageing player who I feel is past his absolute best with Poch reinvesting in the squad.

I'd take the second option everytime. Of course its very very likely that no one is interested in Dembele and we keep him an extra year. Nothing wrong with that but I'd hope Poch still stick to whatever his plan was this coming season.
Month and a bit? That's just not true.
I would keep Dembele for another year. I don't see us reinvesting that money this summer. Imagine if we sell him... Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko + possible Jack Grealish. In what world is better to sell him now?

Totally totally agree. All I'm saying is that plugging those holes with guys who aren't up to the standard of those they're replacing takes today's problem and makes it tomorrow's problem.

Alfie Mawson being 85% as good as Toby Alderweireld isn't an obvious mistake you can fix in January, Juan Foyth being forced into action too early in his development is.

I wouldn't ever expect Mawson to be as good as Toby. But he's a young CB who's shown plenty of promise and at £15m looks extremely good value in this market. He's proven at PL level (unlike Foyth) and would give us the option to play 3 CBs if we wanted to. I fail to see how we can ever really play 5 at the back this season if we don't sign a CB. We could maybe use Dier at CB but with Dembele potentially going, we look pretty thin at CM as well.

Month and a bit? That's just not true.
I would keep Dembele for another year. I don't see us reinvesting that money this summer. Imagine if we sell him... Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko + possible Jack Grealish. In what world is better to sell him now?

WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING 433 IN PRE SEASON.

If he leaves we have Dier, Wanyama, Eriksen, Dele, Winks, Grealish, Sissoko for central midfield. With potentially Amos, Onomah and Skipp as alternatives.

That's more than enough.

Whoever leaves, surely it needs to be a quality player coming in to replace them.

I’m very pro youth development and integration into the first team, however it needs to be exactly that, slow integration.

To me our first team squad should be that, with youth players given opportunities when first team players are injured or severely out of form. Then they are given opportunities to shine and stake a claim for being in the first team squad on a more regular basis.

Being thrusted in because we haven’t bought replacements is uneccessary pressure and gambling - if they don’t turn in to world beaters, we have nowhere to turn and all of a sudden top 4 football could well slip away.

In short, replace what we sell with proven players - we’re the 3rd team in the country based on last season, we cannot gamble on going backwards this season

If he leaves we have Dier, Wanyama, Eriksen, Dele, Winks, Grealish, Sissoko for central midfield. With potentially Amos, Onomah and Skipp as alternatives.

That's more than enough.
Yes, and we didn't have our England players. What's your formation then? You think Poch is gonna play 4-3-3 with Dele/Eriksen as CM?

Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Sissoko + Grealish isn't good enough for major things (as winning trophey or progress in the CL).

Yes, and we didn't have our England players. What's your formation then? You think Poch is gonna play 4-3-3 with Dele/Eriksen as CM?

Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Sissoko + Grealish isn't good enough for major things (as winning trophey or progress in the CL).

Not sure why not having our WC players would make a difference. You use pre season to build your fitness and try new things. It's been a success. No doubt we'll do the same against Girona.

Yes he will play Eriksen and Dele in CM. Why not? He's played them both there before. I'd hazard a guess at times he may attempt Dele on the left in a 433 to allow Winks game time. But beyond that, those two have everything needed for a 433 to succeed.

Choosing between a fit Dier and Wanyama is the headache.

That's more than enough.
Except that two of those players are better used further up the pitch, two are injury prone and one is dogshit

Not sure why not having our WC players would make a difference. You use pre season to build your fitness and try new things. It's been a success. No doubt we'll do the same against Girona.

Yes he will play Eriksen and Dele in CM. Why not? He's played them both there before. I'd hazard a guess at times he may attempt Dele on the left in a 433 to allow Winks game time. But beyond that, those two have everything needed for a 433 to succeed.

Choosing between a fit Dier and Wanyama is the headache.

Well you could argue that we have two defensive midfielders in our squad and neither have been available for the majority of pre-season. Maybe Poch went with 3 midfielders to cover this fact? We can't know for sure what he'd have done if we'd had Wanyama and Dier available for the 3 pre season matches so far.

I think you're over-drawing conclusions from this.

Why would you take Dier and Eriksen out of roles which they were seemingly put on this earth to play, just to name two. Who would be better deployed in a 433? Son I will grant you, maybe Davies, who else?

Lucas and Son would 100% be better in a 433. I think Dier and Wanyama would be too. Dier more so, because he's a bit better on the ball.

Eriksen deeper is the dream. He practically plays there anyway, just not on 'paper' - Dele, who played central midfield for most of his professional career, would benefit from the ability break through the lines of defence unmarked to be a killer in the box.

433 also benefits Sissoko in central midfield.

Whilst it isn't the same formation we played against Liverpool. Eriksen and Dele played deeper in that game and it was probably Deles best performance all season

Well you could argue that we have two defensive midfielders in our squad and neither have been available for the majority of pre-season. Maybe Poch went with 3 midfielders to cover this fact? We can't know for sure what he'd have done if we'd had Wanyama and Dier available for the 3 pre season matches so far.

Sissoko and Amos could quite easily have played in central midfield in a 4231. They didn't. Poch decided to play Eriksen deeper. He flourished.

Guess we'll see what we do against Girona. Couldn't make it 4 pre season games, 4 games with 433 could we before going into our first league game with most of these players, who havent played a single 4231 all summer?

Sissoko and Amos could quite easily have played in central midfield in a 4231. They didn't. Poch decided to play Eriksen deeper. He flourished.

Neither Sissoko nor Amos look like DM's to me. Not natural ones anyway. I know Sissoko played there a bit last season but I imagine it was always alongside Wanyama or Dier, a proper DM. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but we can't be 100% sure whether we've properly switched to 4-3-3 until Dier and/or Wanyama are available.

no.gif

Back
Top Bottom