Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you not churning out the same thing to posters when you complain about them having opinions all the time but never offer a counterpoint though?

I think you will find that's not the case if you actually bother to read what I write I have a wide variety of opinions but again, I am in the transfer thread, discussing transfers or in this case, lackof.

The only thing I an repeating myself on at the minute is telling other posters to stop insulting people for having a different opinion to them, that seems to be a common theme in this thread specifically.
its like fucking brexit in here. one side pig ignorant and the other slightly facist.

Am I obliged to take part in your interminably tedious debates, am I?
I come on here hoping to find news that we have signed Sessegnon/LoCelso etc
and all I find is people denigrating the club, manager, transfer policy and declaring end of days because we haven't signed some right back I've never heard of from some Lithuanian League 2 club
If you are not sure what I mean, take part in a conversation with 8 or more people and keep repeating the same point over and over again, for added effect try to sound more and more hysterical with each repetition.
I'm fairly sure that eventually someone will tell you to fuck off.

No, you're not, that's the point I am making, you don't have to respond to anything or debate anything, you can do as you please, I just don't see the benefit of you constantly calling other posters whiners, or negative, for someone who wants things to be so positive all the time why are you always bringing negativity in the way you speak to others?

It's a transfer thread, people are going to have opinions you disagree with, if you can't offer a counterpoint to their arguments why not just hit the disagree button and move on instead of trying to silence them with insults which add literally nothing towards the discussion related to transfers?

Again, most people are not denigrating the club or players or manager, quite the opposite actually, many of us want more signings because we love the club, we want the players to stay and we want the manager to stay and be backed, we also want the club to have more success on and off the pitch.

Nobody is saying "This is a shit football club, I fucking hate the players, hate the manager, hate Levy, hate ENIC, we are shit, we're going to get relegated" but I think that's how you read these posts? It certainly seems that way.

I don't think it's unfair criticism to suggest we need more signings mate, you might disagree with that and that's fair enough but I can only speak for myself when I say it's a great time to be a supporter of this club and I am happy regardless what happens but that doesn't mean I don't want more for us, if that is me denigrating the club in your eyes then so be it.

Last edited:
A year away from top flight football wont help him.

I'm not sure even that would stand to hurt his cause that badly.... I mean, even a problem child like Balotelli finds someone to pay him a wedge even though he's a serial fuck up that burns through clubs at a rate of 1 or more per season.

its like fucking brexit in here. one side pig ignorant and the other slightly facist.
giphy.gif

And then the people in the middle wishing for some intelligent discussion and healthy debate only to be insulted by both sides and called a centrist coward LOL.
i think its virtually impossible to sit in the middle. say the slightest thing pro/against either argument and you're slated as an apologist. God forbid there could ever be a middle ground.

"I think Levy is a good businessman and chairman and we are in a great place as a football club on and off the pitch"

and

"I think if the transfer window ends like this it will be a poor window which could end up really hurting us going forward as a club" can both be valid opinions for a person to hold you know and both are just opinions that are completely subjective.

Although I would argue with anyone who thinks Levy is a shit businessman, we wouldn't be where we are on the amount of money we have spent compared to other clubs if he was shit.

However, he also has flaws and is a human and I think he's making a massive mistake that will backfire on him if this is the only business we do.

I am genuinely surprised at the amount of people who want Eriksen gone, we should be keeping him and giving him competition so he has a reason to fight for his place and stay competitive (which also shows him he isn't bigger than this club) that way we aren't weakening ourselves.

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the hill, Eriksen has been one of our most productive players for years and whilst I don't like the way he dealt with things at all, I would rather him be playing for us than us scrambling around last minute for a replacement that isn't guaranteed to offer his sort of production.

Hell, even LO Celso could be a complete flop, that's why you don't sell your best players before you get an opportunity to see if a possible replacement is good enough, you give them competition then naturally translation the role to the new player if they are good enough.

In an ideal world, most would rather he didn't want to leave and was committed.... Save for very few exceptions, any notion of "sell him and move on" is driven by his apparent desire to leave and a case of caring for the greater good of the club, not a lack of appreciation for the ability the player brings to the table (nor a lack of desire for Spurs to be the best they can be).

Sadly, we don't live in an ideal world.

Also, it's inevitable he'll have to be replaced eventually (much like e.g. Rose). At some point we'll all have to get behind the idea of a replacement; so doesn't our evident interest in Lo Celso & Sessengon represent a reasonable attempt at doing so?

What a fuck up. Eriksen should have been sold by now, not running his contract down. Why are ENIC allowing so many contracts to expire next summer, perhaps there is some accounting trick they will employ ? Very odd.

Very rarely do we allow contracts to run down but you can't force the players to sign.

At the same time, you can't force sales - we were all told that the clause in Toby's contract meant we were losing him. Teams would be fighting each other to get him for £25 million. How did that work out?

I am genuinely surprised at the amount of people who want Eriksen gone, we should be keeping him and giving him competition so he has a reason to fight for his place and stay competitive (which also shows him he isn't bigger than this club) that way we aren't weakening ourselves.

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the hill, Eriksen has been one of our most productive players for years and whilst I don't like the way he dealt with things at all, I would rather him be playing for us than us scrambling around last minute for a replacement that isn't guaranteed to offer his sort of production.

Hell, even LO Celso could be a complete flop, that's why you don't sell your best players before you get an opportunity to see if a possible replacement is good enough, you give them competition then naturally translation the role to the new player if they are good enough.
It's more a case of not wanting to be held over a barrel ,than want him gone.
How would you feel if he put in an half arsed approach this season and then buggered of next summer for nish? I would respect him if he was honest about his intentions and played like he meant it.
Maybe he will and will go out on high.Here's hoping.

Lol. If we're "determined not to fail" then the answer is simple. Pay.

We ALL know that won't happen, which by default, means we really are not at all determined in any way shape or form.
I think we will pay because we have to if poch is to be backed and the supply of top class talent to fill the void we need is drying up, more and more I'm coming around to the idea of him joining I think he could be mustard for us and after the other night it looks like eriksen has lost interest in us.

Back
Top Bottom