Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best way is to tell him he won't get much game time and see how he reacts.

Sign a new deal or find a new club. If you don't do either, expect to find your career limited for the next 12 months.
I think Pochettino is on the same page here, he’s targeted Eriksens long term replacement in that La Cellos guy months ago, but Levy won’t spend the kind of money needed while Eriksen’s situation is still in limbo. (And let’s be honest here, he is not signing a new contract at this point)
If that fucking transfer had been done around the time of Ndombele, and Eriksen point blank told “you ain’t first choice anymore” (a total bluff call) especially with Son undroppable, Moura now deserving more game time, Winks fit again, Lamela fit again, Dier fit again (sort off), Sissoko playing well, young Skipp defiantly in my plans, Ndombele added, La Cellos added.....Eriksen may have got his finger out of his arse and set his bar lower than Real or Barca.....
Now Eriksen’s situation has created several problems.
Levy is transfer shy again.
Eriksen will leave on a free.
Pochettino will spend this season using a player who will leave at the end of it, instead of shaping a new signing for the long term, and may also have to waist most of next summer searching for that player as well, and it’s an international summer with the Euros, so another very short pre season (that’s why he’s pissed)
And worst of all, the media will be a constant pain in the arse all season about where Eriksen is going.

I’d bench the fucker all season to be honest, let’s begin life without him a season early and make an example of him....we are not Woolwich, we don’t let players run down contracts🙄

It's more a case of not wanting to be held over a barrel ,than want him gone.
How would you feel if he put in an half arsed approach this season and then buggered of next summer for nish? I would respect him if he was honest about his intentions and played like he meant it.
Maybe he will and will go out on high.Here's hoping.

If he's not planning on staying then he needs to go now.

I'd love him to stay and have an amazing season with us and 'go out on a high'.

Reality is that any below par performance will result in massive amounts of vitriol. He's been too good for us for it to end that way. Get a fee and wish him all the best.

i'm not one to get drawn into over simplifying things like the "just pay it" brigade; however.....

if we're £10m short on this Lo Celso chap, then even if we just let eriksen go for for as little as £20m we can pay the extra £10m and we're in a better situation than losing eriksen for fuck all right? or does that smack too much like getting his pants pulled down for Levy to consider?

In an ideal world, most would rather he didn't want to leave and was committed.... Save for very few exceptions, any notion of "sell him and move on" is driven by his apparent desire to leave and a case of caring for the greater good of the club, not a lack of appreciation for the ability the player brings to the table (nor a lack of desire for Spurs to be the best they can be).

Sadly, we don't live in an ideal world.

Also, it's inevitable he'll have to be replaced eventually (much like e.g. Rose). At some point we'll all have to get behind the idea of a replacement; so doesn't our evident interest in Lo Celso & Sessengon represent a reasonable attempt at doing so?

I understand that completely mate, I do, we don't want a player who isn't giving his all week in week out and someone who isn't commited, I get that I really do.

The problem is though we have a week left to sign a player as a replacement and to sell Eriksen, whoever comes in, even LO Celso, isn't a guarantee to be better than Eriksen, even an uncommitted Eriksen that only gives 50%, it's a huge gamble to remove a player whom we know has great quality on his day and replace him with an unknown quantity with no preseason and no PL experience.

That's why I think it's best if we keep Eriksen and buy a ready made replacement and let them compete for the spot in the squad, that being said, we also need Eriksen to sign a new contract.

Maybe the best option would be to give Eriksen a two year deal and let him prove that he wants to be here and fight for his place? That way he can't leave on a free but we also bring in LO Celso to compete with him?

I doubt Eriksen would go for that though, sadly we are now in a position in football where players hold all the cards.

Also, yes, our interest in LO Celso does show we are looking for a replacement and the same with Sess/Rose but that's all it is for now mate, interest, until the deals are done that's all it will remain as being, once they are done (which I think they will be, I am optimistic about it) then I will say it's a great bit of business like with Ndombele.

But I do think it's important we keep Eriksen to transition and make ourselves stronger with competition all over the squad.

That being said, if LO Celso does come in and Eriksen then gets sold it wouldn't be an absolute disaster (unless of course LO Celso turns out to be a flop, which could be the case for any player I suppose) I just think it's a risk we shouldn't take.

The club should have left Eriksen out of the friendlies and made it clear that if he won't sign then go as he publicly wanted to.
Tell Eriksen if you run your contract down then you are no longer first choice and on the bench for most of the season. The club has to plan for the future w/o Eriksen and bring a replacement in this window.

I understand that completely mate, I do, we don't want a player who isn't giving his all week in week out and someone who isn't commited, I get that I really do.

The problem is though we have a week left to sign a player as a replacement to sell Eriksen, whoever comes in, even LO Celso, isn't a guarantee to be better than Eriksen, even an uncommitted Eriksen that only gives 50%, it's a huge gamble to remove a player whom we know has great quality on his day and replace him with an unknown quantity with no preseason and no PL experience.

That's why I think it's best if we keep Eriksen and buy a ready made replacement and let them compete for the spot in the squad, that being said, we also need Eriksen to sign a new contract.

Maybe the best option would be to give Eriksen a two year deal and let him prove that he wants to be here and fight for his place? That way he can't leave on a free but we also bring in LO Celso to compete with him?

I doubt Eriksen would go for that though, sadly we are now in a position in football where players hold all the cards.

Also, yes, our interest in LO Celso does show we are looking for a replacement and the same with Sess/Rose but that's all it is for now mate, interest, until the deals are done that's all it will remain as being, once they are done (which I think they will be, I am optimistic about it) then I will say it's a great bit of business like with Ndombele.

But I do think it's important we keep Eriksen to transition and make ourselves stronger with competition all over the squad.

That being said, if LO Celso does come in and Eriksen then gets sold it wouldn't be an absolute disaster (unless of course LO Celso turns out to be a flop, which could be the case for any player I suppose) I just think it's a risk we shouldn't take.

Classic I_U.... Starting the essay with "I understand..." then proceeding to discard everything said and return to narrative.... If you already understood everything I just posted, then why the diatribe about "I can't understand why fans don't want to keep CE.... blah blah".

I wasn't asking you to celebrate signings that haven't happened yet either.

Look, I want the same net outcome as you... i.e. A better squad, but all your comments amount to is "buy guaranteed upgrade NOW" as for the Nth time, Eriksen holds all the cards here. Any notion of him signing a new deal relies on him wanting to be here; we can't manufacture that scenario.... I thought you "understood" this???? ....It appears you don't actually want us to sign Lo Celso anyway cos he's "unproven". ....Who should we sign then? ...At what price? (Both rhetrocical questions, don't feel obliged to answer them.)

p.s. You're no middling "centrist" in this TW shit-fest.

Last edited:
We give them Wanyama and 30 million for Brooks.
Wanyama would never pass a medical. His knees are shot and he will never be a starter in a top league again.

Should have been obvious he wasn't going to last long if you looked at how long he's been playing for... made his debut for the NT at '14' in 2006 or 7.

Back
Top Bottom