Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You could well be onto something, Kessie is a really muscular specimen. On the one hand the PL demands a bit of robustness, but the relentlessness of it does require stamina too, especially in CM's and FB's and wirey buggers possibly do have an edge long term. EG Kanté.

Heavy units can survive, but as things move faster and less contact, the diet must be more perfect the more of a person there is to support.

Think this was what did for Vinnie Janssen, respiratory acidosis/lymph insufficiency, due to carrying high muscle, and, not understanding to explain to the coaches you cannot match the sprint numbers of other players...

Think Alli has struggled (relatively, in dynamism) since gaining some extra upper body muscle last summer/autumn (hope he drops it this summer). Before he was that perfect Poch blend of size and athleticism (Vieira type), with low enough muscle mass to carry elite numbers for the high velocity sprints.

All just my mindset. Technically Kessie looks fine, just keep him on the high reps and low weights if he likes the Gym.

Heavy units can survive, but as things move faster and less contact, the diet must be more perfect the more of a person there is to support.

Think this was what did for Vinnie Janssen, respiratory acidosis/lymph insufficiency, due to carrying high muscle, and, not understanding to explain to the coaches you cannot match the sprint numbers of other players...

Think Alli has struggled (relatively, in dynamism) since gaining some extra upper body muscle last summer/autumn (hope he drops it this summer). Before he was that perfect Poch blend of size and athleticism (Vieira type), with low enough muscle mass to carry elite numbers for the high velocity sprints.

All just my mindset. Technically Kessie looks fine, just keep him on the high reps and low weights if he likes the Gym.

Surely that's down to a coach/fitness team to dictate, rather than the player?

Not sure I've seen him play, but like the look of NDombele more physiologically.

If you carry high muscle, in a slower league, fine. Come to the prem, under Poch, you might flourish a season or two (Wanyama), but that Lactic Acid is gonna sit in your huge muscle set and have you carrying around fermenting sugars (getting infections and injuries... Dier... Wanyama...).

What is this bullshit bro science you are talking about??

'Lactic acid' isn't a cause of pain or injury. Lactate is a fuel source transported to other muscles and organs where it is turned into glycogen to be used to continue exercise. Muscle injuries are caused by acute disruption of tissue as a result of strain and stress, not some "fermenting sugars" hocus pocus. In any case, muscle mass is important for providing an amino acid base to promote recovery from injury and illness.

'Lactic acid' isn't a cause of pain or injury. Lactate is a fuel source transported to other muscles and organs where it is turned into glycogen to be used to continue exercise. Muscle injuries are caused by acute disruption of tissue as a result of strain and stress, not some "fermenting sugars" hocus pocus. In any case, muscle mass is important for providing an amino acid base to promote recovery from injury and illness.

Fuckin' Ave it!!!!

(Was just gonna say as much myself.... :levyeyes:)

Piatek seems fairly prolific.

He is - an absolute talent who started the Serie A season on fire with Genoa before his move to Milan. Banged in 9 goals for Milan soon after his move, but has gone a little quiet since. If he pushes on well he could shape as Milan's next Shevchenko, and Poland's next Lewandowski. No chance Milan let him move on anytime soon, unless forced to given their current issues with FFP but they're more likely to let others go in that regard.

I don't have your knowledge of this stuff but surely Zest Zest has a point, else why are sprinters all big and muscly but distance runners skinny and wiry? Surely that suggests the muscle mass is a hindrance in stamina events?*

*Hope I'm wrong on this because I can't think of too many skinny wiry fuckers right now who are great CM's that we could buy.

Go fucking read Wikipedia or some shit, get this out of the summer transfer thread.

Shit, better yet... here ya go:

Exercise and lactate[edit]
During power exercises such as sprinting, when the rate of demand for energy is high, glucose is broken down and oxidized to pyruvate, and lactate is then produced from the pyruvate faster than the body can process it, causing lactate concentrations to rise. The production of lactate is beneficial for NAD+ regeneration (pyruvate is reduced to lactate while NADH is oxidized to NAD+), which is used up in oxidation of glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate during production of pyruvate from glucose, and this ensures that energy production is maintained and exercise can continue. (During intense exercise, the respiratory chain cannot keep up with the amount of hydrogen ions that join to form NADH, and cannot regenerate NAD+ quickly enough.) In volant animals such as birds and bats, lactic acid may build up in the pectoral muscles.[21]
The resulting lactate can be used in two ways:
However, lactate is continually formed even at rest and during moderate exercise. Some causes of this are metabolism in red blood cells that lack mitochondria, and limitations resulting from the enzyme activity that occurs in muscle fibers having a high glycolytic capacity.[22]
In 2004, Robergs et al. maintained that lactic acidosis during exercise is a "construct" or myth, pointing out that part of the H+ comes from ATP hydrolysis (ATP4− + H2O → ADP3− + HPO2−
4 + H+), and that reducing pyruvate to lactate (pyruvate− + NADH + H+ → lactate− + NAD+) actually consumes H+.[23] Lindinger et al.[24] countered that they had ignored the causative factors of the increase in [H+]. After all, the production of lactate− from a neutral molecule must increase [H+] to maintain electroneutrality. The point of Robergs's paper, however, was that lactate− is produced from pyruvate−, which has the same charge. It is pyruvate−production from neutral glucose that generates H+:
C6H12O6 + 2 NAD+ + 2 ADP3− + 2 HPO2−
2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+ + 2 NADH + 2 ATP4− + 2 H2O
Subsequent lactate− production absorbs these protons:
2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+ + 2 NADH
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
2 + 2 NAD+
Overall:
2 CH
3COCO−
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
2 + 2 NAD+ + 2 ATP4− + 2 H2O
Although the reaction glucose → 2 lactate− + 2 H+ releases two H+ when viewed on its own, the H+ are absorbed in the production of ATP. On the other hand, the absorbed acidity is released during subsequent hydrolysis of ATP: ATP4− + H2O → ADP3− + HPO2−
4 + H+. So once the use of the ATP is included, the overall reaction is
C6H12O6 → 2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+
The generation of CO2 during respiration also causes an increase in

Now fuck off.

Go fucking read Wikipedia or some shit, get this out of the summer transfer thread.

During power exercises such as sprinting, when the rate of demand for energy is high, glucose is broken down and oxidized to pyruvate, and lactate is then produced from the pyruvate faster than the body can process it, causing lactate concentrations to rise. The production of lactate is beneficial for NAD+ regeneration (pyruvate is reduced to lactate while NADH is oxidized to NAD+), which is used up in oxidation of glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate during production of pyruvate from glucose, and this ensures that energy production is maintained and exercise can continue. (During intense exercise, the respiratory chain cannot keep up with the amount of hydrogen ions that join to form NADH, and cannot regenerate NAD+ quickly enough.) In volant animals such as birds and bats, lactic acid may build up in the pectoral muscles.[21]
However, lactate is continually formed even at rest and during moderate exercise. Some causes of this are metabolism in red blood cells that lack mitochondria, and limitations resulting from the enzyme activity that occurs in muscle fibers having a high glycolytic capacity.[22]
In 2004, Robergs et al. maintained that lactic acidosis during exercise is a "construct" or myth, pointing out that part of the H+ comes from ATP hydrolysis (ATP4− + H2O → ADP3− + HPO2−
4 + H+), and that reducing pyruvate to lactate (pyruvate− + NADH + H+ → lactate− + NAD+) actually consumes H+.[23] Lindinger et al.[24] countered that they had ignored the causative factors of the increase in [H+]. After all, the production of lactate− from a neutral molecule must increase [H+] to maintain electroneutrality. The point of Robergs's paper, however, was that lactate− is produced from pyruvate−, which has the same charge. It is pyruvate−production from neutral glucose that generates H+:
2 CH
3COCO−
2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+ + 2 NADH
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
2 + 2 NAD+
Overall:
2 CH
3COCO−
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
Although the reaction glucose → 2 lactate− + 2 H+ releases two H+ when viewed on its own, the H+ are absorbed in the production of ATP. On the other hand, the absorbed acidity is released during subsequent hydrolysis of ATP: ATP4− + H2O → ADP3− + HPO2−
C6H12O6 → 2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+

Now fuck off.
giphy.gif

His predicted XI and bench:

(4-2-3-1) Lloris; Wan-Bissaka, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Rose; Ndombele, Winks; Son, Alli, Eriksen; Kane. Subs: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Dunk, Sissoko, Grealish, Sessegnon, Lucas.

If he’s resigning Sissoko to the bench then we might as well sell him as we know how that works by now, the moose needs to play every week.....I’d think homegrown will dominate this summer with one, maybe two top end signings as the exception, so Grealish may rear some interest again, tho I’d stay clear, and Sessegnon obviously fits the bill too, but another I’d stay clear off......Still thinking Eriksen is off, and who the fuck is Dunk?

2 CH
3COCO−
2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+ + 2 NADH
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
2 + 2 NAD+
Overall:
2 CH
3COCO−
2 CH
3CH(OH)CO−
C6H12O6 → 2 CH
3COCO−
2 + 2 H+

Now fuck off.

From the same article:

Mauricio Pochettino has said his mood is the worst it has ever been during his time at Tottenham, even though the club has made its best ever start to a Premier League campaign.

Spurs are just five points off the top of the table with a game in hand and would move above reigning champions Manchester City if they beat them at Wembley on Monday.

But Pochettino said that he is feeling worse than ever since he has been at the club.

"It's strange because my feeling is the worst feeling I've had in the four a half years that I've been here," he said. "It's the worst, my feeling, but it's the best start ever for the club in the Premier League. It's so strange, no? I think in the past I felt better.

"I don't know why, it's so difficult to explain -- [it's] because of the circumstances, because many things happen, because we're disappointed that we're still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there from the beginning of the season.

"Many things happened in the summer, there are many things that make myself not in my best mood or humour. I know I've always been funny with you and I have a good relationship with you but my feeling is not the best. I had better feelings in previous seasons."

Where does he mention transfers?
He specifically name drops the stadium delay for a start.....and says “I don’t know why, it’s difficult to explain”.

Could be Eriksen and Toby that pissed him off.
Could be anything. Stop reading between the lines and saying every single fucking time Poch opens his mouth, it’s about lack of funds.

The funds were there, he chose not to sign anyone.

I don't have your knowledge of this stuff but surely Zest Zest has a point, else why are sprinters all big and muscly but distance runners skinny and wiry? Surely that suggests the muscle mass is a hindrance in stamina events?*

*Hope I'm wrong on this because I can't think of too many skinny wiry fuckers right now who are great CM's that we could buy.

Sprinters and distance runners are at different ends of a performance spectrum, while footballers are in the middle. They need to be able to be powerful (e.g., sprinting, jumping), but they need to run for 90 minutes. There are some footballers who don't fit the standard mould, but for the most part an athlete's body will adapt to meet the physical demands of their role in a playing system. When a players come in for their medical screening before signing, the sports science team are checking to make sure they are in good enough shape so that they won't shit the bed when thrown into our playing and training system.

Where does he mention transfers?
He specifically name drops the stadium delay for a start.....and says “I don’t know why, it’s difficult to explain”.

Could be Eriksen and Toby that pissed him off.
Could be anything. Stop reading between the lines and saying every single fucking time Poch opens his mouth, it’s about lack of funds.

The funds were there, he chose not to sign anyone.
No, he tried to sign De Jong, he wouldn't come. Very different.

That's why I hope he goes all in for De Ligt this year. Beside Jan or beside Jan and Dav, he would make a phenomenal defence.

No, he tried to sign De Jong, he wouldn't come. Very different.

That's why I hope he goes all in for De Ligt this year. Beside Jan or beside Jan and Dav, he would make a phenomenal defence.

He couldn't get his targets, therefore decided to sign no-one.

...Better?

Back
Top Bottom