Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I also think the key point is being vastly overlooked regarding transfers in & out. People say you can't move forward without buying players yet we've progressed to the final of the biggest club competition in the world.

Yes our league form has been erratic but overall can anyone really say that the vast spending done by the likes of Everton, Chelsea etc has really altered our status in the game domestically? We had some erratic results but up until the Burnley game the squad had shown it could hold its own and was within a couple of points of two teams that arguably have produced the most scintillating title challenge the Premier League has seen in terms of quality.

If our form hadn't dropped so poorly we would have been sitting pretty in third comfortably, our form in the early part of the season suggests so.

Pochettino and the players have developed new skills this season, ones more focused on tact and responsive, reactionary levels and that will only hold us in good stead moving forward. The club took a chance, just like a club does when they do end up signing someone and it seems to have been the correct decision based on league and cup competition results come the end of the season so I don't really see why people still have issue with last summer. It's been, gone and the club were proved right based on the outcome 9 months later. Nothing to see here, in top 4, in the final and have twice as much money for our troubles for doing so as and when we require spending it.

Making the CL final doesn't mean we've progressed in real qualitative terms. You say has the spending of Everton and Chelsea made a difference, well yes it possibly has, Everton were 28 points behind us in 17/18, they were 17 behind us this year, Chelsea were 7 points behind us 17/18, 1 point ahead of us this year.

And you say "until the Burnley game" we were up there, but that left nearly a third of the season left, a final third in which our form was relegation 14 points from 12 game which is absolutely atrocious, and would surely have been better had we not only had Sissoko, fucked Wanyama and Dier to rely on as midfielders for most of that spell?

I'm not advocating we sign players for the sake of it, I rarely get excited by our signings and haven't overly rated much of our transfer business lately, and I would argue we would have been better off also if Poch had made better use of the academy players too, but how anyone can say the decision not to improve the squad was a correct decision or was a "success" is hard to fathom, whether that be better signings or better integration of academy

We have slept walked into needing a bit of an overhaul (Poch has suggested this himself) not just a couple of minor upgrade tweaks. Never a good situation.

Daily mail reporting that West Ham have bid 18 mill for Andre Gomes. They go onto say that we are no longer interested in Gomes and are negotiating instead for Lo Celso

Daily mail reporting that West Ham have bid 18 mill for Andre Gomes. They go onto say that we are no longer interested in Gomes and are negotiating instead for Lo Celso
Why the hell would Gomes want to go from Everton to West Ham? He really must want to get the fuck out of Liverpool.

ManU is done and dusted I feel. their entire system is rotten and they need to replace their entire first XI to stand a chance in the years to come. And De Gea and Pogba have one foot out the door... But its disgusting for De Ligt to prefer a move there though at his age - pure moneygrab
“Disgusting”? Makes it sound personal for you. Maybe that was his dream club as a child? (He’s still practically a child, lol)

I just don’t get so upset when professionals opt for more money. Even when it happens to us. If someone doesn’t want to be Spurs, for whatever reason, we shouldn’t want them. The kid is like 19, even if he takes a huge payday and signs a 5 year deal, he’ll be a free agent at 24-25. It’s not like this would be his last contract.

One player I’ve always loved, and has apparently been made available, is Thiago. I’d imagine every team would want him though if he was was available.

ManU is done and dusted I feel. their entire system is rotten and they need to replace their entire first XI to stand a chance in the years to come. And De Gea and Pogba have one foot out the door... But its disgusting for De Ligt to prefer a move there though at his age - pure moneygrab

Just tells me he lacks ambition, moving to United in their current state is basically saying "I care more about money than winning football games."

That's fine, I wouldn't want a player like that at our club anyway (if that is indeed the case.)

Because he deeemed the squad good enough.
His words....do you know more than whats in his head now?

"It's difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn't sign or sell a player, but sometimes in football you need to behave differently and we're happy with our squad," he said.

"If we cannot improve our squad it's better to keep it together. When it's not possible it's not possible and you have to move on and believe in the way we work and be competitive.

"It's not about adding because it's fashionable. I have no doubt we are going to be competitive, with or without signings."

August 2018

Around the time you was saying our squad was shit and the season is a write off, and Poch was betrayed and Levy is a cunt and should leave the club and we need to spend big like City and Liverpool and the whole top 6 had surpassed us.
And now, all of a sudden, you claim you agreed with the last summer window, and was aware that Poch had money available......hilarious stuff
Bro, fucking read the line I highlighted and tell me what you understand from that

Why the hell would Gomes want to go from Everton to West Ham? He really must want to get the fuck out of Liverpool.

He's still a Barca player tho... Maybe Everton aren't impressed enough to fork out the asking price.

This would certainly re-affirm my suspicions that he's not as good as some feel he has been this year...

He's 26 with 7 years of credible clubs football under his belt. It's not logical to expect much more improvement from him.

...Maybe WH is the poor bastards level?

Pay rise would be the only reason I should think.
He's still a Barca player tho... Maybe Everton aren't impressed enough to fork out the asking price.

This would certainly re-affirm my suspicions that he's not as good as some feel he has been this year...

He's 26 with 7 years of credible clubs football under his belt. It's not logical to expect much more improvement from him.

...Maybe WH is the poor bastards level?
Those are the only logical reasons (money and club that what’s him), but by all reports Everton want to keep him on.

"But it's easy to see in the last few years how we act in the [transfer] market, how we act in everything, and how the other teams were acting. That's the difference.

"Maybe when we arrive to the new stadium in the future we will be in the same project, or we are going to act the same as other teams, like Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Woolwich.

"That is my wish and I hope for the club, for the fans, for everyone, to be available to fight in the same condition as the other clubs. You will only really know if you are good enough or not when you fight with the same conditions.

"If not, it's too difficult to see. Only you are good because you are competing in the last few years, and the frustration is massive because [despite having] less in every single aspect, you are there, but it's not enough to win or achieve the level that you want."

Whats that got to do with last summers window?

One player I’ve always loved, and has apparently been made available, is Thiago. I’d imagine every team would want him though if he was was available.

He's one of the most complete midfielders in world football, I'd be shocked if everyone in the world weren't interested in him.

Those are the only logical reasons (money and club that what’s him), but by all reports Everton want to keep him on.

Maybe Barca like WH's bid more than Everton's?

Guess we'll see how much Everton are driven to keep him in due course.....

Regarding Andre Gomes. I was talking to an Evertonian mate of mine on Friday, trying to get an honest opinion of his qualities.

The response i got was that he looked good when Everton were shite and average when they played well.

Make of this what you will. My take of it is that he doesn't stand out in a decent Everton side.

Just tells me he lacks ambition, moving to United in their current state is basically saying "I care more about money than winning football games."

That's fine, I wouldn't want a player like that at our club anyway (if that is indeed the case.)
Or he believes he’s joining one of the worlds biggest clubs (they still are) with a huge fan base and an opportunity to help build the club back into a trophy grabbing machine. Maybe he likes a challenge.

Or he could go to Barcelona or PSG or City, get similar money and win every match he plays. Where’s the satisfaction in that?

Back
Top Bottom