Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I liked Clarke very much pre the fainting episode but there is no way he is worth anything over 10 mill, even that would be generous.

I read this morning that the Qatari Investment group are interested in buying Leeds. If that happens then you can forget about picking up young players like Clarke for small sums

:vertna: very true. A year or two alongside Jan and then after that strike up the partnership he had with Sanchez at Ajax. Absolute no brainer for the young lad

So if he reduced his wage demands, sacked Raiola and thought about his career rather than his bank balance then Spurs would be the right move for him right now. 5 years at Spurs and he will be 24 or 25 and if Spurs haven't delivered trophy wise then he can think about moving to a super club of his choice abroad and still have his best years of his career ahead of him.

100% mate.

Just a shame it's unlikely to happen.

It's been going around for a while.

Like I said, you're taking something about at some point in the future, to mean now. Nowhere does it say, the question was related to now. In fact the question he was answering was in all likelyhood left out becames it makes the click-bait headline more sensible.

Even if Toby did want it now, Ajax don't pay 25m for anyone ever, and certainly not a 30yo defender. And they don't pay the wages, he would command.

Proper Europa League signing that.

Alot of money for someone who's started 4 league games his entire career and got subbed off at half time in 2 of them.

But not a lot if he turns into a star.

Our model dictates that we take a chance or two. Ckarke and Sessegnon, to a lesser degree would be that punt.

Then we need 2 or 3 established stars who you would hope can carry the flag and take us forward.

Then a crackerjack signing if possible. If not then make it 4 or 5 of the middle group.

Like I said, you're taking something about at some point in the future, to mean now. Nowhere does it say, the question was related to now. In fact the question he was answering was in all likelyhood left out becames it makes the click-bait headline more sensible.

Even if Toby did want it now, Ajax don't pay 25m for anyone ever, and certainly not a 30yo defender. And they don't pay the wages, he would command.

To be fair, its also rare that they receive over £130,000,000 in transfer fees from selling players.

They did spend just under £50,000,000 last season so not out of the realms of possibility that it could be done.

Rare though I agree and it's more likely to be at the end of his career.

Poch hasn’t once disputed what Hoddle has said though.
You’re trying to create a scenario where there is some kind of dispute. They have both said the same thing.

There is money, and he won’t buy players if he doesn’t want them.

Last summer you said Levy wouldn’t give Poch money, the club was a joke and the window was a shambles.

There is zero connection between your view and Pochettinos views.
Exactly, so how can you say Poch was completely against transfers last summer?

Fair enough. I won't disagree. I think Toby can earn top money with whoever he chooses.

To be fair to Ajax though i think they are now a bigger pull than in previous years. Title winners and reaching a Europa league final and the CL semi in the space of a few years. When De Ligt does leave they'll need to replace him unless they have the next homegrown youngster ready to step up. They'll also have a bundle of cash with the potential De Ligt sale and of course the money from De Jong. Maybe they will invest a little more in the first team? Just speculation from viewpoint. However, i concede they won't be changing their model any time soon. Toby's potential wages would be well over 100k and i cannot see Ajax breaking the bank to sign him.

Wishful thinking on my part.

:vertna: very true. A year or two alongside Jan and then after that strike up the partnership he had with Sanchez at Ajax. Absolute no brainer for the young lad

So if he reduced his wage demands, sacked Raiola and thought about his career rather than his bank balance then Spurs would be the right move for him right now. 5 years at Spurs and he will be 24 or 25 and if Spurs haven't delivered trophy wise then he can think about moving to a super club of his choice abroad and still have his best years of his career ahead of him.
Or he could just go straight to barcelona and win a cupboardfull

Maybe money is not important to him?

Looks like Deligt is aiming for the highest wage possible rather than the right club at this time in his career

Apparently United have offered 250k a week. No wonder we are no longer in negotiations with him. Money seems to be the motivating factor for him, why else employ Riaola as his agent.
Then that’s who he is.
Laurence-Fishburne.gif

Exactly, so how can you say Poch was completely against transfers last summer?

Because he deeemed the squad good enough.
His words....do you know more than whats in his head now?

"It's difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn't sign or sell a player, but sometimes in football you need to behave differently and we're happy with our squad," he said.

"If we cannot improve our squad it's better to keep it together. When it's not possible it's not possible and you have to move on and believe in the way we work and be competitive.

"It's not about adding because it's fashionable. I have no doubt we are going to be competitive, with or without signings."

August 2018

Around the time you was saying our squad was shit and the season is a write off, and Poch was betrayed and Levy is a cunt and should leave the club and we need to spend big like City and Liverpool and the whole top 6 had surpassed us.
And now, all of a sudden, you claim you agreed with the last summer window, and was aware that Poch had money available......hilarious stuff

Last edited:
"But it's easy to see in the last few years how we act in the [transfer] market, how we act in everything, and how the other teams were acting. That's the difference.

"Maybe when we arrive to the new stadium in the future we will be in the same project, or we are going to act the same as other teams, like Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Woolwich.

"That is my wish and I hope for the club, for the fans, for everyone, to be available to fight in the same condition as the other clubs. You will only really know if you are good enough or not when you fight with the same conditions.

"If not, it's too difficult to see. Only you are good because you are competing in the last few years, and the frustration is massive because [despite having] less in every single aspect, you are there, but it's not enough to win or achieve the level that you want."

Maybe money is not important to him?

Sure, maybe. Then you could place maybe in front of anything, you care to speculate.

What we do know is that it was widely reported that he was willing to sign on for us. But only at a wage increasing we wouldn't give. This has, far as I'm aware, not been contradicted by the player's agent or anyone else. That would speak to the opposite, ie. someone who's a) willing to stay somewhere he's not happy if the money's right, or more likely b) forego the chance to stay somewhere he is happy, because the money's not right.

Not quite as black and white as that, I know, and not trying to bash Toby. Just don't see any evidence of your statement at all, and if pushed more evidence to the contrary.

Was thinking about this a lot last night and in really do think Poch is going to have a major clear out.

I don't think the following players will be here next season (not necessarily who I want gone but who I think will not be here next season).

Vorm
Trippier
Aurier
Alderweireld
Rose
Wanyama
Eriksen
Lamela
N'Kodou
Janssen
Llorente

if this proves to be correct then I think we need the following for sure:

1 right back
1 left back
1 centre back
1 Centre midfielder
1 attacking midfielder or wide forward type player.

that means

Lloris
Gazza
Whiteman

New RB
KWP

New LB
Davies

Vertonghen
Sanchez
New CB
Foyth

New CM
Winks
Sissoko
Dier
Skipp

Alli
Son
Lucas
New Attacking mid/forward
Kane

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not I would replace Eriksen with another advanced attacking player or a creative CM meaning we would need 2 cm's and basically play a different formation.

So the above is a 21 man squad so obviously not enough. Looking at that I would say I would then add a couple of young signings with good potential. From that squad I would say if we could add a young:

Striker
Direct Winger

23 man squad i think is enough.

Was thinking about this a lot last night and in really do think Poch is going to have a major clear out.

I don't think the following players will be here next season (not necessarily who I want gone but who I think will not be here next season).

Vorm
Trippier
Aurier
Alderweireld
Rose
Wanyama
Eriksen
Lamela
N'Kodou
Janssen
Llorente

if this proves to be correct then I think we need the following for sure:

1 right back
1 left back
1 centre back
1 Centre midfielder
1 attacking midfielder or wide forward type player.

that means

Lloris
Gazza
Whiteman

New RB
KWP

New LB
Davies

Vertonghen
Sanchez
New CB
Foyth

New CM
Winks
Sissoko
Dier
Skipp

Alli
Son
Lucas
New Attacking mid/forward
Kane

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not I would replace Eriksen with another advanced attacking player or a creative CM meaning we would need 2 cm's and basically play a different formation.

So the above is a 21 man squad so obviously not enough. Looking at that I would say I would then add a couple of young signings with good potential. From that squad I would say if we could add a young:

Striker
Direct Winger

23 man squad i think is enough.

All of those players may be put up for offers, but I doubt all will be allowed to go at same time.

And I cannot see more than say 4 genuine First team squad players come in, possibly with one or two youngsters in addition, just very difficult to integrate too many at once otherwise.

Poch originally said he liked a small squad, but this season he's used about 30 players across all competitions, although that obviously includes a few who have only made one or two appearances whether that's Janssen or youngster Marsh, so I'd suggest its more likely to be a 23 man squad (including 3 GK's) plus youngsters..

Back
Top Bottom