Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

More likely the other way round.

The truth is that De Ligt, like Ramos sll those years ago needs a stalwart beside him for a year or two. Barcelona makes sense as they havd Pique, as would Real as they have the aforementioned Ramos.
+ I think that they don't want to waste their time as it was always very unlikely that he would join United this summer.

Yeah but The Dane said Hoddle knows nothing so I don’t know what to believe
And now Hoddle is saying Sissoko needs to improve a lot to be a starter next season. Can't believe a word out of him after this.

"He has improved and he's had a great season for him. I still see a lot of things that he misses out on and doesn't do and for me as a midfield player there's a lot of things he needs to improve on to be in that first XI for Tottenham in the coming future."

Would you rather..

Lloris
Semedo - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Winks - Van Der Beek
Son - Dele
Kane

Or

Lloris
Aurier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Rose
NDombele - Winks
Grealish - Dele - Son
Kane​

And now Hoddle is saying Sissoko needs to improve a lot to be a starter next season. Can't believe a word out of him after this.

"He has improved and he's had a great season for him. I still see a lot of things that he misses out on and doesn't do and for me as a midfield player there's a lot of things he needs to improve on to be in that first XI for Tottenham in the coming future."

Fair opinion....he’s has improved and has had a great season and could still do a lot of things better. Like shooting etc.

Every player can improve.

It all depends on the business we'll do in the summer, surely Sissoko could spend a lot of time on the bench if we bring in 1 or even 2 great central midfielders and if Winks stays healthy for the most part of the season.

Last edited:
Apparently in sammyworld Hoddle knows what Poch's thinking better than Poch
Poch hasn’t once disputed what Hoddle has said though.
You’re trying to create a scenario where there is some kind of dispute. They have both said the same thing.

There is money, and he won’t buy players if he doesn’t want them.

Last summer you said Levy wouldn’t give Poch money, the club was a joke and the window was a shambles.

There is zero connection between your view and Pochettinos views.

Poch hasn’t once disputed what Hoddle has said though.
You’re trying to create a scenario where there is some kind of dispute. They have bothe said the same thing.

There is money, and he won’t buy players if he doesn’t want them.

Last summer you said Levy would give Poch money, the club was a joke and the window was a shambles.

There is zero connection between your view and Pochettinos views.

I also think the key point is being vastly overlooked regarding transfers in & out. People say you can't move forward without buying players yet we've progressed to the final of the biggest club competition in the world.

Yes our league form has been erratic but overall can anyone really say that the vast spending done by the likes of Everton, Chelsea etc has really altered our status in the game domestically? We had some erratic results but up until the Burnley game the squad had shown it could hold its own and was within a couple of points of two teams that arguably have produced the most scintillating title challenge the Premier League has seen in terms of quality.

If our form hadn't dropped so poorly we would have been sitting pretty in third comfortably, our form in the early part of the season suggests so.

Pochettino and the players have developed new skills this season, ones more focused on tact and responsive, reactionary levels and that will only hold us in good stead moving forward. The club took a chance, just like a club does when they do end up signing someone and it seems to have been the correct decision based on league and cup competition results come the end of the season so I don't really see why people still have issue with last summer. It's been, gone and the club were proved right based on the outcome 9 months later. Nothing to see here, in top 4, in the final and have twice as much money for our troubles for doing so as and when we require spending it.

ManU is done and dusted I feel. their entire system is rotten and they need to replace their entire first XI to stand a chance in the years to come. And De Gea and Pogba have one foot out the door... But its disgusting for De Ligt to prefer a move there though at his age - pure moneygrab

Indeed... He could virtually pick a club and any one will pay him a mint.

Cynical.

"Yeh, Ole's the manager to make me an elite defender." :pochrolleyes:

Not sure it's the best idea for Utd either for that matter... Just reeks of the same old Woodward headline-based recruitment.

More likely the other way round.

The truth is that De Ligt, like Ramos sll those years ago needs a stalwart beside him for a year or two. Barcelona makes sense as they havd Pique, as would Real as they have the aforementioned Ramos.

:vertna: very true. A year or two alongside Jan and then after that strike up the partnership he had with Sanchez at Ajax. Absolute no brainer for the young lad

So if he reduced his wage demands, sacked Raiola and thought about his career rather than his bank balance then Spurs would be the right move for him right now. 5 years at Spurs and he will be 24 or 25 and if Spurs haven't delivered trophy wise then he can think about moving to a super club of his choice abroad and still have his best years of his career ahead of him.

I also think the key point is being vastly overlooked regarding transfers in & out. People say you can't move forward without buying players yet we've progressed to the final of the biggest club competition in the world.

Yes our league form has been erratic but overall can anyone really say that the vast spending done by the likes of Everton, Chelsea etc has really altered our status in the game domestically? We had some erratic results but up until the Burnley game the squad had shown it could hold its own and was within a couple of points of two teams that arguably have produced the most scintillating title challenge the Premier League has seen in terms of quality.

If our form hadn't dropped so poorly we would have been sitting pretty in third comfortably, our form in the early part of the season suggests so.

Pochettino and the players have developed new skills this season, ones more focused on tact and responsive, reactionary levels and that will only hold us in good stead moving forward. The club took a chance, just like a club does when they do end up signing someone and it seems to have been the correct decision based on league and cup competition results come the end of the season so I don't really see why people still have issue with last summer. It's been, gone and the club were proved right based on the outcome 9 months later. Nothing to see here, in top 4, in the final and have twice as much money for our troubles for doing so as and when we require spending it.

The other point to mention is stability.

Stability in having one manager for 5 seasons so he knows the players - if we had had say 2 managers, the 2nd one would have wanted to churn the squad he inherited, avoiding that churn (often for no great gain, except the players coming in are more in tune with the tactical desires of the recruiting manager).

Stability means that many of the players have been playing together for 4 or 5 years - so every player knows their team mates well, knows where they are likely to be on the field, how they best like to receive the ball etc. That encourages good play rather than disjointed moves where a player misses a pass because they have not anticipated a team mates movement.

Stability also means Poch has had time to focus on improving players through coaching - its been more beneficial than bringing in new players over the years as players who were just 'ok' 4 or 5 years ago are now at the upper ends of the spectrum of 'good' after that coaching.

Not spending money has really emphasised those benefits. Although its not something to be done on a regular basis, and adding or improving say 4 - 6 players this TW would be good - whether that is all first team players or a couple of promising youngsters

Back
Top Bottom