Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It may be that Milik has always been the top target, but they are waiting out to see how his situation plays out. It currently looks as if Milik’s been pushed aside at Juve. Perhaps his/his agent’s stance softens a bit towards joining a team with Harry Kane.

If Harry feels overplayed he partly shares responsibility.
Shouldn’t be declaring himself fit when he clearly wasn’t.
And every time it happens, and he comes back slow and struggling, it’s always on the back of the team doing well without him.

It may be that Milik has always been the top target, but they are waiting out to see how his situation plays out. It currently looks as if Milik’s been pushed aside at Juve. Perhaps his/his agent’s stance softens a bit towards joining a team with Harry Kane.
No the new thing is to slag off any signing as second choice

Something like this.....Gazzaniga, Sessegnon, Sanchez, Tanganga, Aurier, Sissoko, Winks, Ndombele, Lamela, Moura and errrm one more. Of course Aurier at least likely to leave. Not great is it.

If we add Daka at striker, that’s a pretty good 2nd 11. All of them except Gazz, Sess, and Tanganga have experience starting long stretches in the top 5 leagues. Sanchez, Ndombele, and Moura could walk into the starting 11 of most mid table sides. Sanchez is arguably better than Dier. Ndombele could be our most talented player overall. Moura had a hat trick in a CL Semifinal.

Your post actually made me believe we are one or two players away from having very good depth. The back up striker is key.

tenor.gif

Imagine you are a player (any position you wish to choose) who has been told by his club that Spurs have made an official enquiry about signing you this window. You feel like you need a change but are also aware that other top Premiership sides may also be interested.
So you go home and you make a list of the Pros and Cons for becoming a Spurs player. What would be on your list ??

Here's mine :

Position : Striker

Pros : Superb new stadium and training facilities
Mourinho currently the manager
Europa League Football next season

Cons : Club has won nothing since 2008
No guarantee of regular first team football with Harry Kane fit.
Financial inability or deliberate choice not to sign top quality players

My decision : I'll wait and see if something better comes along

True. That’s the mentality of a top player. But it is the responsibility of the club to enforce a policy that protects both the player and the club.
Also we've done this to Dier before till he got injured and could never reach the physical form he had before. Is natural top players would want to play every game, but in theory we should have a manager that would say to him that he won't do that.

I agree with this.

I posted the following in the "Amazon" thread and haven't had a serious answer yet.

Thoughts?
It's Levy, even if someone wants to give Hitchen the blame,who just gave him a promotion? I'm not buying the two picky stuff, this kind of situation has happened too many times to too many managers.

Imagine you are a player (any position you wish to choose) who has been told by his club that Spurs have made an official enquiry about signing you this window. You feel like you need a change but are also aware that other top Premiership sides may also be interested.
So you go home and you make a list of the Pros and Cons for becoming a Spurs player. What would be on your list ??

Here's mine :

Position : Striker

Pros : Superb new stadium and training facilities
Mourinho currently the manager
Europa League Football next season

Cons : Club has won nothing since 2008
No guarantee of regular first team football with Harry Kane fit.
Financial inability or deliberate choice not to sign top quality players

You forgot a fat payrise in your pro's section.

Both attacking players, both versatile (Son is better on the wing, Volland as a striker in the middle), good scoring records in the Bundesliga (Son with 3 good seasons, Volland always contributed over 8 seasons), both had reasonable wages at Bayer Leverkusen, so they were available for us from a financial standpoint. One year on his contract left, I don't know how it was about Son when we bought him.

Hope this clears it up for you. Sorry if I triggered you somewhere with "similar profile", as you already called for back-up? Volland always went a bit under the radar, Löw didnt like him despite striker shortage. He is a fucking good player. Weird transfer to Monaco.
So, superficially and from a financial perspective? It seemed as if you were comparing them as players and as players they are nothing alike. I'm very familiar with Volland's play and do agree he is a good player. I'm also familiar with his struggles post-injury, post-covid. Not sure he is PL material athletically. I know he had decent pace and is intelligent but don't see him working out in the PL. And yes, Monaco is a strange deal.

Okay Swoos Swoos you disagree, as is your right. So let's see your list for a striker and see how it compares ?? What would attract/detract you regarding Spurs ?

Okay Swoos Swoos you disagree, as is your right. So let's see your list for a striker and see how it compares ?? What would attract/detract you regarding Spurs ?

I don't know what a player thinks when deciding a club. I just think you have a much more pessimistic view of it compared to players we target.

I think part of the problem is the opposite, Kane wants to play too much - every game almost - and neither Poch nor Mourinho wanted/want to stop him either.

I think you and the poster you are responding to are both right to some extent.

The problem with strikers in particular is that they want to score the goals that bring the glory. Understandable but also problematic.

You arguably solve it by being a very strong manager but also by having a very good 2nd striker.

What's Reguilon's defending like? I have seen him put in one horrorshow defensive performance at home to Espanyol and he wasn't really tested on an individual level against Utd or Roma. He seems a bit soft in the physicality department, too.

todd1882 todd1882
Even though I take it the odd Sevilla game I rarely took notice of him. It's usually a Banega-type exercise for me, eyes longingly focused on actual MF play. And Ocampos because I'm still amazed marseille gave him away. I can say that I'd rather have Gaya though.

I don't know what a player thinks when deciding a club. I just think you have a much more pessimistic view of it compared to players we target.
Change pessimistic for 'realistic'. Trophyless since 2008 is a fact. "Harry Kane will be the number one pick as our striker whenever he is fit and available" I think is a valid statement. Our reputation for doddering, haggling and hesitating during transfer windows is known across the world.
As a potential new striker recruit those facts would definitely weigh heavily on my mind when making my choice.

Back
Top Bottom