Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Change pessimistic for 'realistic'. Trophyless since 2008 is a fact. "Harry Kane will be the number one pick as our striker whenever he is fit and available" I think is a valid statement. Our reputation for doddering, haggling and hesitating during transfer windows is known across the world.
As a potential new striker recruit those facts would definitely weigh heavily on my mind when making my choice.

Or maybe they know we are a club desperate for a striker and that Kane is injured every season and that we have 4 competitions and that we are a big club and that maybe our depth is the reason we haven't won a trophy and that he can be the player to give us that depth and that these guys have worked their entire lives for an opportunity at a club like Spurs and that he'd be getting paid wages to make his whole family wealthy......

It's Levy, even if someone wants to give Hitchen the blame,who just gave him a promotion? I'm not buying the two picky stuff, this kind of situation has happened too many times to too many managers.
Thanks for the serious reply.

Ultimately everything is down to Levy as CEO and I agree about him giving Hitchin a promotion.
Too picky stuff, I don't believe either, just threw it in as an option.
The fact remains that we haven't made any serious approach (don't know tbh ?) for strikers .

If Hitchin has identified some within the budget and the type Jose wants, why haven't we approached them. Yes. there's loads of "links" through ITKs, journo's etc, but how many of them are genuine ?
Again, I have no idea, but something is defiintely wrong with our recruitment process.

Every one knows that we need another striker and it baffles me that we haven't even approached one.

We've seen reports about Spurs being "out bid" by other clubs, but did we really actualy make a bid for Watkins, for example, or was it just talk. If we didn't then why didn't we (the options I gave in my original post). Or is it that Levy refused to sanction it ?

Sorry for waffling on but I'm genuinely baffled by it all.

Okay Swoos Swoos you disagree, as is your right. So let's see your list for a striker and see how it compares ?? What would attract/detract you regarding Spurs ?

For a young promising up and coming striker;

Attract
Maybe wages if from a lower league/club
Top stadium
Top facilities
Top manager

Detract
Back up to Harry
Maybe get better wages from another club
Back up to Harry
Levy
Back up to Harry
Appearance bonuses, if you play
Back up to Harry
Possibly not European football/no CL football
Back up to Harry

Last but not least
Back up to Harry (don't think I've mentioned that)

Bottom line, wait and see.

Or maybe they know we are a club desperate for a striker and that Kane is injured every season and that we have 4 competitions and that we are a big club and that maybe our depth is the reason we haven't won a trophy and that he can be the player to give us that depth and that these guys have worked their entire lives for an opportunity at a club like Spurs and that he'd be getting paid wages to make his whole family wealthy......
Maybe they'll wonder why we are still desperate for a striker despite the terrible consequences of not having a back up for Harry last season. They'll also be puzzled why we prioritised a third goalkeeper and two non recognised stikers rather than address this obvious serious problem immediately the window of opportunity opened.
As for the wages viewpoint then if all you are looking for during your football career is financial stability for your family, despite it being at the cost of you having to warm your arse for 80% of the season then you are simply squandering a natural talent.

The problem in a nutshell, but unless there's an alternative solution (back up striker) which the management can then be seen to either use or ignore then Harry remains the only option, fully fit or not.

But will that alternative (back up striker) ever be wonderful enough to tempt a manager to seriously consider them an alternative to Kane given the choice on any day that matters?

I think it's a conundrum that not just we struggle with, most top sides don't have this well covered. Who's back up for Lewandowski ? ManC don't have an out and out 9 back up, they have Jesus who was a wide player in Brazil and still can play more than as a 9. Until last season who was back up for Benzema ? The conundrum complicated by the prevalence for single striker systems (or even no striker systems) that most operate these days.

I'm not saying that I think we've handled this brilliantly, I think there were better solutions to this than we have found. I really really did not understand the Bergwijn or Gedson transfers when we could have used those funds and non HG births to actually solve more important issues.

Bergwijn is a wide player who can play as a striker (or did in holland anyway) but I think in the summer we could have prioritised a 9 who can play wide instead - someone like Leao, Rebic, Niang. Others have suggested other players.

But none of them would likely resolve that eternal conundrum of having a like for like back up that would replicate what Kane does (when he's fit and at it), or a back up of such good quality that we don't all slaughter the fucker (a la Janssen) as soon as he gets a run out. Leao can't get a game at Milan because 50yo Ibra gets picked ahead of him.

I would have lived with any of the above as a solutions, I didn't hate it when Janssen got a game, didn't think he was anywhere near as terrible as others did, for a back up, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those banging the back up striker drum relentlessly will be banging the "not this cunt" drum as soon as we sign some back up and he plays and doesn't score a Hatrick every week.

Last edited:
For a young or lower league striker - being back up to Harry should be a privilege, something to spur you on and learn from. So if take it as a positive
Also I'd know that Harry can't play every game, that he has had injuries.
Then there is great stadium, facilities etc.

Maybe they'll wonder why we are still desperate for a striker despite the terrible consequences of not having a back up for Harry last season. They'll also be puzzled why we prioritised a third goalkeeper and two non recognised stikers rather than address this obvious serious problem immediately the window of opportunity opened.
As for the wages viewpoint then if all you are looking for during your football career is financial stability for your family, despite it being at the cost of you having to warm your arse for 80% of the season then you are simply squandering a natural talent.

"prioritized a 3rd keeper" is such a stretch lol we signed a guy on a free. It was a painless deal. So much different than buying a player from another club. are we suppose to ignore other needs until we sign a striker even if an opportunity arises? signing a striker immediately would've been a good thing, sure. but signing one later in the window doesn't make it a bad signing. we don't know who the club prioritizes at that position. just because we didn't sign one immediately doesn't mean that aren't aware it's a problem.

and if you don't think the financials matter to every player to some extent then I don't know what to tell you. it absolutely matters and there is nothing wrong with that.

and yes, kane will take away minutes. but any club bigger than us will have a similar situation. there are plenty of reasons why a player would want to come here. and sure, there are reasons a player may not. but that can be argued for literally any club in the world.

But will that alternative (back up striker) ever be wonderful enough to tempt a manager to seriously consider them an alternative to Kane given the choice on any day that matters?

I think it's a conundrum that not just we struggle with, most top sides don't have this well covered. Who's back up for Lewandowski ? ManC don't have an out and out 9 back up, they have Jesus who was a wide player in Brazil and still can play more than as a 9. Until last season who was back up for Benzema ?

I'm not saying that I think we've handled this brilliantly, I think there were better solutions to this than we have found. I really really did not understand the Bergwijn or Gedson transfers when we could have used those funds and non HG births to actually solve more important issues.

Bergwijn is a wide player who can play as a striker (or did in holland anyway) but I think in the summer we could have prioritised a 9 who can play wide instead - someone like Leao, Rebic, Niang. Others have suggested other players.

But none of them would likely resolve that eternal conundrum of having a like for like back up that would replicate what Kane does (when he's fit and at it), or a back up of such good quality that we don't all slaughter the fucker (a la Janssen) as soon as he gets a run out. Leao can't get a game at Milan because 50yo Ibra gets picked ahead of him.

I would have lived with any of the above as a solutions, I didn't hate it when Janssen got a game, didn't think he was anywhere near as terrible as others did, for a back up, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those banging the back up striker drum relentlessly will be banging the "not this cunt" drum as soon as we sign some back up and he plays and doesn't score a Hatrick every week.
I agree with most of that but our manager seems to shit the bed without a centre forward. Not sure his tactics are flexible enough to utilise a false 9 or wide forwards like pep.
Bayern I think stick Muller in as no9 but again they're a better footballing side than us

You arguably solve it by being a very strong manager but also by having a very good 2nd striker.
Agree but there is also the option of not building your team around a goals-first striker and getting your goals as a result of a multi-pronged attack. It's easier to find AMs than it is to truly find goal scoring strikers whose goals are mostly due to their brilliance. See Pool, City, RM and others for evidence. I'd rather have 1 person sacrificing for 5 other guys than 5 guys working for 1.

Thanks for the serious reply.

Ultimately everything is down to Levy as CEO and I agree about him giving Hitchin a promotion.
Too picky stuff, I don't believe either, just threw it in as an option.
The fact remains that we haven't made any serious approach (don't know tbh ?) for strikers .

If Hitchin has identified some within the budget and the type Jose wants, why haven't we approached them. Yes. there's loads of "links" through ITKs, journo's etc, but how many of them are genuine ?
Again, I have no idea, but something is defiintely wrong with our recruitment process.

Every one knows that we need another striker and it baffles me that we haven't even approached one.

We've seen reports about Spurs being "out bid" by other clubs, but did we really actualy make a bid for Watkins, for example, or was it just talk. If we didn't then why didn't we (the options I gave in my original post). Or is it that Levy refused to sanction it ?

Sorry for waffling on but I'm genuinely baffled by it all.
I think we are just doing a scattergun approach, there is no plan. I think we are making enquires to see who is within our budget. I think he will wait until the end of the window to try and sign someone.

" Tottenham were Villa’s main rivals. Watkins was open to the move and confident he would have enjoyed plenty of game time across numerous competitions. However, Spurs were not in a position to move quickly because of the finances involved, with the striker’s rapidly inflating fee proving too difficult an obstacle for the club to overcome at the speed required. "
I mean, seriously. Wether you wanted Watkins or not, the explanation put forward here really makes me want to vomit.

giphy.gif

"prioritized a 3rd keeper" is such a stretch lol we signed a guy on a free. It was a painless deal. So much different than buying a player from another club. are we suppose to ignore other needs until we sign a striker even if an opportunity arises? signing a striker immediately would've been a good thing, sure. but signing one later in the window doesn't make it a bad signing. we don't know who the club prioritizes at that position. just because we didn't sign one immediately doesn't mean that aren't aware it's a problem.

and if you don't think the financials matter to every player to some extent then I don't know what to tell you. it absolutely matters and there is nothing wrong with that.

and yes, kane will take away minutes. but any club bigger than us will have a similar situation. there are plenty of reasons why a player would want to come here. and sure, there are reasons a player may not. but that can be argued for literally any club in the world.

Give me the negatives of signing for Real Madrid/Barcelona/PSG/Juventus ?

We signed a guy on a free ?? We pissed £30k a week up the wall by bringing in someone who is no better than our current number 2 keeper. Signing a striker later in the window obviously greatly reduces the availablity of top quality players still out there. We will once again be looking in the bargain basement and the selling clubs will know how increasingly desperate we are becoming as the window begins to shut. This is business that should have been meticulously planned as soon as Harry limped off the pitch injured last season at Southampton.

The financials matter of course, but ask any professional player would he rather be on the pitch or sitting on a bench earning his money and the answer would be "kicking a ball", even if it did mean a wage cut.

Back
Top Bottom