Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A few comments about a few of the players mentioned recently:

I wish I could believe the Reguilon rumours but it is the kind of ambitious, proactive move we have not made in a long time. I do not think he is a world beater by any means but he clearly improves the team and actually allows us some flexibility in terms of line-ups and tactics.

Playing with limited players like Davies, Sissoko and Moura hurt us so much last year, I can't see why they want to continue this plan just because of some silly LB formation idea that would be improved on if we brought in Reguilon.

Milik- As a talent he seems like he would be a good back-up, not likely to challenge Kane but would be a PL starting level talent and maybe more than that. I am not too keen on the fact it looks like if he does come it would be as a second, third, fourth, fifth choice after running out of options in Serie A and his agents comments directly saying he didn't want to come but maybe he sees the reality that we are his best shot at getting what he wants or to play for a biggish club.

Diallo- I said it before and will say it again I don't get it if he is the one we end up with. Metz was trying to sell him in the winter so if he is a player we are happy with why not buy him then? It seems like if he comes it will be because nobody else is left rather than him being an actual good fit.

For striker I hope we end up with a young guy- like a Daka or Edouard- who can come in and be a solid back-up, likely ok to do that to develop and have the potential to either push Kane for starts in a year or so or take over if Kane wants to leave. I think it is worth the money to spend on someone like this. I will leave it up to scouts to say who that guy is but the young, talented striker I think is the best route to go down at this point over a Diallo, King, even Wood who I like, route.

No, I'm not inferring that. You are putting words in my mouth and creating a straw man.

Okay I shall rephrase it :

So you are inferring lots of striker's agents are enquiring with, or being contacted by, Daniel Levy and for whatever reason (financial or other) he is eventually saying "No Thanks" .

My problem with that is what makes Spurs currently such an attractive prospect for an agent who is handling a top quality striker ?. Once again getting back to my Pro's and Cons question.

I'll leave it at that, it's been an interesting discussion but we shall obviously not agree on some major points. Let's hope we both feel a lot happier about the situation at the end of this window and the coming season.
:mourthumb: :coys::coys::coys::coys:

Okay I shall rephrase it :

So you are inferring lots of striker's agents are enquiring with, or being contacted by, Daniel Levy and for whatever reason (financial or other) he is eventually saying "No Thanks" .

My problem with that is what makes Spurs currently such an attractive prospect for an agent who is handling a top quality striker ?. Once again getting back to my Pro's and Cons question.

I'll leave it at that, it's been an interesting discussion but we shall obviously not agree on some major points. Let's hope we both feel a lot happier about the situation at the end of this window and the coming season.
:mourthumb: :coys::coys::coys::coys:

I think these agents get told "no thanks" quite often though. I don't think it's unique to us. I think there is a lot of chatter like that between clubs and agents that we never hear a word of. The agents of course know Levy is shrewd and harder to negotiate with, but they also have a job to find their players a new/improved club. That's the leverage Levy has in his corner.

But yes, we can just disagree haha

It's not really a Levy signing. He's already 31, no real resale value. Maybe it would be worth it commercially? Of course there's all the injury prone stuff too. The player who left Spurs as the league's best player, went on to win everything in domestic football, now returning to the team he made his career at. My mind says it isn't realistic but part of me really wants to see him back at the Lane.

If he signed, would we need a back up striker?

I mean, seriously. Wether you wanted Watkins or not, the explanation put forward here really makes me want to vomit.
and the reigning champions need to sell Wijnaldum in order to afford the purchase of Thiago.

Won the league, don’t have stadium debts... yet need to sell to buy.

We’re all looking from outside the football fishbowl and have little comprehension of the wide ranging impacts of COVID-19. No/little crowds will now be affecting the budget bottom lines of clubs all through out Europe for this up coming season as well.

Do those that hope we sign a 'back up' for Kane also hope for top 4?

Question is slightly loaded. :mourbye:

I want to sign a striker that will challenge Kane, I also want to challenge for the title.

Top 4 is a bullshit aim, aiming to sign a 'second/back up' striker is too..

I am sure everyone would love to sign a better striker than Kane but also realize that with Levy the idea of signing a striker to challenge Kane is highly unlikely if not impossible.

Nevermind the number of available strikers who could even challenge being fairly small but there is little chance Levy would pay the price for them.

It would be nice if people talking about strikers who would challenge Kane actually listed realistic options that Levy would actually sign.

And Cavani is not good enough at this stage to challenge Kane.

It's not really a Levy signing. He's already 31, no real resale value. Maybe it would be worth it commercially? Of course there's all the injury prone stuff too. The player who left Spurs as the league's best player, went on to win everything in domestic football, now returning to the team he made his career at. My mind says it isn't realistic but part of me really wants to see him back at the Lane.

Of course we would need a back-up striker.

Bale is not a striker, is a big injury risk and is not coming here to play against Plovdiv and Leyton Orient.

Even on half wages wouldn’t Bale cost like 300k a week?

He left. Time to move on.

and the reigning champions need to sell Wijnaldum in order to afford the purchase of Thiago.

Won the league, don’t have stadium debts... yet need to sell to buy.

We’re all looking from outside the football fishbowl and have little comprehension of the wide ranging impacts of COVID-19. No/little crowds will now be affecting the budget bottom lines of clubs all through out Europe for this up coming season as well.

Need to or are choosing to?

They dont have a hole in their team that they need filling so they can decide to be picky when it comes to Thiago, the fact he seems to only want to go there helps.

Liverpool is a terrible comparable for us because their team doesn’t have massive hikes like us, they are coming off winning the league not finishing 6th and have spent huge money filling the needs of their team already.

Would Bale be a signing that our players get excited about? Like, would it be that signing that give them a mentality boost? Or would they be irritated that we are bringing back a novelty to take minutes from them?

I'd be excited for it, and I think he has some good football left in him. But I do wonder what the dressing room would think.

You pay 75% of his wages, waive the transfer fee and we get 80% of the image rights. :levystare:

Would Bale be a signing that our players get excited about? Like, would it be that signing that give them a mentality boost? Or would they be irritated that we are bringing back a novelty to take minutes from them?

I'd be excited for it, and I think he has some good football left in him. But I do wonder what the dressing room would think.

I would hope that they would get a boost. If they are worried about their minutes then I would suggest we should move on from them anyways. He should be able to come in and help the team win and that should be what is most important.

Of course we would need a back-up striker.

Bale is not a striker, is a big injury risk and is not coming here to play against Plovdiv and Leyton Orient.

Even on half wages wouldn’t Bale cost like 300k a week?
In his final season with us, he played up front plenty of times. Even the idea of him playing behind Son or just part of the attack, you can argue that it would be more effective than buying a lesser player to just play striker.

All i'm saying is, if Madrid are pissed off with him and FORCING him out, where else would he go? I don't think any other top PL team would go for him.

1000% i think he would... he's a superstar. I think it would give them extra belief. We talk about needing proven winners and the guy has won everything and even if he kicked off a bit when he left, I think Spurs fans look at him fondly and it'd create a lot of excitement.

I don't think it is hugely realistic but not completely off the table

In his final season with us, he played up front plenty of times. Even the idea of him playing behind Son or just part of the attack, you can argue that it would be more effective than buying a lesser player to just play striker.

All i'm saying is, if Madrid are pissed off with him and FORCING him out, where else would he go? I don't think any other top PL team would go for him.

I think he could play in a front 3 out on the wing but I don't think he solves any issues we have with giving Kane time off.

For example, he is not starting as a lone striker in Europa League games or Cup games. He isn't an option to play as a lone striker or really even in a partnership with Son if Kane is injured for multiple games.

I think if we bring him in we definitely still need a true striker to be brought in to at minimum play the Europa League games and early round Cup games. Bale doesn't fill that need.

But will that alternative (back up striker) ever be wonderful enough to tempt a manager to seriously consider them an alternative to Kane given the choice on any day that matters?

I think it's a conundrum that not just we struggle with, most top sides don't have this well covered. Who's back up for Lewandowski ? ManC don't have an out and out 9 back up, they have Jesus who was a wide player in Brazil and still can play more than as a 9. Until last season who was back up for Benzema ? The conundrum complicated by the prevalence for single striker systems (or even no striker systems) that most operate these days.

I'm not saying that I think we've handled this brilliantly, I think there were better solutions to this than we have found. I really really did not understand the Bergwijn or Gedson transfers when we could have used those funds and non HG births to actually solve more important issues.

Bergwijn is a wide player who can play as a striker (or did in holland anyway) but I think in the summer we could have prioritised a 9 who can play wide instead - someone like Leao, Rebic, Niang. Others have suggested other players.

But none of them would likely resolve that eternal conundrum of having a like for like back up that would replicate what Kane does (when he's fit and at it), or a back up of such good quality that we don't all slaughter the fucker (a la Janssen) as soon as he gets a run out. Leao can't get a game at Milan because 50yo Ibra gets picked ahead of him.

I would have lived with any of the above as a solutions, I didn't hate it when Janssen got a game, didn't think he was anywhere near as terrible as others did, for a back up, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those banging the back up striker drum relentlessly will be banging the "not this cunt" drum as soon as we sign some back up and he plays and doesn't score a Hatrick every week.
bus-conductor bus-conductor You'll be pleased to learn the identity of Rafael Leao's agent.

Yes, it appears to be Jorge Mendes.

The following is from early August. The identity of the agent interests me far more than the out-of-date transfer gossip.

-------------------------------------------------------

According to what is being reported by TMW, there has been some contacts between Juventus and Jorge Mendes regarding Leao.

The Portuguese agent offered up his client during some chats with Juve chief Fabio Paratici. However, Milan do not seem willing to sell, and instead they will focus strongly on the 21-year-old next season – a player they strongly believe in

TMW: Milan's stance outlined as agent Jorge Mendes offers Rafael Leao to Juventus

Im sorry but i don't care that Bale left us, at the time i was gutted but who can say he made the wrong decision? it's the same reason that i wouldn't even blame Kane for wanting to leave us to fulfill his dreams, as we seem to be a club unwilling or unable to make that final step to winning trophies so far, Bale is a fucking superstar, and he is exactly the kind of signing that a big club would make, its risky of course, but to dare is to do and all that, maybe if we went and signed a player like Bale players wouldn't need to leave us to fulfill their dreams of winning Trophies, if levy has a chance to sign Bale then get it done!

Bale + Son + Kane = Fucking every trophy known to man! Get it done Levy please! :tobyarm:

Back
Top Bottom