Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he could play in a front 3 out on the wing but I don't think he solves any issues we have with giving Kane time off.

For example, he is not starting as a lone striker in Europa League games or Cup games. He isn't an option to play as a lone striker or really even in a partnership with Son if Kane is injured for multiple games.

I think if we bring him in we definitely still need a true striker to be brought in to at minimum play the Europa League games and early round Cup games. Bale doesn't fill that need.
if Son or Bergwijn can play up front (they've both done it numerous times), why can't Bale play behind them in a 4-2-3-1 or next to them? To me, that's a very dangerous attack, with Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Sess, GLC able to play with them.

You may be right, i'm just looking at possibilities. I get that he may not be thrilled to play those lesser games.

if Son or Bergwijn can play up front (they've both done it numerous times), why can't Bale play behind them in a 4-2-3-1? To me, that's a very dangerous attack, with Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Sess, GLC able to play with them.

You may be right, i'm just looking at possibilities. I get that he may not be thrilled to play those lesser games.
LLoris
Doherty Toby Dier Davies
Hojberg Ndombele
GLC
Bergwijn Son Bale

Need to or are choosing to?

They dont have a hole in their team that they need filling so they can decide to be picky when it comes to Thiago, the fact he seems to only want to go there helps.

Liverpool is a terrible comparable for us because their team doesn’t have massive hikes like us, they are coming off winning the league not finishing 6th and have spent huge money filling the needs of their team already.

But in some ways they are where we were 4 years ago, having just finished second. They have not bought a player for the first team in 18 months now, and their team is ageing, and Klopp's methods require similar levels of intensity that Poch's did back then, that takes it's toll, and Klopp doesn't rotate his favourites much either.

The thing in their favour is, they still have a much better recruitment apparatus than us, but they are in financial difficulties, they absolutely wanted Werner and I'm sure they wanted Lewis, and it's not a choice to sell first to buy. And they do need to start rebuilding or they will need up like we have (maybe not as bad but in a similar state of needing too much to late).

Last edited:
if Son or Bergwijn can play up front (they've both done it numerous times), why can't Bale play behind them in a 4-2-3-1 or next to them? To me, that's a very dangerous attack, with Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Sess, GLC able to play with them.

You think we are going to start Son or Bergwijn as our main striker in Europa League games?

Why not just do what every other club does and get a proper striker in who can play those games? Why do we need to force guys to play out of position rather than just getting a proper striker in?

You set up seems fine if Kane is out for a week, but that is not what we should be doing as a 1st plan line-up for our EL and Cup games when the fixture list is crazy busy.

But in some ways they are where we were 4 years ago, having just finished second. They have not bought a player for the first team in 18 months now, and there team is ageing, and Klopp's methods require similar levels of intensity that Poch's did back then, that takes it's toll, and Klopp doesn't rotate his favourites much either.

The thing in their favour is, they still have a much better recruitment apparatus than us, but they are in financial difficulties, they absolutely wanted Werner and I'm sure they wanted Lewis, and it's not a choice to sell first to buy. And they do need to start rebuilding or they will need up like we have (maybe not as bad but in a similar state of needing too much to late).

I think they definitely should bring players in and think that adding a guy like Thaigo is perfect for them, I am just pointing out that when people try to say "see Liverpool aren't splashing money out for Thiago" or the even stupider "Newcastle outbid them for Lewis" to try and defend the actions of Levy that they are in a totally different situation than us and the comparison is silly.

I think they only wanted Werner at the price they wanted to pay and since it isn't a need they can afford to wait and not pay more than they want. I really don't think they wanted Lewis all that much more than the Greek guy they got.

You think we are going to start Son or Bergwijn as our main striker in Europa League games?

Why not just do what every other club does and get a proper striker in who can play those games? Why do we need to force guys to play out of position rather than just getting a proper striker in?

You set up seems fine if Kane is out for a week, but that is not what we should be doing as a 1st plan line-up for our EL and Cup games when the fixture list is crazy busy.
Surely if we had no intention of buying a striker we would have kept hold of Troy Parrott? This is why i still think we will get one before the end of the window.

bus-conductor bus-conductor You'll be pleased to learn the identity of Rafael Leao's agent.

Yes, it appears to be Jorge Mendes.

The following is from early August. The identity of the agent interests me far more than the out-of-date transfer gossip.

-------------------------------------------------------

According to what is being reported by TMW, there has been some contacts between Juventus and Jorge Mendes regarding Leao.

The Portuguese agent offered up his client during some chats with Juve chief Fabio Paratici. However, Milan do not seem willing to sell, and instead they will focus strongly on the 21-year-old next season – a player they strongly believe in

TMW: Milan's stance outlined as agent Jorge Mendes offers Rafael Leao to Juventus

Interesting, the fact that it's Mendes (and we have Mou) gives us a slim hope, but sounds like Milan don't want to let him go and certainly not on the cheap, they paid 25m Eur.

We've started Son as our main striker in CL knockout ties and won. I haven't seen him in that role but others say that Bergwijn can play up top. Why won't it work in the EL?

Trust me, I have been wanting an extra striker for this club for a long time. Shit, I have been crying for a left back for years. These areas should have been covered earlier, you are right, we should have been getting a proper striker in. However, if options are running out, I think the addition of a game-changing player like Bale may be more effective than bringing in a striker just to bring in a striker.

Surely if we had no intention of buying a striker we would have kept hold of Troy Parrott? This is why i still think we will get one before the end of the window.

I think there is an intention of buying one, but I think Levy and Hitchens have truly fucked it up by trying to be too cheap and waiting on getting deals late and poorly identifying who we should go after.

After watching them in the Amazon documentary this scenario seems to totally fit with what both were saying. I think Hitchens has a limited amount of players that fits his and Jose's criteria and then Levy wants to wait as long as he can working on a deal to get those guys. If the Watkins reports are to be believed, and no reason not to, they fucked it up.

Couple that with the repeated reports that we need to sell to buy and the lack of sales I think Levy is waiting hoping to sell guys and get someone on the cheap at the end of the window, which for many reasons is a horrible way for him to handle this particular signing.

I think that approach makes sense if they are looking at a CB like has been rumoured, but for a striker which we cannot afford to miss out on and need a better option than whatever bargain bin option is left I feel this should have been taken care of weeks ago.

We're not the only club to have a great striker though, other clubs manage to accomodate two (or, heaven forbid, more) without a problem.

Mourinho will walk and whilst he is certainly not everyone's cup of tea nobody c9ulf blame him.

You need to be backed as a manager whoever you are let alone if you are objectively one of the greatest ever.

We've started Son as our main striker in CL knockout ties and won. I haven't seen him in that role but others say that Bergwijn can play up top. Why won't it work in the EL?

Trust me, I have been wanting an extra striker for this club for a long time. Shit, I have been crying for a left back for years. These areas should have been covered earlier, you are right, we should have been getting a proper striker in. However, if options are running out, I think the addition of a game-changing player like Bale may be more effective than bringing in a striker just to bring in a striker.

it won't work in the EL because we want Son to be playing for us in the PL.

Look at the fixtures list we have something like 8 games in 17 days. We can't have Son playing on the wing in the PL games then 2 days later in Bulgaria as the forward, then 2 days later in Plymouth as the forward, then 2 days later out on the wing again at Southampton. That is insane.

Bergwijn as well should be starting for us in the Pl team, although if Bale comes in maybe he takes that spot and Bergwijn is a start for our 2nd team, but even if that is the case why are we playing guys out of position by design? As a fill in for injury sure but planning to play Bergwijn as a striker when he isn't just because he "can" play there is a terrible idea. Getting a striker isn't that hard.

No bringing in Bale and not bring in a striker is not an effective plan and there is no reason it would be one or the other. We need to bring in another striker, full stop. There is no solution that makes sense outside of bringing in a new striker. Playing guys out of position is a terrible plan. Starting guys in the PL and EL (at least pre-Christmas) is a terrible plan. Bring in a new striker, end of story.

Interesting, the fact that it's Mendes (and we have Mou) gives us a slim hope, but sounds like Milan don't want to let him go and certainly not on the cheap, they paid 25m Eur.
You don't think offering Aurier in part-exchange for Leao will make it an offer Milan can't refuse? :mourbringit:

But yes, I think Milik is a more likely target now he's probably not going to Juve.

But, with players like Raul Jimenez & Leao being Mendes' clients, I'm sure Mourinho will know if there are any transfers involving these players in the offing.

And if he thinks there's a chance for Spurs, he won't hesitate to raise it with Levy.

I suspect there's more chance of Levy agreeing to a Mourinho transfer demand, if he knows it's do-able with the player because of the Mendes factor, than with any of our previous managers.

But that doesn't mean I think either Leao or RJ end up at Spurs this summer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom