Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not really a Levy signing. He's already 31, no real resale value. Maybe it would be worth it commercially? Of course there's all the injury prone stuff too. The player who left Spurs as the league's best player, went on to win everything in domestic football, now returning to the team he made his career at. My mind says it isn't realistic but part of me really wants to see him back at the Lane.

If he signed, would we need a back up striker?

I don't know why they aren't waving the fee entirely just to get the €30m they owe him off their books.

Typical that the one time Mendes could be of some use to us.....he isn't.

I mooted the idea of an Aurier p/ex a few days ago. To be fair I'd part ex most of ours for several of theirs - Kessie, Bennacer, Hernandez, Leao, maybe Rebic.....
We all know about Mendes' relationship with Wolves, where his client Nuno Espiritu Santo has signed numerous outstanding Gestifute players.

Wiki reminded me of quite how long-standing, and how deep, the Mendes-Mourinho relationship is.

I'm suspicious of the role of super-agents in modern football, and don't much like it.

But it's clear that knowing with certainty a player genuinely wants to sign for your club, and for your coach, makes doing a deal far more likely. Mendes might play games with Levy, but I'm fairly certain he'd be straight with Mourinho.

Whilst we have that Mourinho-Mendes relationship in the club, for better or worse, I hope we exploit it to end up with more than Matt Doherty....

---------------------------------
In 2004, Mendes brokered José Mourinho's move from Porto to manage Chelsea, despite Mourinho already having an agent, José Baidek, whom Mourinho had known since his time at União de Leiria and who had reportedly lined up a move to Liverpool.[12] Mourinho and Mendes negotiated with the agent Pini Zahavi, who acted as Chelsea's representative.[13]

The deal established Mendes' importance. He built up a roster of the leading Portuguese players and every Portuguese player that followed Mourinho to Chelsea was a client of Mendes, including Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira, Tiago and Maniche.[12] Mendes was paid by Chelsea to act for the player and for the club.[14]

GestiFute was also involved in part-owning the economic rights of a number of these players. In July 2003, Porto bought 20% of Brazilian-born Portuguese professional footballer Deco's rights from GestiFute in exchange for €2.25 million, plus 5% of the economic rights for Ricardo Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira. Shortly afterwards, GestiFute sold a further 15% of Deco's economic rights to the club, this time in return for €1.25 million and 10% of striker Benni McCarthy's rights.[15]

After Mourinho's departure from Chelsea in September 2007,[16] Mendes oversaw his move to Inter Milan in 2008 for a fee that made him the highest paid coach in the world,[10] and then, in May 2010, that which saw him move from Inter to become Real Madrid's manager on a four-year contract worth £40 million

Jorge Mendes - Wikipedia

Trying to come up with our best 2nd 11 and i have come to the conclusion Levy needs to get his hands in his pocket if we want to go deep in the EL and have a good start in the PL as well.
You only have to watch the Watford friendly to work that out. Granted it was a friendly but the difference in quality of the players between the 1st XI and 2nd is frightening.

I would think the appeal of Bale is in part that he is coming cheap.

The easiest way for me to afford is sell Moura. Though since he is a Jose favourite doubt that’s happens.

Another way would be Levy realizes Bale situation is a bit unique and is willing to go over the budget a bit to make it happen.

But if we truly are so poor that adding Bale and a striker would break us I think a major redo of the squad is needed as that is a pretty dire situation to be in considering the (lack) of quality in our side.
20m salary and 20m fee is 40m for one year... over 3 years it's 80m minimum. Anything but cheap.

of course I'd want both, Bale and a striker. However, the season has almost started and we have decided that Callum Wilson, Oli Watkins are too expensive for us. We have missed out on targets and are now looking at who? Milik? That back up striker position has cost us heavily in two straight seasons yet we start a new season this weekend and it is still not filled.

I just posed the question as would Bale be more effective than bringing in what would be our 3rd/4th/5th back up striker option? He'd clearly elevate our best 11 more than any ST option we've seen, but of course we'd take a risk with some of our players minutes... like we have the last two seasons.
You could also switch Bale / Stevie B into Sonny’s usual wide position and put Sonny up top for games of Kane is injured.

Sadly, too expensive, but would suit the all-or-nothing short-term viewpoint of Jose.

20m salary and 20m fee is 40m for one year... over 3 years it's 80m minimum. Anything but cheap.

Well if it too expensive then we obviously dont do it.

Part of making a Bale deal is that the finances are reduced enough to make it worthwhile.

Genuine question.
Since when did Milik become a striker? iirc he played his entire career as LW.
He was never anything else that pure 9, though he's versatile enough to fit in other positions. There is no way someone steals Lewandowski's position in Polish national team, but Milik is 2nd best player in that squad and was forced to play as a 10, false 9, winger, etc. With mixed results, but wasn't terrible either. As LW though he is definitely the worst from all these listed.

I think there is zero chance we are going to sign him, the price is definitely higher that every single one striker we've been linked to this window. Over 30m easily, including Levy's masterclass.

[
I would like to think that our team of losers would be impressed to have a 4 time CL winner join them. A man who has won trophies purely on his own brilliance like the Copa in his first season or the CL against Liverpool.

But of course so much depends on his attitude. Zlatan was a success at United because he wanted to prove he could still do it at that level. If Bale doesn’t have that same hunger then he will not be of any use to us. I’m sure any manager considering signing him will want to have an honest conversation about his mindset before really pushing for him.
They would definitely be excited. He’s the polar opposite of Rose’s players you have to Google. Kane would be buzzing to play with him I reckon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom