Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another thing , the deals will be there. The cheap deals will be out there for us , we just need to stump up a little bit of cash.
I've seen rumours that we're losing £100m's... FFS , why do people believe that bs , we've not played 8 games without fans , do you think 8 games without fans equates to £100m . Check United's financial report , its not as bad as some people are saying. Also all games will be televised so TV money will not be affected..

:mourfacepalm:
Cracking player , 1goal and 5 assists this season. He's not Homegrown and he's not young. There's nothing in this deal which inspires me or excites me . Furthermore we're stacked in the LW position

And another thing , those who are comparing him to Shaqiri. Shaqiri was Stoke's best player and he was a lot better than Ryan Fraser was . Shaqiri was winning Stoke games on his own.
In his 3 seasons at Stoke Shaqiri scored a total of 15 goals and made a total of 15 assists.

In comparison Fraser has 18 goals and 32 assists since Bournemouth went up to the Premier League. And that's with one season less in the same league.

Shaqiri winning games on his own for Stoke is rewriting history. Arnautovic was the one who was able to win games on his own for Stokem, something he went on to do for West Ham. Shaqiri was always second fiddle to mad Marko.

Another thing , the deals will be there. The cheap deals will be out there for us , we just need to stump up a little bit of cash.
I've seen rumours that we're losing £100m's... FFS , why do people believe that bs , we've not played 8 games without fans , do you think 8 games without fans equates to £100m . Check United's financial report , its not as bad as some people are saying. Also all games will be televised so TV money will not be affected..
It’s more the fact that next season is heavily rumoured to be behind closed doors, Levy will not spend this summer if he thinks we will be damaged next season aswell as the tail end of this one.

the 100m’s bandied about is due to the fact our stadium is projected to make us around that much per season.

In his 3 seasons at Stoke Shaqiri scored a total of 15 goals and made a total of 15 assists.

In comparison Fraser has 18 goals and 32 assists since Bournemouth went up to the Premier League. And that's with one season less in the same league.

Shaqiri winning games on his own for Stoke is rewriting history. Arnautovic was the one who was able to win games on his own for Stokem, something he went on to do for West Ham. Shaqiri was always second fiddle to mad Marko.
Disagree. Shaqiri did more than stats
He was the Eriksen of Stoke just a little less quality...
Arnautovic maybe was their best player , but some argue its Shaqiri
The point is apart from a great season last season , Fraser is bang average and it horrifies me that our club somehow think we need to splash out wages on that type of player.

The point is apart from a great season last season , Fraser is bang average and it horrifies me that our club somehow think we need to splash out wages on that type of player.
Strongly disagree on Shaqiri having the same impact for Stoke as Eriksen did for us. Maybe if we compare him to Eriksen during his last two seasons when the motivation wasn't there anymore. Bar the odd game he never really looked like he cared about playing for them whenever I had to watch them.

Fraser at the very least shows a decent level of consistancy at the PL level. Something we would need in a squad player. We need to stop looking at every transfer as straight into the starting 11.

If that is the mindset we keep then we as a fanbase are never going to be happy.

fraser could well be a flop or just a bench player for us. But it could also turn out that the environment and team chemistry at Spurs is what he needs to take that next step.

I'm not asking how much you think we'll have to spend.

Question is/was how much do you expect C19 to knock off of our kitty(*)?
I'd assume we can all agree that C19 won't be adversely affecting our club any more than our rivals?

So the question is, not how much gets knocked off our transfer kitty, but what excuses will be rolled out by you and others if our rivals show more intent on strengthening their teams than we do?

Looking forward to Bill Madrid Bill Madrid 's annual Summer Window bingo card with great anticipation

I'm not asking how much you think we'll have to spend.

Question is/was how much do you expect C19 to knock off of our kitty(*)?

(*....Not what derisory amount could one attribute to the notion that "Levy is tight". I'm genuinely trying to side-step the repetitive boring part.)

I think this is a good question and one that should be approached thinking of risk assessment going forward. I think Levy will factor in company accounts and value in addition to increased liabilities when deciding budget for summer. So the loss of stadium income for next season will play a huge part in his decision along with the reduction in sale prices I could imagine a transfer budget of £100m now being £40m. I don’t think Levy thinks it’s reasonable to not have a budget I think £40m plus sales will be deemed affordable. At present I would accept that too.

If Rose is sold we need to get a LB.

Don't think for one second that Cirkin is ready to even be an understudy. Sess is not a LB.

Leaves Davies and he normally picks up injuries.

Really need to address the defence and DM before anything else.

If Rose is sold we need to get a LB.

Don't think for one second that Cirkin is ready to even be an understudy. Sess is not a LB.

Leaves Davies and he normally picks up injuries.

Really need to address the defence and DM before anything else.
Second Striker needed as well
Strongly disagree on Shaqiri having the same impact for Stoke as Eriksen did for us. Maybe if we compare him to Eriksen during his last two seasons when the motivation wasn't there anymore. Bar the odd game he never really looked like he cared about playing for them whenever I had to watch them.

Fraser at the very least shows a decent level of consistancy at the PL level. Something we would need in a squad player. We need to stop looking at every transfer as straight into the starting 11.

If that is the mindset we keep then we as a fanbase are never going to be happy.

fraser could well be a flop or just a bench player for us. But it could also turn out that the environment and team chemistry at Spurs is what he needs to take that next step.
Fraser is alright but honestly he's not good enough for Spurs , we shouldn't be using money to get him on a free . I'd rather we don't pay wages for him and use that fee to sign a cheap player like Eze for the future , makes way more sense. Shaqiri also was a good player , maybe in the last season he wanted a move and maybe he was inconsistent but there's no denying he was a quality player at Stoke.

I've read some Championship clubs are on the brink of being bust
How on earth would QPR not except between £5-10m + A couple of our youngsters permanent or on loan for Eze.
That £5m is a MASSIVE amount of money for them

Fraser makes sense to me not because he plays a need position, but because bringing him in on a free as a rotation winger and subsequently selling on players like Lamela and/or Lucas would be good business, allowing us to reinvest in positions of need.

The catch is that we already have a lot of business to do in the coming window--selling on Foyth, Rose, Walker-Peters, plus lots of positions of need--and we have two things working against us: (1) we have not shown an ability especially in recent history to expedite our business, and (2) we will be operating in a strange, compressed window at a time where the market is a complete unknown, and so teams will likely proceed cautiously.

Whomever we sign won't be 'playing behind kane'. They will be rotating with him. In the last couple of seasons Kane has had ankle and hamstring issues and has been forced to play too many minutes than his body can take.

Whomever comes in as backup striker will no doubt be starting a minimum of 20 games + more in sub appearances.

Kane's injury record

19/20 - 17 games missed (would have been more if season continued)
18/19 - 21 games missed
17/18 - 4 games missed
16/17 - 14 games missed
My point exactly. The insinuation that we couldn’t sell the position of rotating with Kane to a decent striker is just bollocks. 90% of the problem is to do with poor scouting and/or recruitment.

I've read some Championship clubs are on the brink of being bust
How on earth would QPR not except between £5-10m + A couple of our youngsters permanent or on loan for Eze.
That £5m is a MASSIVE amount of money for them

In any such situation they'll be hanging out for a mini bidding war.... Not like Eze is a well kept secret.

Fraser makes sense to me not because he plays a need position, but because bringing him in on a free as a rotation winger and subsequently selling on players like Lamela and/or Lucas would be good business, allowing us to reinvest in positions of need.

The catch is that we already have a lot of business to do in the coming window--selling on Foyth, Rose, Walker-Peters, plus lots of positions of need--and we have two things working against us: (1) we have not shown an ability especially in recent history to expedite our business, and (2) we will be operating in a strange, compressed window at a time where the market is a complete unknown, and so teams will likely proceed cautiously.

I think measures will be taken to avoid that.... Either the window will open on time or it will get extended.

Last edited:
It’s more the fact that next season is heavily rumoured to be behind closed doors, Levy will not spend this summer if he thinks we will be damaged next season aswell as the tail end of this one.

the 100m’s bandied about is due to the fact our stadium is projected to make us around that much per season.

Ive got a feeling we will be going to games next season. Clubs won’t want to miss out on a huge slice of income. Maybe it will be on reduced season tickets where people with them get to go to some games seated apart. Our stadium lends itself to social distancing pretty well actually if they plan it right.

I think it was Charlie Adam or Crouch who said that the season shaquiri turned up in some good games he would be anonymous for the rest of it making everyone e else’s job 10% harder. He didn’t go down well with his team mates.

Back
Top Bottom