Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see them having an interest in him, Pep has praised him before and they are always ready to overpay for players to fill their home grown quota.

Personally I would only allow it if we sign a world class player with the money, Winks is a good character and a Spurs man through and through, we need players like him. We don’t want to become a feeder club for better English teams again. If we sell Winks then the idea of selling Kane to City at some point becomes plausible.

I can see them having an interest in him, Pep has praised him before and they are always ready to overpay for players to fill their home grown quota.

Personally I would only allow it if we sign a world class player with the money, Winks is a good character and a Spurs man through and through, we need players like him. We don’t want to become a feeder club for better English teams again. If we sell Winks then the idea of selling Kane to City at some point becomes plausible.

I don't mind feeding better English teams players like Winks for 40m smelladeenies.

It's the "sign a world class player" bit I'm struggling with.

People who like Winks
Pep
Poch
Jose
Southgate

People who don't
Some fellas on an internet forum
I've said it before on here and been ridiculed for it, but I firmly believe Winks would look an excellent player as one of the two '8s' in Citys midfield ahead of Rodri or Fernandinho. He looks painfully average in many of our games but I genuinely think thats mainly down to the fact he's been played out of position for neigh on 3 seasons now.

I've said it before on here and been ridiculed for it, but I firmly believe Winks would look an excellent player as one of the two '8s' in Citys midfield ahead of Rodri or Fernandinho. He looks painfully average in many of our games but I genuinely think thats mainly down to the fact he's been played out of position for neigh on 3 seasons now.

Pep probably wants him to play CB.

Based on what?

He has never looked like he would be anything more than bang average for us but somehow would be a good fit on a better team with much better players?

I guess if you are saying he would look good there because the other players around him would be so good they could succeed without him contributing I could get that or that he would look good because they are good enough to do all his work for him but there is no way that playing Winks on City makes them a better team.

He is nowhere near that level of talent. He would stick out like a sore thumb and drive Pep crazy.

Which is why Pep would be smart to move for him now before Højbjerg starts playing for us and freeing Winksy up.

He'd be worth more than £40m if he came good.
:levyeyes:

Based on what?

He has never looked like he would be anything more than bang average for us but somehow would be a good fit on a better team with much better players?

I guess if you are saying he would look good there because the other players around him would be so good they could succeed without him contributing I could get that or that he would look good because they are good enough to do all his work for him but there is no way that playing Winks on City makes them a better team.

He is nowhere near that level of talent. He would stick out like a sore thumb and drive Pep crazy.
I would strongly disagree with that. In his first two seasons, particularly when played next to a strong defensive player like Wanyama, Winks looked to have a huge future ahead of him and played a few outstanding games, notably against Madrid in the Champions League. But for whatever reason, be it by choice or necessity, Poch then set about trying to mould him into a DM in the following seasons once Wanyama and Dier stared to decline.
Playing Winks DM is akin to (and before you pipe up, I’m not comparing his overall ability with the following players, just player type) Barca playing Xavi DM, Madrid playing Modric DM, Bayern playing Thiago DM, Liverpool playing Wijnaldum DM, Chelsea playing Kovacic DM, etc etc etc. He is not, and never will be, a DM. He’s not strong or quick enough, his tackling is rubbish and his positioning is highly suspect. But on the ball, he’s technically very sound, he can spot a pass and is a decent presser.
I’m not saying he would go to City and be a guaranteed starter and fuck shit up, but I do think he would go there, be played in his proper position and play in a system that doesn’t hoof the ball over midfield constantly, and ultimately look quite an accomplished player.

Now, that’s my last post on the topic because I think there’s very little chance that we will sell Harry Winks so it’s somewhat pointless talking about it.

Based on what?

Maybe not. Pep likes short, quick passes from midfielders that are designed to get the opposition out of position. He even likes backward and sideways passing if it gets defenders out of positions.

Maybe not. Pep likes short, quick passes from midfielders that are designed to get the opposition out of position. He even likes backward and sideways passing if it gets defenders out of positions.

Quick passes that get the defenders out of position are not in Winks game plan.

Back passes to let the defense reset and make his teammates make decisions are more of his speciality.

Back
Top Bottom