Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hopefully. Being a 31 year old man those are thing I do regularly, seeing as I'm a chef by trade. House is usually fairly clean and my partner and I both work in kitchens so we've just made sure we implement the same standards as when working in a restaurant...well a very clean one at least.

Anyone know where I can watch some old classic Spurs matches? I know full matches and shows has a decent selection going but they seem o only have the modern era Tottenham games at the moment.
Can I come over for dinner?

As I said, the fact that relegation fodder and newly promoted teams are marching into Europe says that the PL is weaker.

The middle and bottom teams have developed, the “elite” just no.
That’s how Leicester won the title.
Because they were better than everyone else.

How does that make the best teams stronger exactly?

Because the league isn't just 4 teams. It's 20.

As I said, the fact that relegation fodder and newly promoted teams are marching into Europe says that the PL is weaker.

The middle and bottom teams have developed, the “elite” just no.
That’s how Leicester won the title.
Because they were better than everyone else.

How does that make the best teams stronger exactly?
If the middle and bottom teams have improved and Pool and City are getting 100+ points (which Fergie never hit, most he got was 92) then obviously the elite have improved too ffs

Back in the day only man utd had money. Every time they had a bad season or transition etc Woolwich stepped in. & Woolwich didn't win the league again after chavs were bought by Roman.
Champions league is also a good indication. Last year Spurs, City and Pool in the quarter finals. Back in the day this didn't happen as prem teams were mostly shit in Europe (united treble aside).

Basically you're talking shite again

You're such a melt, Doc.
No. I'm a pragmatist and a realist
Our time will come. But not for a few years. It's like starting over. It's good to be in on a new era. I think by the time I retire, maybe 2022, we'll be a young vital team really challenging for the top.

Teams are spending more money; thus driving player prices up but are WestHam, Bournemouth and the like genuinely and significantly any better than they were?

We always had freak results so I'm not sure the fact that such teams beat a big boy once or twice a season is a strong indication of anything.

Granted the TV money and doping (City/Chavs) has created a top 6; but again, beyond that, is the mid to lower table any stronger?

Leicester: Surely that's more a comment upon everyone else rather than an endorsement of them being particularly good?

100 points seasons: Why were there not any in the earlier days of the EPL if the mid to lower echelons of the table were weaker?

Last edited:
Because the league isn't just 4 teams. It's 20.
And thats the point.
The elite teams are par with Sheffield Utd and Wolves now.
That doesn’t make the PL stronger, it means its more competitive within itself but far more average overall.
2016 Leicester would not have beaten scums 2003 team to the title, or Utd between 2006-2009.
In fact both those teams would walk most of the PL today, and despite a valiant effort from today’s Liverpool they would be brushed aside.

The clue is also in the level of managers....lost Wenger, SAF for Arteta and Ole at two of the countries biggest clubs.
Got the likes of Maguire and VVD instead of Rio and Terry (spit)
What RB now is fit to lace G.Nevilles boots?
Don’t give me Arnold, the blokes a forward.

Im starting to think you’re new to the game

If the middle and bottom teams have improved and Pool and City are getting 100+ points (which Fergie never hit, most he got was 92) then obviously the elite have improved too ffs

Back in the day only man utd had money. Every time they had a bad season or transition etc Woolwich stepped in. & Woolwich didn't win the league again after chavs were bought by Roman.
Champions league is also a good indication. Last year Spurs, City and Pool in the quarter finals. Back in the day this didn't happen as prem teams were mostly shit in Europe (united treble aside).

Basically you're talking shite again
Errrrrrr you absolute nob

SAF, the best manager in the history of football, never reached those points.......Because the PL was tougher.

CL? More British teams won the CL during SAFs era of the 2000s than they have since.
12 years compared to the last 8 and one have won it who just got knocked out and the most expensive team ever in history haven’t got further than the quarters.
Where they were done by a “shit team that was never invested in”.

Spurs 2010 would smash this Spurs team to bits

Errrrrrr you absolute nob

SAF, the best manager in the history of football, never reached those points.......Because the PL was tougher.

CL? More British teams won the CL during SAFs era of the 2000s than they have since.
12 years compared to the last 8 and one have won it who just got knocked out and the most expensive team ever in history haven’t got further than the quarters.
Where they were done by a “shit team that was never invested in”.

Spurs 2010 would smash this Spurs team to bits
Fergie had all the money. He would weaken rivals by buying their best players. It was a 1 horse race and Wenger still beat him a few times!

His dominance dropped more once Chavs and City got money.

Best manager in football history lol behave.

There is a contract between the EPL and the Championship covering promotion / relegation and parachute payments, did you think it was all done on a hearty handshake?

The EPL can't unilaterally decide to relocate payments it's contractual bound to make just as it can't refuse promotion if the season is concluded ... promotion can be worth 100's of millions sure a club denied will sue, wouldn't you?

The only solution is to either complete the season in full or void the season, that way any contract will either be fulfilled or made null and void ...

The problem is time, if they get past the end of June I just don't see how it happens, there are almost 90 EPL games still to be played any one team still being quarantined it's all over.

Yes but its 6 championship clubs suing - and atm there are at least a dozen championship clubs who could get to PL, but in order to sort that out they need to find a way to complete the 9 or so matches which the 24 clubs in championship have left to determine who gets promoted. That's why a legal challenge is bound to fail as the contract between PL and EFL would say something like top 3 clubs at end of season (subject to various criteria such as meeting fit and proper owners, appropriate stadium etc)

Those clubs not selected for promotion aren't going to be that happy if 3 of their number get promoted without some form of compensation (so that means an internal efl legal bloodbath ?).

And chances of playing the remaining championship games is even less than resolving the 90 odd games in PL.

And the deadline of player contracts expiring on 30 June pretty much rules out any extension to the season.

Hence pretty much the only option is to void the season of all the leagues.

And as I say it would soften the blow a little if PL invested the relegation parachute payments it wont need to make by making a payment to championship to redistribute.

And thats the point.
The elite teams are par with Sheffield Utd and Wolves now.
That doesn’t make the PL stronger, it means its more competitive within itself but far more average overall.
2016 Leicester would not have beaten scums 2003 team to the title, or Utd between 2006-2009.
In fact both those teams would walk most of the PL today, and despite a valiant effort from today’s Liverpool they would be brushed aside.

The clue is also in the level of managers....lost Wenger, SAF for Arteta and Ole at two of the countries biggest clubs.
Got the likes of Maguire and VVD instead of Rio and Terry (spit)
What RB now is fit to lace G.Nevilles boots?
Don’t give me Arnold, the blokes a forward.

Im starting to think you’re new to the game

No. I'm a pragmatist and a realist
Our time will come. But not for a few years. It's like starting over. It's good to be in on a new era. I think by the time I retire, maybe 2022, we'll be a young vital team really challenging for the top.

:vert:

"Realism" = "We would sell Kane and not replace him"???

Sure! :roll:

You're the guy that said "I don't know much about modern football, so go easy on me" yet forecasts all kinds of doom and gloom based upon our commercial and financial operations despite the "modern" game being more and more a commercially/financially driven entity. Meanwhile, also adopting all the tropes of the serial nay-sayers such as posting "lol' ratings on any player links posted (eg Eze?)... Poch was shit, Jose's shit, 90% of the players are shit...

It's blatant that you eat up the horseshit that some other posters preach such as "Levy steals money" etc.

Maybe you should "go easy" on how the club is run, if you "don't know much" about it... Especially being a man of science (i.e. proof & evidence)?

As for all the "by 2022" spiel? .....Why are you naysaying the notion that we'll replenish the squad then?

You're a drama queen, Doc.

Absolutely, and unequivocally the PL is vastly stronger than it was between 2000-2008.

You are maybe looking at Utd, Woolwich, Chelsea, Spurs having meh seasons and forming that opinion, but the reason these huge clubs can no longer have meh seasons and still piss through into the CL is that the rest - from 7-20 are now so much stronger than back then.

How an earth do you think it was even possible for Leicester to win the PL a couple of years back.

There is so much money in the PL that evennthe mid-low table clubs can buy better recruitment analytics, hire better coaches, buy better players, the academies in England are now massively superior to what they were producing 15 years ago.

15 years ago Kane would have been taken off us by ManU after one or two decent seasons, just to asset strip a competitor - the uber clubs are finding this much harder to do to their rivals now, because we all have so much money we can resist more often.

The quality of coaching, tactical, philosophical, nutritional, physical conditioning, sports science. All quantum improvement on 15-20 years.

This season the top end of the PL might not be showcasing that coaching/philosophy to the max with people like Lampard, Solskjaer, Mourinho but survival and evolution will soon correct any imbalances, football is not a long term game.
Perhaps you could answer the reply Airfixx sent me.

Absolutely, and unequivocally the PL is vastly stronger than it was between 2000-2008.

You are maybe looking at Utd, Woolwich, Chelsea, Spurs having meh seasons and forming that opinion, but the reason these huge clubs can no longer have meh seasons and still piss through into the CL is that the rest - from 7-20 are now so much stronger than back then.

How an earth do you think it was even possible for Leicester to win the PL a couple of years back.

There is so much money in the PL that evennthe mid-low table clubs can buy better recruitment analytics, hire better coaches, buy better players, the academies in England are now massively superior to what they were producing 15 years ago.

15 years ago Kane would have been taken off us by ManU after one or two decent seasons, just to asset strip a competitor - the uber clubs are finding this much harder to do to their rivals now, because we all have so much money we can resist more often.

The quality of coaching, tactical, philosophical, nutritional, physical conditioning, sports science. All quantum improvement on 15-20 years.

This season the top end of the PL might not be showcasing that coaching/philosophy to the max with people like Lampard, Solskjaer, Mourinho but survival and evolution will soon correct any imbalances, football is not a long term game.
Excellent post.

Back
Top Bottom