Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I feel like Levy and the board have planned the club, with the new stadium etc to have CL football very consistently. I think this season may be a kick up the arse and he may panic a little. Can't imagine mid table mediocrity would be financially viable long term.

Due to this hopefully he opens up the pursestrings more than he is usually willing to do, because it's looking pretty desperate.
Dream on, pal. I really can't see it unless we really are going to sell Harry. Then we'll have no true strikers. I'll support through thick and thin but I have no real expectation of the next few seasons. Spurs need to press the reset button and I'm not convinced either Jose or ENIC are willing or able to do that. I suppose we won't know until the summer but I'm not really expecting us to win the PL next year. And I worry too about the way we wasted the Bale money. Harry would bring in as much if not more
Without a DoF, we are capable of doing the same. I'm not a believer at all but I'm on the point of praying.

Dream on, pal. I really can't see it unless we really are going to sell Harry. Then we'll have no true strikers. I'll support through thick and thin but I have no real expectation of the next few seasons. Spurs need to press the reset button and I'm not convinced either Jose or ENIC are willing or able to do that. I suppose we won't know until the summer but I'm not really expecting us to win the PL next year. And I worry too about the way we wasted the Bale money. Harry would bring in as much if not more
Without a DoF, we are capable of doing the same. I'm not a believer at all but I'm on the point of praying.

You're such a melt, Doc.

So you still think the PL is stronger now than it was between 2000-2008?

The likes of Sheff Utd marching into the CL don’t back you up by the way.
It’s more competitive because the top 4 (now top 6) has four mid table level teams in it.
I don't think it's a comparison that can be made. It's a completely different game played in a completely different way. Like trying to pair up Ali and Marciano or Pele and Ronaldinho.

I don't think it's a comparison that can be made. It's a completely different game played in a completely different way. Like trying to pair up Ali and Marciano or Pele and Ronaldinho.

Really?

In tangible terms; how so?

I feel like Levy and the board have planned the club, with the new stadium etc to have CL football very consistently. I think this season may be a kick up the arse and he may panic a little. Can't imagine mid table mediocrity would be financially viable long term.

Due to this hopefully he opens up the purse strings more than he is usually willing to do, because it's looking pretty desperate.
You think wrong ... read the notes in the accounts or Levy's responses to the THST ... the club DOES NOT include European income in it's financial planning.
Off course having an extra 100m a year income is better than not having it but there will be no panic.

Max Aarons is a fine RB but I’m not convinced he’s going to be a world beater. He’s had some good games, a lot of bad ones too. Ben Godfrey is the best defender in that team imo and it’s not close.

So you still think the PL is stronger now than it was between 2000-2008?

The likes of Sheff Utd marching into the CL don’t back you up by the way.
It’s more competitive because the top 4 (now top 6) has four mid table level teams in it.

Absolutely, and unequivocally the PL is vastly stronger than it was between 2000-2008.

You are maybe looking at Utd, Woolwich, Chelsea, Spurs having meh seasons and forming that opinion, but the reason these huge clubs can no longer have meh seasons and still piss through into the CL is that the rest - from 7-20 are now so much stronger than back then.

How an earth do you think it was even possible for Leicester to win the PL a couple of years back.

There is so much money in the PL that evennthe mid-low table clubs can buy better recruitment analytics, hire better coaches, buy better players, the academies in England are now massively superior to what they were producing 15 years ago.

15 years ago Kane would have been taken off us by ManU after one or two decent seasons, just to asset strip a competitor - the uber clubs are finding this much harder to do to their rivals now, because we all have so much money we can resist more often.

The quality of coaching, tactical, philosophical, nutritional, physical conditioning, sports science. All quantum improvement on 15-20 years.

This season the top end of the PL might not be showcasing that coaching/philosophy to the max with people like Lampard, Solskjaer, Mourinho but survival and evolution will soon correct any imbalances, football is not a long term game.

Absolutely, and unequivocally the PL is vastly stronger than it was between 2000-2008.

You are maybe looking at Utd, Woolwich, Chelsea, Spurs having meh seasons and forming that opinion, but the reason these huge clubs can no longer have meh seasons and still piss through into the CL is that the rest - from 7-20 are now so much stronger than back then.

How an earth do you think it was even possible for Leicester to win the PL a couple of years back.

There is so much money in the PL that evennthe mid-low table clubs can buy better recruitment analytics, hire better coaches, buy better players, the academies in England are now massively superior to what they were producing 15 years ago.

15 years ago Kane would have been taken off us by ManU after one or two decent seasons, just to asset strip a competitor - the uber clubs are finding this much harder to do to their rivals now, because we all have so much money we can resist more often.

The quality of coaching, tactical, philosophical, nutritional, physical conditioning, sports science. All quantum improvement on 15-20 years.

This season the top end of the PL might not be showcasing that coaching/philosophy to the max with people like Lampard, Solskjaer, Mourinho but survival and evolution will soon correct any imbalances, football is not a long term game.

As I said, the fact that relegation fodder and newly promoted teams are marching into Europe says that the PL is weaker.

The middle and bottom teams have developed, the “elite” just no.
That’s how Leicester won the title.
Because they were better than everyone else.

How does that make the best teams stronger exactly?

Back
Top Bottom