Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:vert:

"Realism" = "We would sell Kane and not replace him"???

Sure! :roll:

You're the guy that said "I don't know much about modern football, so go easy on me" yet forecasts all kinds of doom and gloom based upon our commercial and financial operations despite the "modern" game being more and more a commercially/financially driven entity. Meanwhile, also adopting all the tropes of the serial nay-sayers such as posting "lol' ratings on any player links posted (eg Eze?)... Poch was shit, Jose's shit, 90% of the players are shit...

It's blatant that you eat up the horseshit that some other posters preach such as "Levy steals money" etc.

Maybe you should "go easy" on how the club is run, if you "don't know much" about it... Especially being a man of science (i.e. proof & evidence)?

As for all the "by 2022" spiel? .....Why are you naysaying the notion that we'll replenish the squad then?

You're a drama queen, Doc.
Maybe. But I'm a bloody good surgeon should you ever need me.

And thats the point.
The elite teams are par with Sheffield Utd and Wolves now.
That doesn’t make the PL stronger, it means its more competitive within itself but far more average overall.
2016 Leicester would not have beaten scums 2003 team to the title, or Utd between 2006-2009.
In fact both those teams would walk most of the PL today, and despite a valiant effort from today’s Liverpool they would be brushed aside.

The clue is also in the level of managers....lost Wenger, SAF for Arteta and Ole at two of the countries biggest clubs.
Got the likes of Maguire and VVD instead of Rio and Terry (spit)
What RB now is fit to lace G.Nevilles boots?
Don’t give me Arnold, the blokes a forward.

Im starting to think you’re new to the game

Don't think you grasp the theory of evolution .... I'm starting to think you’re new to the human race

Man / Woman get better every generation, not guesswork but fact, just look at world records in every sporting activity and they are constantly being improved. That's not hard to understand with medicine, diet, conditioning and training methods all invariably improving it's to be expected.

Football is exactly the same, players are faster, stronger, fitter than they were a decade ago and on a completely different planet to their smoking, drinking pie and mash eating counterparts of the '70's.

To imagine the richest sport on the planet has not seen the highest level of player development is naive, as for managers? The argument has little merit, given eleven stronger, fitter, faster players you or I could manage a team to beat Wenger or SAF's team of 20 years ago ....

You're saying that physical improvement is a factor of management, not really, the best teams, the same teams, have dominated Europe for decades with dozens of different managers. Having the best players is what matters, the manager is just the final piece ... if not Forest Green would appoint Wenger/SAF and be EPL champions in three years ...

There’s not one single player in Europe on this level today
No there's hundreds ... Keane wouldn't last 45 minutes let alone 90 ... players today cover 25% more yards per game than they did in Keane's day ... he wouldn't even make the bench at Villa and if he did get on he'd be red carded after about 5 minutes .... world's moved on get used to it.

Remember not one winner of the 100m from the last century would even make it through to the first round at today's standard ... football is no different.

Last edited:
Yes but its 6 championship clubs suing - and atm there are at least a dozen championship clubs who could get to PL, but in order to sort that out they need to find a way to complete the 9 or so matches which the 24 clubs in championship have left to determine who gets promoted. That's why a legal challenge is bound to fail as the contract between PL and EFL would say something like top 3 clubs at end of season (subject to various criteria such as meeting fit and proper owners, appropriate stadium etc)

Those clubs not selected for promotion aren't going to be that happy if 3 of their number get promoted without some form of compensation (so that means an internal efl legal bloodbath ?).

And chances of playing the remaining championship games is even less than resolving the 90 odd games in PL.

And the deadline of player contracts expiring on 30 June pretty much rules out any extension to the season.

Hence pretty much the only option is to void the season of all the leagues.

And as I say it would soften the blow a little if PL invested the relegation parachute payments it wont need to make by making a payment to championship to redistribute.
I see what you're saying ... 100% the Championship clubs will have no case if they don't complete their league ... not sure where you're at with the parachute payment, if the league is voided we go back to the end of 2019 so the parachute payment will again go to the three clubs relegated that season, they've already spent this year's so will need it again. If you void the season you must start everything back at square one, including parachute payments, or the courts will have a field day.

Voiding the league more and more looks like a sensible option ...

As I said, the fact that relegation fodder and newly promoted teams are marching into Europe says that the PL is weaker.

No it doesn't, the PL currently holds the Europa and the CL titles having filled all four places in those two finals.

The elite have developed, just not all of them at the same time, it's always cyclical. ManC and Liverpool respectively have just had two season of absolutely smashing everything that moves and getting record points totals.

Solskjaer and Lampard will either prove to be quick learners or Utd and Chelsea will get proper managers in and resurge sooner or later and Guardiola will leave City and it will all swap about a bit. But there's now a top 8 bunch of clubs who can all easily hit Top 4 - that was never even remotely possible 15 years ago.

And the deadline of player contracts expiring on 30 June pretty much rules out any extension to the season.

Why would player contracts running out on June 30 (which I know many will) stop an extension to the season? Clubs would either have to re-sign those who's final year runs out, sign new players or just play without those players who's contracts have run down, no?

That's if they chose to extend the season?

Crisis discussions are on going at clubs anf FA.

- VISAs for foreign nationals in non-essential jobs likely to be halted for at least 1 year (i.e. no foreign signings)
- Players may choose to return to their home country
- Transfer window likely to stay closed over summer
- A significant number of clubs require a 'bail out' to keep operating. Expect a couple of Prem and a lot of lower league clubs over the next month to announce that they can no longer pay staff and players.

Clubs are worried that they will be stuck paying salaries to players who are unable to return to England; through fear, ill health or commitment to family. Expect the number of home grown players to increase significantly when football starts up next; with a lot of the youth team getting a chance to play.

The good news is that they days of 30m+ players on 100k+ a week are now GONE. Players WILL be forced to take pay cuts to prevent the clubs going bankrupt.

No there's hundreds ... Keane wouldn't last 45 minutes let alone 90 ... players today cover 25% more yards per game than they did in Keane's day ... he wouldn't even make the bench at Villa and if he did get on he'd be red carded after about 5 minutes .... world's moved on get used to it.

Remember not one winner of the 100m from the last century would even make it through to the first round at today's standard ... football is no different.
So Greaves was shit then I guess

Don't think you grasp the theory of evolution .... I'm starting to think you’re new to the human race

Man / Woman get better every generation, not guesswork but fact, just look at world records in every sporting activity and they are constantly being improved. That's not hard to understand with medicine, diet, conditioning and training methods all invariably improving it's to be expected.

Football is exactly the same, players are faster, stronger, fitter than they were a decade ago and on a completely different planet to their smoking, drinking pie and mash eating counterparts of the '70's.

To imagine the richest sport on the planet has not seen the highest level of player development is naive, as for managers? The argument has little merit, given eleven stronger, fitter, faster players you or I could manage a team to beat Wenger or SAF's team of 20 years ago ....

You're saying that physical improvement is a factor of management, not really, the best teams, the same teams, have dominated Europe for decades with dozens of different managers. Having the best players is what matters, the manager is just the final piece ... if not Forest Green would appoint Wenger/SAF and be EPL champions in three years ...
Oh I get evolution but I also get that VVD wouldn’t be considered a top CB in 2004

Playing today he'd struggle in League 2 .... but in the 60's he was the dogs ... you do realise you're destroying your own argument, Jimmy loved a fag and a pint, couldn't run fifty yards without running out of breath.
No you are taking today’s fitness levels as a skill set
Roy Keane in today’s training program would be the best CM in Europe by a country mile

You do realise that Henderson plays for the best team in Europe right?

No you are taking today’s fitness levels as a skill set
Roy Keane in today’s training program would be the best CM in Europe by a country mile

You do realise that Henderson plays for the best team in Europe right?
Now that may indeed be true, but 2004 Roy Keane might today get a game at Southend, but at a top team not a prayer.

Liverpool are not the best team in Europe ... wash you're mouth out with soap.

Now that may indeed be true, but 2004 Roy Keane might today get a game at Southend, but at a top team not a prayer.

Liverpool are not the best team in Europe ... wash you're mouth out with soap.

Are you applying the same logic to the likes of Paulo Maldini and Gattuso and Zidane?
What about Hoddle, is he also shit because the games changed?

You are only talking about relative fitness.
Might as well say that Janssen would be better than Klknsmann then

Are you applying the same logic to the likes of Paulo Maldini and Gattuso and Zidane?
What about Hoddle, is he also shit because the games changed?

You are only talking about relative fitness.
Might as well say that Janssen would be better than Klknsmann then

Not at all super stars all of them, Janssen might have been a god in the 60's ... Hoddle is my all time favourite player (well maybe Stevie P) neither would get near our current first eleven based on their 1980's abilities.

Back
Top Bottom