Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what pissed people off was that the club met with him and were "shocked" to discover that he wanted money to spend on our average squad. With Joe Lewis being as tight as a duck's arse, the meeting was over. Conte didn't bankrupt Juventus did he?

Your comment reads as "Inter are going skint, isn't Levy wonderful for not getting Conte?"

No.
Do think Spurs have shown that to be the case in this window with the players that we've bought and the players that we are currently linked with?

Yet he didn't deem what we are doing now to be enough!

I think what pissed people off was that the club met with him and were "shocked" to discover that he wanted money to spend on our average squad. With Joe Lewis being as tight as a duck's arse, the meeting was over. Conte didn't bankrupt Juventus did he?

Your comment reads as "Inter are going skint, isn't Levy wonderful for not getting Conte?"

No.

We dont know what exactly he asked for. Could very easily have gone into talks expecting significant investment, and STILL been shocked by his demands.

I know Ali Gold said, for example, he basically wanted to gut our entire staff and bring his own people in (backroom/medical, the lot). This is a huge ask for any manager.

I get he is top of his game, massive reputation, and so of course will swing his weight a bit - but even so - his demands can still have been shocking.

And the mention of Joe Lewis - I doubt he gives a fuck or has much to say. Thats what Levy is for.

I'm sorry, but there's no way that this club would spend 95 million euros on any player, let alone Martinez. That story is clearly bullshit. There's also no chance that they wouldn't accept such a ridiculous offer

Hmmmm not sure I fully agree. They must have a budget defined for players from Levy and the FD….. I would hope they don’t need to present a business case to Levy to sign off the footballing qualities of potential players. If it forms part of the budget allocated for players, then Levy’s input should be minimal

I see what you mean. I don't mean that every single thing has to go through Levy.
But Martinez has market value (according to Transfermarkt) of 80 mEUR.

That is enormous outlay of money. And if that amount is put into one player, I am 1000% sure that it both WILL go and HAS TO go through chairman. It is absolutely logical from any kind of business logic.

Hmmmm not sure I fully agree. They must have a budget defined for players from Levy and the FD….. I would hope they don’t need to present a business case to Levy to sign off the footballing qualities of potential players. If it forms part of the budget allocated for players, then Levy’s input should be minimal

I assume that to be the case generally, but think this would fall under an exceptional move - rather than standard.

IE, we have a budget and plan and Paratici is free to work through that - but he has come across an unexpected opportunity, a costly one but worth pursuing, and so needs to get the ok to proceed with it.

It would almost certainly entail re working the budget, finding more finance etc...

Inters owners are broke and are selling off assets everywhere to recover the costs.
Conte didn't bankrupt Juve or Chelsea.
Chavs are technically bankrupt if you factor in the £1.7BILLION that Abrohvic has spent and is OWED by the Club. Their revenues do not cover this debt, but it's OK because it's the Russian people who have had their mineral wealth removed from the country by Abramovic to finance the Chelsea vanity project.

Inter are on the verge of bankruptcy and he couldn't get out of the club fast enough knowing that he couldn't repeat what he'd done the previous year without the unprecedented investment that he was driving and toughing his toys out of the pram if that investment wasn't made (did exactly the same at Chavs too).

Messi, Martinez, Vlahovic. Only two possibilities - Kane is leaving (already agreed with City but no being announced until we have replacements) and we are spending his money or we are about to be brought by the oil rich nation of Dubai.

It basically says that a deal is agreed and that all that is needed now is Vlahovic's signature. A pityr really because he was the man I wanted to replace Kane should he leave....

This post just proves how far from any kind of reality most posters are :avbshock:

Yes, Patrici is appointed to look after the football side of things. But Levy is still chairman of the club.
If we are to make a record purchase (Martinez price most likely would exceed 70 mil EUR), it is absolutely logical that decisions which have that kind of impact WILL be confirmed with chairman. In current climate this 70 mil is 17-20% of total yearly revenue of the club ffs.

You don't expect that if Apple would be purchasing some microchip producing company for like 50 bn USD, then this decision would be made by head of production / engeneering?!? Absolutely obvious that such kind of decisions go through boardroom and CEO.
Just the department it will be associated with will make proposal, gather info, lay out benefits and downsides etc.
I would expect Patrici already knows how much there is to spend, why would he go for players that we can't afford??? That would be pointless.

I would expect Patrici already knows how much there is to spend, why would he go for players that we can't afford??? That would be pointless.
Because he saw or was made aware of an opportunity and decided to sound out Daniel to see if we could scrounge up some extra coin to make it work.

He wouldn't be the first or the last sporting director to do that.

He still would have to consult Levy & Lewis and the others on the board about every purchase. Do you think Levy all of a sudden does not want to have any say about incoming players?

Messi, Martinez, Vlahovic. Only two possibilities - Kane is leaving (already agreed with City but no being announced until we have replacements) and we are spending his money or we are about to be brought by the oil rich nation of Dubai.
I read DAZN were close to an agreement on stadium naming rights.

Do think Spurs have shown that to be the case in this window with the players that we've bought and the players that we are currently linked with?

Yet he didn't deem what we are doing now to be enough!

Well, it depends mate really. I'm very happy we have signed a defender, that's been the weakest area of our team. And we have signed a promising youngster and a backup goalkeeper (and the keeper looks decent in what we have seen of him). But it depends who else we buy and sell before we can say how good/ambitious the window has been.

We dont know what exactly he asked for. Could very easily have gone into talks expecting significant investment, and STILL been shocked by his demands.

I know Ali Gold said, for example, he basically wanted to gut our entire staff and bring his own people in (backroom/medical, the lot). This is a huge ask for any manager.

I get he is top of his game, massive reputation, and so of course will swing his weight a bit - but even so - his demands can still have been shocking.

And the mention of Joe Lewis - I doubt he gives a fuck or has much to say. Thats what Levy is for.

I don't really disagree with any of that. But as you say, he is a top name and the best available. If we - as a club with a squad in need of major surgery who have just finished 7th in the league - want a manager like that, then it seems fair to say he'd want to make major changes. We are the ones asking him to drop a level and he clearly only wants to win, hence his leaving Inter in the first place.

I just took issue with the post that intimated he'd have bankrupted us. He didn't bankrupt Juventus as far as I know and Inter's circumstances seem like an issue with the overall finances of the owner, not just the club itself.

Not that any of it matters now, I am more interested in who else we sign!

Again far from reality...

First of all : availability of resources is ALWAYS subjective for big fish.
If Messi would want to come here for total cost of 10 mil, but it would be above our transfer budget, we can always find a way. Either do take on some more loan, make special deal with some existing sponsor etc. Company / investor X could have 0 cash on deposit but if an asset becomes available for very good price for whatever reason - he could draw money by collaterizing some exisiting assets etc.

Second of all (and this one here has been explained multitude of times) : deal structures on current transfer market is not as it was in public marketplace in 1800s. It is not like "good x costs 10 pennies. drop them on my hand and I will hand over this good!". Deals are structured with installments, and it could be that this 80 mil outlay might be split into 4 and 1st installment can be only 15 mil maybe. With promise to deliver further payments in future (also look at Romero deal structure; initial outlay almost 0).

So yea, there are way more details to consider and it is logical that chairman has a say in big deals that might affect our spending power for 4-5 years into future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom