Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the size of investment?

Give them confidence its the right thing to sign off £60m+ (seen up to €90m reported!)?

Ultimately Paratici convinced them NES is the way to go, so its not like theyre fighting him on these things - rather just looking for comfort in the deals?
We finished 7th last season, CV wasn't good enough and got sent back. what more convincing do they need? If they want top 4 they have to pony up.

I think what pissed people off was that the club met with him and were "shocked" to discover that he wanted money to spend on our average squad.

"Shocked"? ......Not really. I suspect that's your words; not a quote.

No harm in sounding the guy out..... Peeps would have moaned just as much if we hadn't.

We finished 7th last season, CV wasn't good enough and got sent back. what more convincing do they need? If they want top 4 they have to pony up.
If its a CV like loan (to possibly buy) I doubt they care.

If its a £10-20m punt I doubt itll come up on their radar.

If its a £60,000,000+ investment - itll get their attention.

Perhaps "convincing" isnt the best word, perhaps "seeking confidence" "wanting comfort" "assurances its a good deal" would be more appropriate?

Ultimately, if a business is to spend that sort of money, impacting finances over years, and with the potential to be a loss as well - Id expect the board to have a few questions.

Why?

Under each of them we spent what we could. We reinvested on the back of sales, and simply invested as well.

Poch spent an utter fortune in his last window.

Off the top of my head Van Der Vaart was such an opportunity, relative peanuts today but was a fair investment in extra spend and wages at the time...
Because they all didnt get the vital players when they needed to them. I'm sure you don't need me to go over the history of this. The only club to spend nothing in the 2018 summer transfer window.

This guys highlight concern anyone else? Not saying he isn't talented, but most of his goals seem to be pretty routine. Nothing really jumps off the screen at me.

I remember similar being levelled at Berba when he signed (Though I think they are very different players with the ball). A player who never seems marked when he gets his chances is a player who knows how to find space in the box.

Then again I said the same about Janssen based on his Erevidisie highlights reel 😳

So Inter now linked with Martial, one year loan and then purchase for 50 mill next summer. Not sure how they can do this when Inter still owe 47 mill to Utd for the Lukaku transfer. So that's Martial, Dzeko, Correa and Zapata all being lined up according to the press.
Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

So what you are saying is that after 7th place finish we should just panic around and buy bunch of players that we can get our hands on?

You seem like a guy with really well thought through plans and strategies :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would expect Patrici already knows how much there is to spend, why would he go for players that we can't afford??? That would be pointless.

People here always bang on about certain opportunities being too big to ignore (also see Conte).

.....Hence speaking to Levy.

The flipside is people complaining "grrr... why didn't we at least look into it?".

Can't win.

Hey Stanley! How you doing, homez? :)
Bit mixed tbh,

Graduated first of my class, got the job I wanted so I have that going for me, which is nice.
On the other hand, my mother is not doing well, suffered a (brain?) stroke two weeks ago and today I had to drive her to the ER again. It's bit confrontational that this sort of transition started from "my parents take care of me" to "I need to take care of my parents". It's all a bit scary, but we're surrounded by a lot of love and support from friends and family.

Been a bit absent from the forum lately, I like visiting this site because I'm too curious about Spurs and I just love all the inside jokes. When Mourinho was fired, I knew the arguing amongst each other would dominate the threads too much, so I took a step back, waiting for better times to come, and this site becoming more enjoyable to read again.

I think claiming a player increases club revenue is like claiming the Royal family pay for themselves with tourism. There's no way to quantify the latter and there's no way to really make money with the former. Shy of renegotiating our already big deal with Nike, they'll take the bulk of shirt sales. Stadium can only take 63k with or without Messi. Tickets aren't suddenly going to quadruple (not even Levy)

Bout £15m less iirc. But again, we didn't waste money on him as a backup for Kane.

That guy will have his pick of every club in the world next year and he's barely matured.
I'd bet my arse United will go in extremely hard next season. He's not gonna sign for Spurs now or any time soon. And he seems to be a clever boy, wherever he goes he'll get himself a sensible buyout clause.
Soldado tried hard but only scored 2 goals, how is that success ?

People here always bang on about certain opportunities being too big to ignore (also see Conte).

.....Hence speaking to Levy.

The flipside is people complaining "grrr... why didn't we at least look into it?".

Can't win.
Right but we have ignored them countless times.
If the money isn't there Levy won't sanction it.

Why do they need convincing though that Martinez is the player we need?
I am just guessing and not claiming I have any inside info.
Say Paratici has a certain budget to work with but then a player like Martinez or even Messi becomes available; so he calls Levy to see if he is willing to increase the budget in such a case.
In any club, whether it's the manager/head-coach or DoF, they always have to go through their chairman. Or maybe Levy prefers, say, Vlahovic.
F.ex., although do not believe that Spurs will buy Messi, I could believe that Levy would not have been against the idea if PSG had not entered into the frame, as Spurs have no chance to match their financial packet.
It's lots of money and if such purchases fail if they will have severe consequences.
Any boss, not just an EPL "boss", will like to have a say regarding major expenses.

Because they all didnt get the vital players when they needed to them. I'm sure you don't need me to go over the history of this. The only club to spend nothing in the 2018 summer transfer window.

There were the right players available AND attainable? We had the money / facility at the right time? The player(s) wanted to come?

Its a bit simplistic to flatly say "didnt get the players when they needed them". There are a multitude of factors and reasons at play to effect the outcomes.

And even then - lets say you are absolutely right. Is there no room to learn from these things and change tact? Or are we to believe "this is how we used to operate, so this is how we will operate for the rest of time"!?

We have a new stadium, the entire project designed to boost our income and ability to invest. Perhaps with that now in place we have the ability to go out and take a shot at a Martinez type opportunity.

And regardless of any of that, if youre spending that much outside of the norm, the board (of any company) are going to want to understand what its all about before signing it off.

I am just guessing and not claiming I have any inside info.
Say Paratici has a certain budget to work with but then a player like Martinez or even Messi becomes available; so he calls Levy to see if he is willing to increase the budget in such a case.
In any club, whether it's the manager/head-coach or DoF, they always have to go through their chairman. Or maybe Levy prefers, say, Vlahovic.
F.ex., although do not believe that Spurs will buy Messi, I could believe that Levy would not have been against the idea if PSG had not entered into the frame, as Spurs have no chance to match their financial packet.
It's lots of money and if such purchases fail if they will have severe consequences.
Any boss, not just an EPL "boss", will like to have a say regarding major expenses.
And that's where I say Levy would need to butt out and let the DOF do his job or sack him and take the job himself. I don't Levy is interested in Messi but saying we are makes us looks ambitious, free publicity.

Watch us go from Martinez, to a last day of the window league 2 wonder striker signing 🤣🤣

yep 100% and this is my worry. We are fucking around with the striker situation and I can just see another Frazier Campbell situation. Will be livid if we sell Harry Kane at the end and we are replacing him with panic buys like Ivan Toni for instance. You literally can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom